Politics Supreme Court strikes down Texas restrictions on abortions

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/654a...reme-court-strikes-down-texas-abortion-clinic

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court struck down Texas' widely replicated regulation of abortion clinics Monday in the court's biggest abortion case in nearly a quarter century.

The justices voted 5-3 in favor of Texas clinics that had argued the regulations were only a veiled attempt to make it harder for women to get abortions in the nation's second-most populous state.

Justice Stephen Breyer's majority opinion for the court held that the regulations are medically unnecessary and unconstitutionally limit a woman's right to an abortion.

Texas had argued that its 2013 law and subsequent regulations were needed to protect women's health. The rules required doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals and forced clinics to meet hospital-like standards for outpatient surgery.

2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Time for Texit!

barfo

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Would have been 5-4 if Scalia were still alive.

I don't think this ruling was ever in doubt. Err on the side of Liberty should be the rule, and that's how they ruled.

4. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I would have been surprised to see Scalia vote with the minority on this. This was obviously a contrived impediment to abortions.

This whole thing is a travesty. An amendment should be put forward the next time the Democrats have the house, to make it a right for a woman to choose with in an appropriate amount of time.
    I would like to end this, and never hear of it again from the Republicans.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Damn! That is bottom dwelling crass! Or is that just atheist morality?

7. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

The argument by the law supporter (solicitor general?) kind of fell apart during oral argument. He said the law was necessary for women's health, despite the fact every medical group opposes it. When pointed out that women now have to travel further, wait longer, and get less attention, he replied they could just go to New Mexico - where they have no such laws! So if the laws are needed for women's health, why is he saying drive a few hundred miles to a place where there aren't any such laws?

The term is TRAP, targeted restrictions on abortion providers. Laws thought up and written solely to make it impossible or nearly for women to access abortion even while it remains technically legal. Women in Texas have been turning to self-abortion or crossing the border into Mexico, hardly a women's health measure.

The law, MarAzul, already allowed for a woman to choose within an appropriate period of time. Roe v. Wade essentially said woman's choice first trimester, medical only restrictions second, and in the third states could put forward restrictions with exceptions for woman's life and health.

e_blazer likes this.
  8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    The law as represented by Roe v. Wade is constantly debated because the Roe v. Wade decision is a convoluted mess. I wish a straight forward amendment would be offered and passed putting and end to this never ending bickering about abortion. Enough all ready, I hate to see this being a litmus test for candidates forever.

9. Bandwagonfansince77

Bandwagonfansince77 Active Member

:blessed: Yahweh :angel:Gabriel
    :clap::clap::clap::clap: Groupies singing praises to him for eternity (a very very long time).

:flying: Me

:boat:MarAzul. :blazerwookie:Jesus on the Water.

:fish:Jonah

:evilfire: Denny

If she was an atheist, her joke would have gone something like this.

Who trynna take me to Planned Parenthood to get me on the pill so I can enjoy this summer with no period and no unwanted pregnancy? I'll pay for the :auto: with :mooning:, :gasoline: or :eatveggies:. Since nobody rides for free! :wink:

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    :wacko:

Bandwagonfansince77 likes this.