Zombie Summer of 2016 NBA Free Agency

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OSUBlazerfan, Feb 18, 2016.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I think people here underestimate Aminu's value around the league.

This is a guy who would be a rotation player on literally every team in the league, and he's signed on to a reasonable, long term, DECLINING contract.

If it comes to it, the moment Neil places Aminu on the trading block he's going to have 6-7 suitors lined up and then he can just pick the best deal.

2. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

The Warriors could also give Barnes the MAX, then trade him in the offseason of 2017. AI's contract would also be expiring then if they chose to replace him. I do not think they let someone shooting over 40% from 3 walk for nothing.

I think he would be very good here though.

Draco likes this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

41% is pretty good even if Curry and Thompson are getting most of the attention. Interesting he only takes 3 per game.
    Crabbe on the other hand takes 4 per game off the bench and shoots just above 37%.

I ask this question again...is Barnes better than Crabbe? I honestly do not know the answer, but I do think it is pretty close. My gut says Barnes could be a better post up player, but Crabbe has a more effective floater. I assume Barnes is a better finisher with his crazy hops. But in terms of D, both have the same wing span, with Crabbe having a longer standing reach. I do think Crabbe works harder on D.

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Crabbe fouls a ton; his defense is overrated. I do think he's a superior shooter but Barnes is more physical and versatile defensively.

Charcoal Filtered likes this.
  5. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

If Barnes were on our roster, do you think Aminu would be starting? Crabbe may be a better 2 than Barnes is a 3 though.

6. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Barnes would definitely start for us at 3 this year. But pretend he was making max this year for us. He wouldn't be THAT much better than Aminu compared to the huge discrepancy in contract.

7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I'd love to get Pau Gasol for a 2 year deal. He's still an all-star and is a great fit offensively and defensively. He could also be a mentor to Vonleh. That's the type of guy I could see Olshey signing on the first day, leaving space to still go after a Horford or Durant.

I know he's old, but I'd rather have 2 years of great play than 5 years of an overpaid player that doesn't fit our style and doesn't help the team enough to live up to his contract. Players such as Chandler Parsons, Harrison Barnes, Hassan Whiteside, etc.

riverman likes this.
  8. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder if there's a real chance Durant might look for a new team. If the Thunder lose in the first or second round when fully healthy how can they expect to win a title soon? This will be almost a decade he's tried to win with that franchise.

It's starting to seem similar to LaMarcus last 25 games here where you can see dissapointment and negative vibes spreading on that team.

Us being a legit feel good story playoff group could make our team appealing as when the Rockets made the playoffs with Harden then signed Dwight. Hate comparing us to that terrible franchise. But superstars want to go to a playoff team they can elevate to contender. I don't see him having any interest in a Warriors team that won it all without him. Washington doesn't have as many young pieces. Orlando isn't close to the playoffs. Houston has way too much negativity.

Durant isn't a big city attention whore as Melo, Dwight, Kobe are. Even Westbrook seems like an LA or NY guy where Durant is going for basketball, teamwork and authenticity. He loved his time in the NW his first year, didn't want the team to leave, and has put on events in Seattle.

I think we'd have a better chance of signing Durant if we don't face his team in the playoffs. You wouldn't want to join up with guys you just battled against.

Would love to see a Stotts offense with Durant in it. It would unleash him in a way Scott Brooks and Billy Donovan have never done.

Yeah still very unlikely something like that happens but their struggles and our unexpected winning had entered it into the realm of remote possibility whereas before it was basically zero chance.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

If we actually have a chance at KD, Neil will go HARD after either Monroe or Whiteside.

Dame-CJ-KD-Aminu-Whiteside

Ages next year:

26-25-28-26-27

Holy shit.

/delusion

PtldPlatypus and Eastoff like this.
  11. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Sometimes I look at the box score, not having seen the game and I see Crabbe get a fair number of minutes but overall, he does not get very many rebounds, assists, steals, blocks or points.

I know box score doesn't show all but if you go by those kinds of items, Crabbe is average at best.

Gramps...

riverman likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I also thought about a 2 year ZBo deal..he's a free agent and a year younger than Pau...Pau would be a perfect Stotts type player though

13. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

our offense with KD .....**shudders**

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  14. BonesJones

Homer plan:
    Sign KD ($27M off cap)
    Trade Aminu, future 2nd for a future 1st
    Trade Davis for a future 1st
    Sign and trade Meyers for a future 1st
    Trade for the draft rights to Taurean Prince
    Trade Connaughton, future 2nd for Georges Niang
    Sign Horford ($19M) and Gasol ($10M)
    Resign Crabbe
    Sign CJ Watson with MLE or BAE
    Sign Andre Miller for vets minimum

Lillard (36) / Watson (12) / Miller
    McCollum (36) / Crabbe (20) / Montero
    Durant (36) / Prince (5) /
    Gasol (18) / Vonleh (15) / Niang
    Horford (32) / Plumlee (20)/ Alexander

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

KD would be a wet dream.

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of a factor of who wins the championships plays into where the top FA's go. For example if GS wins again, IMO there is no way Durant would go there after they won two in a row. It would be a no win situation for him. If they did not 3peat with him, he would be blamed, and if they did win a third, then he would not get the same recognition. And if GS lost this year, maybe he would consider going there.

And if GS did win again this year, which teams might the top FA's look at joining that could dethrone the two time champs, and the style of ball they play. Maybe KD would look towards Portland......

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Draco and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. BonesJones

Why do people still want Monroe and Whiteside? They don't make teams better!!

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Let's just be patient and poach Towns once he starts making noise about not wanting to be in MIN.

handiman likes this.
  19. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

While he is making his move to PDX, he can convince Wiggins to come as well?

:)

20. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Rookie contract and restricted free agent contracts last 9 total years. So yeah we'll have to be patient because he can't walk until 2024.

I guess we can hope Minny trades him earlier in 2022?