Swanigan is the Best Big in CBB (Ringer - 1/17)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Freak, Jun 23, 2017.

1. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

He remindsme me of ZBO, David West, and Craig Smith all rolled into one. No matter what he does with his career he will play with heart and ferocity. Can't ask for too much for a 26th pick. Hopefully he and Zach Collins can help man the middle with Nurk for years to come.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  2. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

A close friend of mine asked me to help him run a minicamp for a high school girls team a couple years ago.
    Had a girl who could shoot, but had form so very similar to Caleb's.
    IDK why I'm sharing this but yeah. I agree with you his form isn't perfect, though not broken like others I've seen coming out of college.

3. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I can't tell you how many times that has been said on here over the years; and for some reason every year the team was mediocre.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Our best summer league players seem to get injured ...happened to Nolan Smith and Allan Crabbe..CJ had foot troubles.I think that's why we seem to drop off recently in summer league play.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

So the Boob doesn't get You Tube. And really doesn't comprehend very well. All of those statements are in response. Cherry pick much? Have a nice day.

6. kjironman1

No.

7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Our current coaching staff also doesn't play to win. They focus on developing individual skills by forcing guys out of their comfort zones and they also spend a lot of time evaluating the guys we don't have under contract to see if any of them might be worth a contract or at least a training camp invite. Unlike, PHO who plays their best players big minutes.

BNM

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    HailBlazers likes this.
  8. Boob-No-More

I comprehend fine. I know the definition of the word compare. I also know the definition of cherry picking. Quoting several of your comments from the current thread where you directly compared two players is not cherry picking.

BNM

dviss1 and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

huh? wow......we haven't been tanking for the lottery in the Stotts era....I think we've been pretty loyal to the development program.

kjironman1 likes this.
  10. Boob-No-More

I was referring specifically to summer league - which should have been obvious from the post I quoted.

BNM

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I still disagree....although we do look at players in summer league....I see them trying to win.....it's early....never assume what is obvious to someone skimming posts ....as I stated...our best rookies have been unable to play the last few summer leagues ....Crabbe was bummed he hurt his ankle early in the competition...CJ was in a foot brace for his first two I think..

12. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

This is what summer league is about it is about development and to gets the new players that was just drafted there feet wet in the NBA. Look at other players that you might take a look at to invite in the training camp. Remember we can take 2 other players that can play in the G-league for you but I don't know if olshey will do that due to we don't have a G-league team. Is it about winning not really but of course you got guys out there that are competitor and it is a game and yes they they want to win. That just human nature.

13. kjironman1

The way i have read summer league is evaluation but try to win so they get into the second half of the tournament. If they make it through pool play then they play more games and the stakes change a bit. So there is benefit in trying to win the first 2 games because you get more chance to evaluate. The point here is always try to win. Always every time on the court in any situation. Winning breeds winning!

Trackjack likes this.
  14. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Good answer. If they dominate defensively and on the boards, that would be sweet.

15. theprunetang

I'm looking forward to watching Swanigan grow as a player and beast. I still kind wished eer could have gotten Jordan Bell though. He might not have the most versatile offensive game, but he would be fun to watch busting his out there every night. Missed opportunity.

16. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I think Swanigan has better potential than Bell. His offensive game and rebounding is already miles better, Bell brings potential on the defensive front but he's undersized and it's going to be hard for him to guard NBA players. There's a reason why Bell was taken no. 38 and the team that drafted him there sold him for $3M or something.

Swanigan was shooting almost 45% of three-pointers on 85 attempts. He was rebounding at an elite level. While his defence is not there yet, with the improvements he's shown over the years, he could get there in that aspect of his game too.

He's an exciting acquisition.

riverman, Eastoff, BBert and 4 others like this.
  17. theprunetang

I agree. Swanigan is a better prospect. I just would have liked to see Bell as a 3rd pick and in a Blazers jersey.

BonesJones and BBert like this.
  18. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

You can go all KingSpeed and trade for him on your favorite NBA basketball game next fall. And voila, your wish is granted!

theprunetang and SIeepwalker like this.
  19. Boob-No-More

We got the two guys we targeted who play the same position. Our front court suddenly go crowded. Sure, we might be able to move Meyers and Ed, but there are only so many minutes to go around - not enough to develop three young guys who all play the same position.

BTW, I like Bell, too. I like his defense and his motor, but given the two guys we drafted, it wouldn't have made sense to add a 3rd rookie at the same position.

BNM

Eastoff, Dougnsalem and theprunetang like this.
  20. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I think by the end of season Collins will be getting 20+ minutes a game and Swanigan has a shot at being 12-15 minutes a game or even more. Just my hopes.

With Collins I am hoping he has similar trajectory to Myles Turner or even Porzingis i.e. becomes a very important player almost immediately even though people do not expect it. Will be happy if Swanigan has similar impact to Willy Hernangomez, Richaun Holmes in terms of minutes played (obviously completely different players).

Eastoff, BonesJones and Scalma like this.