Sweet 16 Picks/Discussion

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Voodoo Child, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GatorsowntheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">Florida in the championship! Probably the only team to not make the Final 4 that has ever done that. [​IMG] Anyway you have Uconn over Nova, did you mean UF over Uconn?</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That really caps off Florida's season right there, not only do they rise to a top five ranking after being un-ranked in the pre-season polls and the first team to make it to the championship game without going into the final four. Would it be possible for North Carolina to make it to the championship game as well?

Sorry gocelts but I had to take advantage of it. At least it's not worse then my friend having Duke and Gonzaga in the championship game and he had a bracket in front of him.

2. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

lol...this is why Redick won't belong in NBA, LSU is an atheletic-NBA like team, Redick is like playing like he's playing a different sport.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Duke loses, JJ Redick was horrible. Gotta love when they lose :-)

4. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Down Goes The Dukies Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Yesss! Love that LSU frontcourt. Every play in the final few minutes involved Tyrus Thomas or Glen Davis.

6. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Chutney, high five! Our LSU picks are alive still!

7. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

#1 Duke v. #4 LSU
    I think this is a nightmare match up for Duke. LSU has an awful lot of length and can keep forcing the ball inside, which will get Shelden Williams in foul trouble. The match up between Big Baby and FAS will be great. LSU also has the athletic kind of player that can shadow Redick tightly all game.

#1 Memphis v. #13 Bradley
    It's pretty clear now that Bradley is for real. Following the MVC, it did look like they were the best team in the league by the time the season closed, and that's probably why they got a bid over Creighton and Missouri State. But Memphis has been proving doubters wrong by playing the strongest of any of the one seeds. I think their quickness finally gets the better of an efficient Bradley team. It didn't for Kansas, but Kansas made a lot of errors.

#2 Texas v. #6 West Virginia
    This is a tough call because both teams have looked so strong so far this tournament. They played earlier this season, and Texas won in a close one after WVU kind of choked down the stretch. I'm going to take WVU on this one just because I still don't totally trust Texas after a few of their offnights and maybe I never will. However, if they have a good rebounding night they could exploit West Virginia's weakness in that area. I just don't think they're disciplined enough to keep track of the Mountaineers' offense.

#2 UCLA v. #3 Gonzaga
    This is an easy pick so it will probably be wrong, but Gonzaga's poor defense, which constantly is keeping teams in games, is going to destroy them here. Congratulations to them on making the Sweet 16 for the first time since back when they originally burst onto the scene and the year following. Guys besides Batista and Morrison stepped up last game, but against UCLA the Zags will end up relying on the same duo as always and that just isn't enough.

#1 Villanova v. #4 Boston College
    I'll take Villanova here for a little bit of Big East revenge. BC won big against Montana, but only after basically trailing the whole first half. They also should have lost to Pacific. Sometimes teams rebound from performances like that, but but in BC's case I think it just shows that they're not really that good. Villanova has won ugly for a couple games, but I think guards win tournament games. This is really a good frontcourt versus backcourt match up.

#7 Wichita St. v. #11 George Mason
    Wichita State has the revenge factor after being beaten at home earlier this year. Now they travel to DC to return the favor. Both teams have a lot more pressure on them this round after becoming national stories, but especially Mason. However, I'll take Mason for another win just based on their great defense and their balanced offense.

#3 Florida v. #7 Georgetown #7
    Florida has been great so far this tournament. Georgetown has been playing on a very high level as well, but I think Florida matches up much better with the Hoyas than a team like Ohio State did. Florida has size, but they also have speed. I also think they have more room for error than Georgetown, who has to keep improving every game like they have been to stay alive.

#1 Connecticut v. #5 Washington
    This is a hard one for me, actually, because UConn just doesn't have any drive or heart at all outside of Marcus Williams, or so it has seemed so far. Washington therefore has the benefit in those categories mentioned as well as other intangibles that were on their side last round. UConn's vaunted frontcourt is a force on defense but on offense they're not as developed. In the end though, I'm going to wuss out and take the favorite here. It's still not clear just how good Washington is.

8. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

I suppose the Duke-LSU game is already over when I posted that, but in fact that's a game I even had in my original bracket, the one that's probably sitting down around last place in the JBB pool. Florida over UConn and losing to Memphis who beats LSU would be my final picks I suppose.

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">Chutney, high five! Our LSU picks are alive still!</div>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Tyrus Thomas was amazing. The kid is an athletic freak.

11. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

I also took LSU. [​IMG] Man it's great to be right and it's great for the SEC to flex it's muscle.

12. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I sure love watching Duke lose....you have to love that 3 for 18 from Redick.

13. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Texas just beat West Virginia at the buzzer 74-71. Texas had a 3 point lead with about 10 seconds left and Pittsnogle went down the floor and nailed a three with 5 seconds left. Texas drove down the floor and got it to Paulino where he threw up a contested three-pointer and busted at the buzzer to give Texas the win.

Texas will take on LSU Saturday to see goes to the Final Four!

14. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

That was like the craziest ending game that I've ever seen. UCLA pulls off a miraculous comeback against Zaga to win by 2! My bracket is still intact! I really felt bad for Morrison after this heartbreaking game.

15. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

What an absolutely AMAZING night of college basketball (except for the Memphis/Bradley game)

Duke falls to the young, upstart Bayou Bengals, and JJ Redick proves once again that as amazing as he is, he's simply not the big game player he should be.

Friggin Texas wins again on an amazing last second bucket, I really do hate them.

And UCLA comes ALL THE WAY BACK from down, what, like 20 something? They score the final 11 points to win it from Zaga, I honestly have to say I feel terrible for Morrison; when you see a player show emotion like that on the court, it usually doesn't get to you sitting on the couch at home, but that dude absolutely busts his ass all day every day, and to see it end like that knowing how much he cared, that just sucks. [​IMG] Zaga's defense let them down again, and the offense couldn't pick them up this time.

What an incredible night, this has to be one of the best days of Sweet 16 play in a long time, with three great, great endings. Wow!!!

16. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Farmar! I cannot believe UCLA just pulled it off amazing finish to both games. Wow!

17. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

W...o...w

18. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

Definately very exciting. Go ucla! I'm glad we got some representatives from the west coast. I don't really like Morrison, but i have to give it to him, he's a great player, and he plays so damn hard. Sucks that that's probably his last collegiate game. But who knows?

Bring on the elite 8 please, oh wait, theres still more sweetness.

19. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

What's not to like about Morrison? He should be an inspiration to anyone who plays basketball. He's a gamer and has overcome his battle with diabetes to play at high level every single game. In every game he has to test his blood level to make sure he won't have a seizure on the court and if necessary he has take insulin shots.

20. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

Well obviously, and he is an inspiration because of everything you've just mentioned. Sometimes his intensity just gets on my nerves, really no explanation. Probably that damn mustache too, haha. But honestly, he is an amazing basketball player, and on top of that he has diabetes type 1? It's simply ridiculous. I felt bad at the end of the game, because he plays so hard, only to lose in the last 2 minutes. That isn't fair, but i'm happy for UCLA at the same time.