TANK!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

This team wasn't actually assembled to be relied upon beyond the trade deadline. If some guys blew up that would be fine. But these guys were all about fixing the roster for next season and beyond.

Being in the playoffs this season would have been a bonus.

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Posted this in the 'Patience' thread but realized is was probably more appropriate here.

'Patience' is what many Warriors fans seem to have. There is a large group of my gf's friends down in the Bay area where her main office is. Almost without exception, they are all in on the tank. They can't wait to add a high Lottory pick or the asset that might bring to a healthy Curry, Thompson and Green...or whatever asset Green might bring.

They believe their reset time will be very short but think it is the best use of this season in the long run when winning enough games here or there to put them in the 4-14 Lottery range would be worth almost nothing. They are happy to see what talent they may have with the young kids and then make a legit attempt to make a run again starting next year.

And every one of them is a 'True Fan'.

Jade Falcon and tlongII like this.
  3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Warriors fans have patience because they've recently dominated the NBA for half a decade, and have an MVP sitting out with a hand injury and a Superstar SG rehabbing his knee... I would never tell someone they aren't a true fan, so this isn't about that. I'm telling you though if the Blazers had just got done with the type of dominance that the Warriors have had our tone would be incredibly different, we aren't even relatively close to the same situation.

Their "reset" though starts at a much higher place than the Blazers does.

I think were kind of fooling ourselves if we think we can be bad for a year pick up a Luka substitute and be super next year. The reason I think that is we don't know if Nurk will always have health issues it's starting to feel that way. Zach's missing most of a year that is supposed to be development time for him. It appears that Dame is going to get ran into the ground.
    The issue is that you have to get so lucky in the draft and guys as good as Luka come some rarely, and even with as good as Luka is he wasn't the #1 pick, it's kind of pick a guy and hope.

I'll respect the opinions of all of you guys that want to just straight up suck this year, but I'm really not on there, I think too much has to go right, they need to make a lot of moves, and I'd agree they shouldn't make a bunch of short term moves at this point, need to be thinking about seasons coming up.

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

@TorturedBlazerFan ...well thought out rebuttal that I can totally respect. And I agree it takes some luck to reset, but almost ANY additional talent via a high Lottery pick or the asset that could bring is much needed on this team. Here is why I believe that to be the case.

@wizenheimer posted this: Blazers are now 1-9 against teams with winning records this year. In the close-out playoff series for the Dame-CJ teams since 2015-16, Portland is 1-16 and have lost 14 in a row; and the only win came against the Warriors 4 years ago when Curry didn't play.

This year that is largely because of injuries but there is a 4 year pattern here when it becomes crunch time against quality opponents. It seems like the Blazers need as much talent added as they can get. This year seems like the perfect opportunity to do that. It might be a long shot and require some luck but clearly, the approach they have taken over the last 4 years isn't working. A 'Long Shot' is better than what they have now which is 'No Shot' so I'm willing to lose a few meaningless games now for a chance to make a real difference in the long term.....before Dame runs out of 'prime' years.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I doubt that Dame or CJ would buy into tanking.

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I understand the idea of tanking at least short term and yeah if it meant a championship in the next few years than I'd gladly watch them go 0-82 this year.

Just so much has to go right, and losing can get really contagious. I know the idea is "next year they'll be good again", just like the Spurs did when they got Duncan and all of that. I just think there is ample opportunity for the tanking strategy to yield basically nothing.

It looks like they might be forced into tanking without trying to lose, so I think we will get your wish. I do hope it works out.

VanillaGorilla and TBpup like this.
  7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Heck, I would take it even further and say that none of the players are willing to lay down and tank. Athletes aren't cut that way. Besides, that's totally unfair to the people who have bought tickets. I want a team always putting out their best available and trying to win.

Hoopguru likes this.
  8. CupWizier

retired
    Not sure I follow you as what is being forced into tanking? .

9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Just to play Devil's advocate a bit, an organization's strategy shouldn't be implemented based on what the players want. Yes maybe their input needs to be given like if Dame is going to ask to be traded if you say were gonna rebuild, or tank, or trade for this guy, then you don't do that, unless you're really committed to that. However, management has to make those kind of decisions as to what is best for them long term. Players tend to think much more short term and about their career, more than the organization's long term health. I agree with you about wanting them to keep trying though.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Not having their starting Center, Power Forward, and Small Forward, being forced into playing guys who probably shouldn't be playing, maybe it's not "forced tanking", but I think the record could end up looking bad, but most teams with that many injuries would look bad at the end of the year.

11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I doubt they would either. But sometimes, it takes a strategized retreat to move ahead, a re-org, belt-tightening, whatever. My fear is the biggest waste of this season will be to finish somewhere in the #6 Lottery standing to #5 or lower Playoff seed. That might be fine when your team is young and building but this team is in it's Prime Dame/CJ years. They need to either be closing in on legit contender status, or going all in on what could help them get there.

Agreed, there are no guarantees in the Draft and players like Luka don't come along very often....but you never know. What I do know with this season's team is that they won't approach the contender status of where they should be in their progression....so do absolutely everything in your power to fix that as quickly as possible. A legit shot at a Top-3 pick vs a bad Lottery pick or another sweep/gentleman's sweep out of the Playoffs that does nothing to help this team next season seems like an easy decision.

We've been down the 'learning from being swept' road long enough.

12. CupWizier

retired
    That's not only not forced tanking, it's not any kind of tanking. Tanking is not trying to win. Team should put out its best lineup and continue try and win. If they win great, if they lose then that's what sometimes happens. I think people get confused as to what tanking really means.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Well, I think its semantics, tanking means different things to different but either way, they likelihood of having a bad record and getting a lottery pick is greater now with all the injuries.

14. CupWizier

retired

Here's the definition attributed to sports and how I view what tanking means.

Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    II. Tanking in the NBA. In this Note, more narrowly, the term “tanking” refers to when NBA teams purposely lose in the short term to obtain higher picks in the NBA draft that (they hope) will help them win in the long term.

Hoopguru and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Fair enough, but I did say thats not what I meant and changed my wording in the following posts.

16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I still think we have several good assets that could, through a trade after Sunday, bring in a very good 3/4 and possibly a back up pg that I feel we need.

17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You're a smart guy and everything you are saying is true but you just keep blowing past the ultimate deal breaker for your scenario that teams can't just decide to lose on purpose. It's one thing to be okay with them losing or to see the silver lining in all the losses but they just aren't going to lose these games on purpose. You know that. For all the reasons @TorturedBlazerFan mentioned the GS situation is perfect for them. What choice do their fans have other than to be patient? It's not like they are choosing to lose.

18. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

You have to play the percentages. Sure you have to be lucky to get a difference maker in the draft, but your chances are much better with a high draft pick than a lower one.

19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Cuban came out and said they were tanking. He's the owner....I have to take him at his word and that was passed that down throughout the organization. It worked well for them and they didn't have NEAR the talent coming back that Portland will. To be fair, he didn't have personalities like Dame to convince that tanking was the direction they were going.

20. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    He said they were tanking because their team was awful and Dirk was like 80 years old. This Blazers team is nothing like that team.