Exclusive |Swept| So it begins - 2017 offseason

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    That's pretty fair. It's not like they're lottery picks. Of course there will be players available at those picks that will be better than Livingston, but there's very little likelihood they would be the players we'd pick.

2. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Haven't you been listening to Denny Crane & wearing your tin foil hat?
    We have lots of flexibility....

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Options as is moveable assets and contracts of varying $ amts to move. Lack of flexibility as in we're capped out.

4. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Package Meyers with the Cleveland pick. Will someone bite?

5. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Well they have Hood too. Ingles is a much more useful player than Crabbe and is RFA btw.

Utah has to renew Hayward and Hill so they cannot take back such a bad contract. They ll go luxury tax.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'd be interested in Anthony if Anthony were willing to commit to power forward, Harrison Barnes style.

A lineup of Lillard/McCollum/Harkless/Anthony/Nurkic looks good. On offense, anyway. Getting good two-way players is probably an impossibility right now.

7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

It would net us cap space and get rid of our bad contracts.

With $40M, wed be able to sign a like James Johnson, Thabo Sefelosha, and still pay Jrue Holiday $20M+ to be the best 6th man in the NBA. All of them are very good defensively, and are very effective on offense.

Granted, it could be 3 different players, but it'd allow us to add good 2-way players, as right now Nurkic is our only good 2-way player on the roster.

If we got rid of all 6, draft Giles, and trade for O'Quinn, wed have a set frontcourt rotation of
    Giles / Vonleh / O'Quinn
    Nurkic / O'Quinn

With $35M left to shore up the positions previously filled by AC, ET, and Moe, we could already have two replacements in. whoever we draft at 15 (Ferguson?), and Napier. We could try to find a max level SF, split it up for 2 solid SFs, or sign someone to a 1-Year Max (Like J.Holiday), and maintain $30M+ in cap space for next season before we resign Nurkic.

8. BonesJones

From under the radar guys who could move this summer, my dream lineup is:

Lillard / Napier
    McCollum / Sefelosha
    Crowder / Gay
    J. Johnson / A.Johnson
    Nurkic / O'Quinn

The 6 of: O'Quinn($4M), Crowder($6M), the Johnsons($12M,ea?), Gay($12M?), Sefelosha ($5M?) would make a total of $51M.

Crabbe, Turner, Harkless, and Leonard make a combined $54M.

9. BonesJones

Crowder is a very interesting target if Boston gets an All-Star SF (Like Hayward, Butler, or PG13). Its like Crowder would get traded, and he's a good two-way player who's only making $6M. I'd give up are 2018 and 2020 1sts.

Would make the whole shedding salary plan even more important benefits a lineup of Lillard, McCollum, Crowder, J. Johnson, and Nurkic would be great.

10. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    A ton of cap space is fiscal flexibility, in the terms some GMs use. It allows you to sign FAs outright or take back salary in trade without giving up salary in return (for the most part).

With CJ's big contract kicking in, it's unlikely we could make much outright cap space that would be of much use.

Having guys signed up to the LT, though, lets us trade for similar salary amounts without butting up against the salary cap.

All things being equal, and you get what you pay for performance/salary, you should be able to build a better roster with a $122M budget instead of a $102M one. That's kind of a no-brainer.

If you aren't up to the LT like we are now, $102M would be the budget next season.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Completely incorrect. If the Blazers were only at the salary cap right now--or even below--CJ's extension would push them well over, and they'd also have the full 8.4M MLE available.

If, for example, the Blazers had not signed Turner and had not matched Crabbe, the Blazers' active contracts going into next season would be around the $102M cap, but the first round picks and the MLE would put the "budget" close to the luxury tax line without already being in tax hell.

Orion Bailey and Minstrel like this.
  12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Why would we want Melo, who I think someone here showed is less efficient than Dame or CJ, taking LOTS of shots away from Dame and CJ, and who doesn't make teammates better, and who is also bad on defense, and who also has a cap busting tax penalty inducing contract? I don't get it.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  13. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    The only way this is even possible is if New York is taking back some of Portland's salaries, to make this essentially salary neutral. The Blazers don't have cap space, so they can't absorb more significantly more salary than they send out.

He's not very efficient as a first option small forward, but I've read analyses that suggest that (pre-Porzingas) New York's offensive efficiency skyrocketed when he played power forward. I could imagine his efficiency jumping playing alongside Lillard and McCollum, as a power forward. Someone who can shoot the ball playing power forward would really open up the team's spacing over guys like Aminu or Ed Davis.

Now, if you're sold on Vonleh as the team's power forward going forward, then there's not a lot of point considering Anthony. But if you have doubts about Vonleh as a starter and if Anthony is on the outs with New York and if Anthony were interested in playing in Portland (he has a no-trade clause) and if he were willing to play power forward predominantly (in past years, he hasn't been), then it starts to make some sense as a way to try to push the team into a new gear offensively for a team with (perhaps) limited flexibility to make real changes.

But it'll almost certainly weaken their defense so...

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    ...you fuckin crazy.

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    He's historically been a good player for Team USA.

(Not that I'm advocating it.)

BBert likes this.
  16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  17. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

If Noah could play like 15-18 min off the bench, then it wouldn't be so bad. We need a backup center so... maybe?

18. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I'd do that trade, from Portland's standpoint. And only Leonard shoots threes among that group, so Phil Jax might do it too!

19. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

20. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

Mild LeoTARD after all these years has demonstrated that he has shall we say... "remedial abilities..." I think he should begin & probably end w/ this triangle instead...[​IMG]

Dougnsalem likes this.