Tampa Bay Rays' Ben Zobrist working to get comfortable at first base, just in case

Discussion in 'American League East' started by truebluefan, Feb 20, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"First base isn't versatile Ben Zobrist's first choice for a position. But he reported to camp Saturday saying he is willing to make it his first priority this spring to get more comfortable in case he's used there.

"I definitely need that experience," Zobrist said. "At the end of the year when I played a little bit more first base, I felt a little bit uncomfortable because I didn't have that."

Zobrist, 29, will be plenty busy. The Rays plan to return him to more of a super-utility role, playing all over the field as opposed to primarily second base and rightfield as he did last season. And he hopes to recapture his 2009 team MVP batting form after dropping from .297 with 27 homers, 91 RBIs and a .948 OPS to .238/10/75/.699.

Manager Joe Maddon said he didn't know yet how much he'd use Zobrist at first, and that even though as a switch-hitter he seems the likely choice against left-handed pitchers, starter Dan Johnson also can hit lefties well."

read more: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/base...to-get-comfortable-at-first-base-just/1152736