T-Mac to Indiana?

Discussion in 'Indiana Pacers' started by PacerB53, Jun 16, 2004.

1. PacerB53

PacerB53 JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/155214-4169-036.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"We could make it work, absolutely," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday. "I have spoken to somebody in their organization, and I sensed there was interest there. What they're telling me is, there's a good chance he's going to be traded. So, yeah, a player like that out there, we're definitely going to be interested."</div>

I would love too see this happen. It does raise some questions though. Does Reggie come off the bench? Or does Tracy play forward?

2. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

I would love to see Artest and Harrington O-Town that would be great Playoffs here we come

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Artest or JO goes for sure. We have to get one of them. Artest, Harrington, pick would probably work for me.

4. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^For Mcgrady?? I think the Pacers would be giving up waaaaay too much for Mcgrady. Artest is valued almost as much as Mcgrady is.

IF (and that is a big IF) Mcgrady comes to Indiana I would pen them in for the ECF Finals right up there with Ben Wallace and the Pistons. Artest would have to be traded for him for sure. With Mcgrady in the mix it would be a potentially scary lineup:

PG- Tinsley (or Duhon if he is drafted)
    SG- Mcgrady
    SF- Harrington
    PF- O'neal
    C- Jeff Foster

Bench- Reggie Miller, Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere (if he is not selected in the expansion draft)

T-Mac has the potential to be as great a defender as Artest if he puts his heart into it and he already has an offense 10x more potent than Artest'. My question is: Who wouldn't want Tracy Mcgrady on their team?

5. Pacer_dude

Pacer_dude JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind T-Mac here...

Few things you forgot to mention: T-Mac and JO are friends... T-Mac could make being in Orlando unbearable and allow himself to be traded for a bunch of our great bench (F. Jones, Harrington, and/or Jonathan Bender)... and now you're looking at an even SCARIER line up:

PG: Tinsley
    SG: T-Mac
    SF: Artest
    PF: JO
    C: Foster

PacerB53, in order to get T-Mac, Reggie would need to retire... which I'm positive he will... A guard playing this long is unheard of... A few big men play close or into their 40's but not guards...

But anyway, back on subject, Reggie's gobblin' up WAY TOO MUCH money to get T-Mac's hefty contract... and besides, the pacers, as is, will most likely be over the new set cap limit next year.

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Magic have offered the Pacers Mcgrady but want the following players back

Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley and Jonathan Bender

link

7. Pacer_dude

Well, I can see why they'd need Tinsley (Lue sux as a PG), but I don't understand why'd they'd want THREE SF's

8. jbbCourtVision

You gotta be joking me....that is the most lopsided trade I have ever seen. I don't know if the Pacers are that desperate for him at this point. They would be trading away one defensive player of the year, two quality young guys and a draft pick for one Mcgrady. I don't think they should pull the trigger.

9. throwback

throwback JBB JustBBall Member

man, orlando makes great in this trade. they get young solid talent that dont have egos like tmac and will play team ball. i dont see the need for indy to get tmac. they have a nice team already and just need to pick up a player or two in FA to possibly get them to win the eastern conference again. and of course there is the harrington trade rumors so they can get a nice FA pickup and get some good player for harrington in reture. i don't see the need to get tmac. i can see if they were a garbage team that needed a star to help them be good. i also think it would take away from the growth of JO. it is his team and tmac will try and take more shots than he should b/c he hasnt/doesnt play team ball. it could end up like kobe taking away shaq's touches. pacers are fine now, just add a few pieces and they should be set

10. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

You guys are not getting Tmac without giving up Artest or JO. JO is already not getting dealt, so Artest WILL be in the deal. Tinsley, Artest, Harrington/Bender for Tmac, Juwan would be the deal, I believe. (need Juwan as a filler)

11. jbbCourtVision

If Juwana Howard has to be included, this deal is going nowhere. I don't see the Pacers picking up another power foward (undersized at that) much less trading away both Tinsley, Artest and Bender/Harrington. JO is untouchable so that only leaves the option of either Artest and Tinsley or Artest and Harrington/Bender.

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't really think the Pacers need McGrady on their team. The chemistry is great with no true superstar, and everybody is working cohesively. If you bring in McGrady, the team might not mesh, just like what happened to the Lakers.

13. Duece~2

Duece~2 JBB JustBBall Member

We give all that away for one lousy player! forget it, the trade isn't going to happen trust me D-Walsh isn't so stupid!

14. J-O'Neal-7

J-O'Neal-7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">^For Mcgrady?? I think the Pacers would be giving up waaaaay too much for Mcgrady. Artest is valued almost as much as Mcgrady is.

IF (and that is a big IF) Mcgrady comes to Indiana I would pen them in for the ECF Finals right up there with Ben Wallace and the Pistons. Artest would have to be traded for him for sure. With Mcgrady in the mix it would be a potentially scary lineup:

PG- Tinsley (or Duhon if he is drafted)
    SG- Mcgrady
    SF- Harrington
    PF- O'neal
    C- Jeff Foster

Bench- Reggie Miller, Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere (if he is not selected in the expansion draft)

T-Mac has the potential to be as great a defender as Artest if he puts his heart into it and he already has an offense 10x more potent than Artest'. My question is: Who wouldn't want Tracy Mcgrady on their team?</div>
    ME..

T-Mac is selfish..A LOSER..Is not clutch...Not a goo leader..Doesnt think defense is important..I just don't see what everyone else sees..I see the true T-Mac..Yea hes a great scorer and has talent..But he is not the type of player i like.....Seriously..I would rather build a team around FRED JONES..Than take t-mac..I really use to like him.."Give him a year hes young"..Well that turned into 4 years and hes a HORRRIBLE nba player..Maybe he should go try out for and1..Then he could score all the points he wants..Wthout getting angy and kicking the ball when hes asked not too...T-Mac you have NO heart..Prove me wrong and maybe ill agree on the trade!

15. Pacer_dude

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-O'Neal-7:</div><div class="quote_post">ME..

T-Mac is selfish..A LOSER..Is not clutch...Not a goo leader..Doesnt think defense is important..I just don't see what everyone else sees..I see the true T-Mac..Yea hes a great scorer and has talent..But he is not the type of player i like.....Seriously..I would rather build a team around FRED JONES..Than take t-mac..I really use to like him.."Give him a year hes young"..Well that turned into 4 years and hes a HORRRIBLE nba player..Maybe he should go try out for and1..Then he could score all the points he wants..Wthout getting angy and kicking the ball when hes asked not too...T-Mac you have NO heart..Prove me wrong and maybe ill agree on the trade!</div>

J-O'Nael-7, you have some good points and some I'd disagree with...

I do believe he's selfish (right now), he's a scorer, he doesn't care for defense, and he has talent... but, I believe we could use him. When you think about it... our biggest problem is our SG position... Freddie (which I like and I hope he keeps getting better) is still a work-in-progress. Freddie is Indiana's #2 man-on-man defender behind Artest, but his outside offense (which Indiana needs) is not where we want it...

Now, if T-Mac was to come to Indy, T-Mac's attitude would change b/c he's actually friends with JO and he will finally play on a GOOD team... so there wouldn't be any reason to complain. But most importantly, he would give us that outside offense that Indy desperately needs (we'd become the most complete team in the NBA).

But, I do think the trade would be lop-sided if we did trade for T-Mac... it would be MUCH better to wait for next offseason b/c then he can opt-out and Reggie will retire... so, Indy could just offer him a deal and he'd, most likely, come to us, instead of Indy getting rid of our best bench PLUS an all-star

16. ludacris06

ludacris06 JBB JustBBall Member

I dont want to see T-Mac in a Pacers uniform. 2 stars and a group of above average players just doesnt cut it anymore. If the players can put egos and everything else behind them, the Pacers could be a championship team with whoever they get. No need to trade now, espcially for Tracy.

17. The NILLZ

The NILLZ JBB JustBBall Member

I would hate to see my pacers make that lop-sided trade. I don't care if the pacers need an outside shooting threat, they can shop elsewhere. We all know that defense wins championships, look at what detroit just accomplished. Bring in T-Mac and shipping out all those players especially Artest would totally change the make-up of that team. Their defense would be nowhere near what it was this year by adding T-Mac and juwan howard. Not a good trade at all in my opinion.

Artest has provin that not only is he one of the best defenders in the league, but that his offense has gotten significantly better every year. His attitude this year was incredible and you know he's gonna play hard every night.

Bender is still so young, but he played with flashes of brilliance this year. in 12 minutes per game this year he averaged around 8 points which is really good. He's a 7 footer that can play 4 positions, can rebound, shoot, block shots, and post up smaller players. Heck give him another year or 2 and he could possibly be a better version of T-mac.

We know that Harrington is going to be shipped out, so I hope they select a strong FA shooting guard with him, and draft other needs.

Of course I'm sure we all know all this....I just hope Donny Walsh does too.

18. dukeboy3021

dukeboy3021 JBB JustBBall Member

T-mac

I don't think T-mac is selfish. Last year he averaged more assists per game than star players like Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and Mike Bibby(just to name a few), and thats with players like Andrew Declerq and Steven Hunter who don't no how to make lay-ups and put backs. I can understand what people are saying about him not playing defense, but if you were in his position, losing 19 straight games, year before getting your best friend on the team traded away in Mike Miller, you'd probably give up on your team too. I don't think he's a ball hog, but he might lack playing D.

19. DirtySouth

DirtySouth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dukeboy3021:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think T-mac is selfish. Last year he averaged more assists per game than star players like Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and Mike Bibby(just to name a few), and thats with players like Andrew Declerq and Steven Hunter who don't no how to make lay-ups and put backs. I can understand what people are saying about him not playing defense, but if you were in his position, losing 19 straight games, year before getting your best friend on the team traded away in Mike Miller, you'd probably give up on your team too. I don't think he's a ball hog, but he might lack playing D.</div>

But on a new team that he knows has a chance of winning he will play d.

20. jbbCourtVision

T-Mac has the potential to be a great defender in this league. Under Carlisles system he would definitley step up his D because the coach demands it. With the right amount of motivation he could (and I stress the "could" part) be a better defender than Artest.

The Ball hog label is also false as well. He could pass the ball if he actually had someone to pass to in Orlando. Just because he is the leading scorer on his team don't let that fool you. He is ten times more unselfish than Iverson is and he regularly looks to create for his teammates. A lot of what is said about

Tracy is created by the media but anyone who see's him play knows better than to criticize his game. He is not a top 5 player for nothing.

As long as the Pacers are not giving up too much for him, this would be an amazing trade. Reggie's contract goes up next year and that gives them a chance to re-sign him as well.