OT Taiwan

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 25, 2021.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm watching this intro now...Tsai Ing Wen is no public speaker, that's for sure. Pelosi looks exhausted. August in Southeast Asia is brutally hot and humid. Translater is pretty good...seems a little nervous.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

GOP leaders Blunt and McConnell just praised Pelosi for standing up for Taiwan democracy. Never thought I'd hear those words but it's about time we had some teamwork in DC for a change.

Hoopguru and Phatguysrule like this.
  4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Not sure it's teamwork so much as laying groundwork for calling Biden soft on China.

barfo

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

At Joe's age it's going to probably be impossible to be "hard on" China....or hard on anything for that matter. I'll cheer any pro Taiwan activity from both parties at this point. Happy to see this today.

Hoopguru and Phatguysrule like this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

(Bloomberg) -- One of Nancy Pelosi’s key meetings on her whirlwind tour of Taiwan reportedly is TSMC, the island’s most valuable company and world’s biggest contract chipmaker.

[​IMG]

7. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

So Pelosi flying half way around the world, in a show of solidarity with a nation that China is at odds with, and has threatened the US to not visit or else bullshit, is the same as the Donald walking across the street and holding a Bible upside down for no reason whatsoever. Got it.

riverman likes this.
  8. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Lighten up, Francis.

Oh, and thanks for your insights. I actually was curious, and wanted to know how the DPP fits into the One China stance.......as the military drills begin.

9. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    As I had mentioned earlier, her hometown rag seems to think so.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/nancy-pelosi-selfish-taiwan-trip-17343582.php

.....not to mention other mixed messages.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/20/biden-pelosi-trip-taiwan-china-military-00047031

WHITE HOUSE

Biden on Pelosi trip to Taiwan: ‘The military thinks it's not a good idea’

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Doesnt Taiwan sell chips to China as well?
    Thus another reason to not attack Taiwan?

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Taiwan is a couple generations ahead of China and the rest of the world in Chip technology.....we are closing in on a deal to have them manufacture them in the States....Taiwan sells everybody chips but hasn't let China have the newest versions yet....Taiwan actually is one of the largest investors in Chinese tech sector but they no longer have a reason to trust their business holdings there...China will not respect intellectual property rights...they prove that over and over again. Not only computer chips but also their biotech industry is one of the best on the planet.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The military drills have gone on for many many decades...that is nothing new in Taiwan's reality. They are like S Korea with both armies facing each other across the Taiwan strait and maintaining a cold war stand still. I'll lighten up when you get your Trump bible bullshit off the Taiwan thread......what Pelosi did is good for Taiwan, democracy and American interests. You didn't need to bring partisan comparisons with Trump's photo op and our diplomatic team visiting our ally in the Pacific just as an opportunity to hate on democrats.....I applauded when Pompeo wanted to go there, I applauded when Newt Gingrich went there. Good thing you didn't hear what my wife had to say about your post.....when you post genuine interest in a subject I happen to know a bit about, drop the MAGA crap Tucker .

Phatguysrule likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The news here is that a Speaker of the house doesn't need permission from a newpaper or the president to travel abroad and conduct the business of foreign relations. Joe Biden just assured China we weren't promoting their independence under his administration which is to defuse the tensions we have in the Pacific with Chinese naval expansion. Joe is playing both sides against the middle when it comes to China. His call to Xi and Pelosi's delegation to Taiwan in fact has not started WWIII. As I predicted...China again was sabre rattling which they do every election cycle in Taiwan anyway. Biden's morning address to the country about this emphasized that China does not get to tell us where to go or what to do in the world....if Pelosi had not gone..it would have been a huge loss of face to America and been a sign of weakness and fear of China's threats. We called their bluff just like Taiwan calls their bluff every time they vote for a new president...if you really want to know what's going on in Taiwan don't look to the American media for your answers facing midterm elections in the states..look to Taiwan's media ..the game here is "make Biden look bad at any cost to gain control of Congress and the Senate again.

14. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Thanks for the info.

15. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

To add to this China has special foreign economic zones where they allow chip makers to operate. Dalian is the one I know about and even Intel has a factory there. The idea was to produce old technology at cheaper labor costs. From what I know IP was a big deal and requires a lot of clearance even within the company when someone is operating in China. China is doing everything they can to steal and replicate the technology, but as Intel vs TSMC shows, that tech is hard to perfect even with billions worth of resources and a full engineering staff dedicated to it. I feel like if China invaded Taiwan, they would starve the world of chips rather than taking over themselves. The brain drain from an invasion would leave the Taiwan portion of that company basically useless.

riverman likes this.
  16. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

That, and Taiwan would kick China's ass. Unless China just glassed the country with nukes. But that would just be dumb.

Hoopguru likes this.
  17. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
  18. Phatguysrule

LMAO!
    The global economy is screwed. But it doesn't have anything to do with Palosi.

We'll be mostly alright here in the US, but there will be a lot of suffering worldwide over the next few years. Thanks in large part to Russia. But China was going to fail this decade regardless.

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    What makes you say that China was going to fail this decade?

Phatguysrule likes this.
  20. Phatguysrule

They are getting too old. They don't have enough working age people to support their retirement age people. They have the biggest population bomb in the history of the world.

It sounds like Xi has no clue what's going on. His subordinates are afraid to give him bad news because he literally shoots the messenger.

Edit*
    Further, the rest of the world is dealing with population bombs of their own and will have to cut back on exports. And China can't support their population without importing 80% of their food and fuel.

The Russian warmaking is going to absolutely screw China. It'll be even worse for them than it would have otherwise been.

Hoopguru and e_blazer like this.