Takeaways From Portland’s 2015 Las Vegas Summer League

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I expect 30 wins as well. We have proven NBA contributors to pair with Lillard so this won't be an epically bad team. But there will be a learning curve and mistakes and unfamiliarity. The west is such a blood bath I don't see us winning games from GS, SAS, OKC, HOU, LAC, MEM. Outside of the terrible DEN, LAL, MIN the other west teams have good groups of talent. I guess I'd rank us 12th in the conference. If we have an injury or some unlucky breaks I could see us barely getting 20 wins.

On the positive side if a couple of our players become legit NBA starters and some more solid roll players 40 wins might be possible. It's less likely than not but still a very real possibility. To do that we'll need to beat up on the East and play well at home when opponents are jet lagged.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    You forgot when he thought crawchuck was Roy ISO ready as well

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I must admit, this is the first year Ive really followed summer league and its obvious it is a step down in play caliber.
    With that said, I would think the guys have the ability to mature and that alone might make this next season provide more opportunities for that growth to show. Is summer league usually packed full of fools gold young hopefulls, and all the talk about the potential is crazy talk, or do we actually have a few potentials compared to most other summer league rosters? I know that sounds a bit naive, but I know hardly anything about any other teams rosters, other than the ones we played.

4. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

the talk of a bigs performance in summer league being a truer guage of potential (Noah Vonleh) over guard play(Jerrad Bayless) should probably be tempered by Anthony Randolph's near all worldly rookie summer league after being drafted by the warriors. His career arc has more mirrored bayless'. course he couldn't shoot like noah though.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

If a player looks very bad in summer league it can be a real red flag. But playing well doesn't indicate as much.

Think of it more as college games. They mean something but there's hundreds of great college players every year that never amount to anything at the next level. A bad college player isn't going to be good in the NBA.

Nikolokolus and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I expect something like 33 wins, which is no man's land. I'm hoping for a playoff push or a bottom 5 record

7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Often, people will speak of transferrable skills. rebounding and shooting are good examples of these. Vonleh showed both of these and that bodes well.

8. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Just want to get this bet memorialized. Mags has got over 30 wins. I have under 30 wins. If they finish with 30 wins exactly it's a push.

9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Weak. Put a hook on it; either 29.5 or 30.5. Don't allow for possibility of a push.

HailBlazers likes this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Yeah, Plus, didn't he say it was for 28 wins and now you have bumped up to 30 full on homer style? (Join the club. We know your one of us, just in hiding) :)

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    It's my bet. Don't care if you think it's weak or not.