Swani-gawd

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I don't see why Al-Farouq isn't still the starter.

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

With Crabbe gone, Turner will see most his minutes at the 2 and Aminu will move back to the 3

3. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

Caleb will be the loyal player that has a 10-12 year career in Portland and retires here. Pump the breaks on starting tho. I can see 12-14 minutes a game.

HailBlazers likes this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Based on what?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Based on what?
    The scouting report has always been the same for Davis.
    Centers game, in a PF's body.

6. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

A la Z-Bo.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Any rookie that hasn't even had a training camp with the team isn't going to look the same after training camp if they have a work ethic....Swanigan does...he'll practice against serious competition playing Nurk, Big Ed, Chief, Noah and Mo in practice...that's where he'll figure it out.

8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Please don't ever compare Caleb Swanigan to Ike Diogu, not even as a worst case.

No, Ike did not put up anything close to AMAZING per minute numbers in Portland. He absolutely, completely sucked. His regular season minutes were limited, but it carried over what I saw in preseason. Ike couldn't make a shot to save his life and was a no defense, turnover prone, black hole. He was such a fucking ball hog, he became one of my least favorite Blazers ever and I was overjoyed when we traded him - and that says a lot about a guy who barely played.

Yeah, you could say the same thing about Eddy Curry, or pretty much everyone else who has ever played in the NBA. Swanigan's first assist in a Blazers uniform will give him one more than Ike Diogu. Sure, the sample size was small, but in those limited minutes, Ike managed to rack up 6 TOVs to go with his zero assists. And, it wasn't just in POR. In his last three season in the NBA, split among 4 teams, Ike managed a total of 5 AST, to go with 35 TOVs and 224 FGA. That's 44.8 FGA/AST and 7 TOVs/AST.

Yeah, compared to Ike Diogu, Caleb Swanigan is the next Magic Johnson. Based on what I saw in summer league (yeah, I know, it doesn't matter), if Caleb can break into the rotation at some point this season, I confidently predict he will have at least one game with more assists than Ike had in his last three NBA seasons combined.

BNM

9. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

yet has played in the power forward position for most of his career including Portland. many noticed a drop off in production and quickness after a summer of trying to put on more mass to check centers in the blazers scheme and allow aminu more minutes at PF

10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

lol? in 15-16 Davis was the big to replace Plumlee at Center.
    Stop looking at 2k when you make your judgments of a player.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Z-Bo has a significant advantage in terms of offensive game over Davis.
    For example Z-bo can actually make a shot outside of 5 ft.

12. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Oh I was referring to Swanigan srry

13. lawai'a

too fucking old brah and have never played careful your assumptions. leonard was still our center that wanted to be a forward in 15-16 for 22 minutes a game

Strenuus likes this.
  14. lawai'a

http://www.82games.com/1516/1516POR2.HTM
    davis only played center for 420 of his 1700 minutes of court time according to 82games' 5 man lineups

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  15. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Says he's too old, then uses brah. Logic.
    Leonard played outside on offense. aka the stretch 4 position. Davis because he can't shoot outside of 5 ft played inside. aka the center position.

See the reply to the previous post. Ed Davis is a Center in a PF's body. He has always played better as a 5, not a 4.

Go back to 2k.

16. lawai'a

live in Hawaii BRAH, your assumptions getting you in trouble BRAH. check the lineups BRAH. try and respect your elders as I see I've been a member here for at least 2 weeks longer than you BRAH. LOL SWEAR I've never played ANY video game except star wars when my son, who is now 27 had a playstation in like 2004 BRAH

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Strenuus, Scalma, riverman and 3 others like this.
  17. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Boob-No-More likes this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I see some still sleeping on Swanigan. I don't know if he will start or not but I'd put money on him having a role, a significant one at that. His work on the boards alone will be invaluable. If he can continue to shoot the way he has, he will beat out Vonleh. Defensively he's never going to be a guy you'd leave on the perimeter but he has good instincts and size and will be able to guard his position just fine. He will be the Zbo to Nurks Gasol. Offensively Stotts has been looking for a stretch big since he's been here. Now he might have one. He's going to play. I haven't even gotten into intangibles. Swanigans IQ will get him on the court early. I actually think Collins will push him more than Vonleh. I see Vonleh phased out unless he miraculously discovers his shot and his balls.

19. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Those lineups you've linked list Davis at PF alongside Leonard at C. If you've watched the Blazers you should know this is a mistake as it really was the opposit.

20. lawai'a

I view it through a different lense where leonard was the stretch 5 and the opposition hid their own 5 on davis often times on the offensive end. a poor pairing in my own mind as myers was a semi-solid post defender but needing a help defender at the 4 as rim protector.(Davis)myers and a true stretch 4 would have been a better match in my opinion. checking the pick and role there wasn't much question which of the two had the footspeed to switch and myers couldn't check the "4" outside the paint

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017