Tank for Wembanyama

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by MickZagger, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Best prospect in sports history

AldoTrapani, BoBoBREWSKI and twobullz like this.
  2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Nope. I will never root to lose.

Fairly-Hard, 42N8Bounce and PDXFonz like this.
  3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

so spot on with the sarcasm. Nothing worse then a talented player who has a knowledgeable mentor... like being a coach's son. Is that still an insult?

STOMP

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    only if that coach is a woman. Then it has no meaning.

5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The Clippers trade was the point of stupidity for this franchise. The team has lots of possible directions to take for a rebuild: could've either traded those guys and picks for vets to contend with Dame, or tore everything down for youth and rebuild.

Instead we sent out talent, and in return got "flexibility" that predictably turned into a bunch of shit in GP2, the hard cap, Didi, and little else.

The off-season doubled down on more poor decisions. Sharpe might've been the only interesting hope. But he looks now to be even more of an extreme longshot than at the draft. He needed to be the type of MVP home run pick the team had to hit to salvage all the other terrible decisions.

This franchise now is in a position with not enough veteran talent to ever contend with Dame, overpaid mediocre starters in Nurk/Ant, and much less young talent than rebuilding franchises.

There is no one or two or three year solution for this franchise to get on an elite track.

I guess tanking for Wemba sounds to some like the best of a number of bad options.

The problem is even if the Blazers win the Wemba lottery, and then even if he becomes an all-star, the franchise is nowhere near being contenders.

oldmangrouch and MickZagger like this.
  6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Disagree. Portland with VW added to the current mix would have me extremely optimistic for the near future. Extreme longshot to land him, but the team that does is likely in the conversation for a while

STOMP

7. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Well, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. Second best time is now.

I hate the idea of trading Dame, but when I look at what Utah got for their clearance sale, it seems to me a way better route than what we've got right now. Dame can be traded Jan 8, and he's making almost exactly the same as Westbrook. Those 2026 and 2027 picks could be absolute gold once LeBron is done. We wouldn't necessarily have to sit on them--but could use them as further trade assets in another deal. But there are probably much better deals out there to get us underway on our rebuild.

But yeah, it would've been a lot better if we'd gone this far down the road.

STOMP and oldmangrouch like this.
  8. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I think a nucleus of Wemba, Ant and Sharpe could become a contender in a few years' time. All three of those guys have 30ppg potential. Just a question of whether the other two can reach their potential, and if Wemba can avoid the ingury problems that similar guys (Yao, Porzingas, etc) suffered through.

9. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

This thread will be going the entire season is my bet.
    How ya feeling after last nights game?

Bingo Bango likes this.
  10. SharpesTriumph

Sure; if you add two more longshot statements;

If the Blazers win the Wemba lottery
    If Wemba becomes a healthy allstar
    If Aunt realizes his 30ppg potential
    If Sharpe turns out to be a home run pick

Then maybe the Blazers could contend.

Most NBA teams could contend when hitting 1 or 2 unlikely events. All 30 teams in the NBA could contend when hitting 4 unlikely events. How likely is all of that to happen outside of unrealistic hope from homer Blazers fans?

If Sebastian Telfair became a starting level PG, if Martell Webster stayed healthy and scored 20 ppg, if ZBO had been as mature as at Memphis, if Outlaw had the work ethic of Kobe, if Darius Miles realized his elite athletic potential; maybe that team would've been elite. Instead reality gave us the worst Blazers roster in the last 50 years with 21 wins in 2006.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  11. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about? This is classic Trail Blazer fantasy stuff. You don’t tank an entire season for a 33 percent chance of getting a great player. Portland could very easily throw away an entire season for nothing. And considering Portland’s track record, that’s exactly what would happen.

12. SharpesTriumph

Counter point some would make; the Blazers are currently throwing away an entire season in a doomed to fail attempt to win with Dame.

Not saying I agree with or want that tanking direction. But I can understand why some are very unexcited to go forward with this roster as is, and wish the direction was different.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  13. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

If anyone wants to trade Dame to the Lakers they can quit being a Blazer fan right now.

14. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

[​IMG]

15. SharpesTriumph

If the Lakers could give up 4 unprotected picks and a number of swaps I'd consider it. With how shitty this Blazers roster is I really don't care what other teams win as the Blazers have no chance at contending any time soon. Sure Dame and the Lakers might get a title, but they also might not, and that franchise will likely be decimated in the long term. Main priority should be getting whatever return of assets is best for the Blazers to contend ~5+ years in the future.

Since the Lakers have shit for assets I wouldn't consider trading Dame there though.

16. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

[​IMG]

17. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Counterpoint: is it any more of a wild-arse gamble than betting on Simons/Grant/Nurk?

IMHO, the difference between tanking or not with the current roster is whether we pick high in the lotto or low. I just don't see a successful* season as a realistic goal.

* Granted, I am a tough grader. Even if we make the play-offs another first round beatdown doesn't meet my idea of success. :dunno:

18. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    not to mention he would leave Portland asap to go to a major market right when the team would be contending. This is not a tanking roster. too many players need stat lines this season. you cant ask guys to miss shots or sit an entire season.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Winslow or Keon? I kind of like both.

riverman likes this.
  20. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but the way the team is playing right now, we don't actually need to tank. We're bad enough to get there honestly.