TANK!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Great, so we're stuck, as usual, in mediocrity hell. Awesome.

40 wins and a first-round exit and a shitty draft pick, here we come! :doh:

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I mean to suggest they are stuck in mediocrity hell is a complete dismissal of what actually happened on the court last year or what could happen once the roster is healthy again, but whatever.

Propagandist likes this.
  3. Jade Falcon

....and swept by GS. For the second time. And what of the 6 years prior to that, or are we just going to pretend like they never happened?

How about we build a team that can....gee, I dunno....beat GS. But perhaps you're happy with drafting 6'1" PGs who play no defense and PFs who are foul magnets.

4. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You've admitted to not watching many games lately so it seems pointless to get involved with a factual argument at this time but posts like this offer no solution as to actually changing the course of the franchise.

5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Jade, you mention 6 years. Has the roster been the same for 6 years? Who's to say with a healthy Nurk we wouldn't have beat them? You don't know, I don't know, no one knows. It certainly looked possible though based on how he/we were playing before he went down.

There are factors as to why each year went the way it did and most of those factors are NOT the same, so repeating the same thing as if it was duplicated year after year is not valid.

Now if you were discussing coaching techniques, you would have a valid argument. In 6 years this team has gone through 2 roster overhauls. To say nothing is being done is again... invalid.

You brought up drafting PG's instead of PF's. That has NOTHING to do with tanking, so i'm not sure where your statement is going with that.

This Tanking thread cracks me up. Its like Trump.

"Lets make America great again"

OKay..... HOW?

*Crickets*

hoopsjock likes this.
  6. Jade Falcon

No it hasn't. But it's also difficult to compete for a title when you have one superstar and a bunch of role players, with the exception of a healthy Nurk. Whose fault is that?

Unfortunately, there is also a good argument to be made that we wouldn't have beaten Denver had Nurk been playing, so it's all irrelevant.

Oh I disagree, and how many times do we all fall over ourselves on this forum with speculation about who we could pick up in FA or trade deals....all of it reasonable.....and yet they either never happen, or we get the bottom of the barrel?

Been doing that for the past 3 years at least.

NOPE, that's not what I said. I said that we shouldn't be happy drafting undersized PGs, and PFs who are foul magnets.

Please don't vent your insecurities about Trump in the main forum. That kind of nonsense is for the OT. There are numerous things to be done to MAGA, but this isn't the thread for it.

And yet, you've offered nothing other than "business as usual".

You're right, I haven't watched many games this year, so I freely admit that there may be things on the court that I'm not seeing. However, here are the FACTS of NOT tanking:

-Getting a shitty draft pick
    -Another first round exit....IF we even make it to the playoffs
    -A very real possibility of one of our few star players getting hurt
    -No change in the coaching staff or the front office........both of which suck and need changing if we are going to compete for a championship against a healthy contender without getting SWEPT.

So.....what are your solutions to overcoming this? "Wait until next year when we're healthy"?

Okay, I'm fine with that....and you don't think we should tank for the very good reason of getting a good draft pick in the mean time?

7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Here's my solution. Put out your best effort and let the chips fall where they fall. If eliminated from playoff contention (and not before) then some adjustments can be made to playing time and rotations, Advocating tanking (cheating) is a losers mentality. I have had this same philosophy forever.

8. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

You could also look at it this way, Golden State had to come back in three of those games playing balls to the walls (and using all of Curry's cheat codes) to win, this lead to them not having enough in the tank to win the title. I look at this season as a non try hard season so we can save some of Dame's tank for next season. I am not saying this is some fact or anything I just know they are all human and humans only have so much in them until it just fades away.

Look at the standings right now and 2 teams in the west with loosing records are 7th & 8th, not sure I can remember ever seeing something like that in the west in a very long time. So I think Dame/CJ wouldn't have to try hard to get us back to the playoffs anyway. The league is incredibly top heavy right now so those teams are getting most of the wins which means we might see 2 or 3 teams with losing records make it in the playoffs in both conferences. I mean 44/45 wins might get you home court in the west. I think trying to out tank the tankers this year is fruitless (just like that episode in South Park about summer little league, they screwed themselves by not training hard enough to suck and get away with it).

[​IMG]

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Sigh....

This is the tanking thread. Not the draft pick thread or the coaching thread. I addressed your post based on the thread we are in. You brought invalid, irrelevant points to your post I quoted ...

10. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Did anyone tell Golden State that?

Jade Falcon likes this.
  11. CupWizier

retired
    Having players unable to play due to injury is not tanking. I think you are confused as to what tanking is so I will present a definition in regards to the NBA.

Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    II. Tanking in the NBA. In this Note, more narrowly, the term “tanking” refers to when NBA teams purposely lose in the short term to obtain higher picks in the NBA draft that (they hope) will help them win in the long term.

12. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Steph Curry broke his hand on October 30th and most people expect him to miss the entire season. What do you call that?

13. Jade Falcon

And you're okay with passing up a potential difference maker at #6 or #7 and drafting at #14 (or higher).....as long as we make the playoffs?

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with this, except for one thing.....in the past when we've been a 40-ish win team and made it to the playoffs, it was FUN to watch. I know they'll be better next season; I'm not concerned with that. But this season isn't even fun.....it's just fucking miserable. So many expectations, so many hopes......gone. And it's not miserable so much because of how we're playing....it's miserable more because you look at who is playing and who brought and drafted them here, and then ask yourself if this is the best Olshey can do. And then you look at the coach and his ISO 2005 game plan and non-existent Time Outs as well, and then it begins to dawn on you, and you realize that those two things (Olshey and Stotts) aren't going to change.

It's why I've become so apathetic this season.

So.....play on. I guess. Don't come crying to me when we draft some nobody who will be out of the league in 3 years.

14. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Not to mention is was his left hand!

15. CupWizier

retired
    I call it a broken hand and an injured player unable to play for a significant period of time. Are you saying he broke his hand on purpose? Did Hood tear his achilles on purpose or did Collins injure his shoulder on purpose? I'm not following your logic.

Who are most people? The only info I see reported is that Curry is expected to be out till end of February.

Golden St.
    PLAYER POSITION UPDATED INJURY INJURY STATUS
    Eric Paschall PF Tue, Dec 10 Hip Game Time Decision

Stephen Curry PG Fri, Dec 6 Hand Expected to be out until at least Feb 29

Klay Thompson SG Tue, Oct 22 Knee Expected to be out until at least Jun 1

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  16. CupWizier

retired
    I am ok with playing to the best of our ability. I am not okay with tanking (purposely trying to lose). I won;t be crying at all. Now will you stop crying or just continue to post your hyperbole?

17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Boy, I don’t buy that analogy at all. Kawhi knew his team could rest him and still make the playoffs. He also knew he was still recovering from an injury for at least part of those games that he rested. Choosing to miss some games in the regular season is a whale of a lot different than flicking in a season in the vague hope that you’ll get better through an unknown draft pick.

hoopsjock, Hoopguru and CupWizier like this.
  18. CupWizier

retired
    what makes his statement even more ironic is that Toronto went 17-5 in those 22 games which works out to a 77% winning percentage where as Toronto was 41-19 with him playing and a 68% winning percentage. It doesn't take a math wizard to figure out that they are horrible at tanking then. lol

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I understand both sides of wanting to tank and not.

but dammit. You are all wrong.
    The definition of a tank is clearly an object to hold mass in.
    Like a fish tank?.....

all these school lessons going on and no one likes fish??????

20. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'm saying a broken left hand on a right handed player would keep them out about 2 months. Yet Curry will be out the entire season. That is tanking.

TBpup likes this.