Politics Tara Reade

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Apr 27, 2020.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

And yes white people, you don't fully understand racism. Come with me to the protests (at least 80% white) and you'll meet the REAL good people who are trying to learn.

Why do we have hall of fame players and coaches of every sport giving sports commentary? Because we like to listen to the people with the most experience of that sport because they've seen it from a perspective that we never can.

Well I'm a FUCKING HOFer WHEN IT COMES TO BEING TREATED WITH RACISM...

We're not listened to and y'all have FINALLY SEE A MURDER TO EVEN TRY TO CARE...

crandc likes this.
  2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...only white people are racists.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    No. But racism has a disproportionate effect and damage when it comes from the group in the majority.

4. yankeesince59

Majority/minority is not the issue...racism of any kind is just flat out wrong and it cannot be explained away or justified, regardless of someone's race.

Lanny and CupWizier like this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Police violence triggered by the protests and rioting has been less about racism and more about loose cannon cops. The 75 year old white guy pushed down and injured by white cops in Buffalo; the white protester put in the same knee to neck hold in Seattle; the young black couple in Atlanta pulled from their car and the woman tased and the man getting his arm broken...by black cops. Obviously racism and BLM is a huge component of the problem, but it’s far from the limits of the matter.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    CupWizier and yankeesince59 like this.
  6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think the two of you didn't really understand or internalize my post. I wasn't saying that racism is only committed by white people (that's what the "No" in my post was about, after all), or that racism committed by non-white actors is okay or that the current unrest is about nothing but racism. What I said was that while racism isn't strictly committed by white people, racism that is committed by the dominant faction of society is substantially more damaging, because the dominant faction, the faction that has most of the power, is in a position to harm a minority much more, make them feel much more unsafe just living life, make them feel like outsiders, in a way that the majority will never feel in the same way. This actually seems like a fairly obvious point, not a controversial one.

Lanny likes this.
  7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Not true, I once met a guy from the Philippines who hated Blacks. My Korean sister-in-law lived in a White neighborhood in Beaverton. One time this Korean couple bought a house about a block and a half away and she said words to the effect "Well, there goes the neighborhood."
    Racists come in every color. It's just that most, not all, but most of the really bad ones are White.

8. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

She appears to be overweight, which will probably shorten her lifespan, but even so, she's probably got at least a couple of decades left, actuarially speaking.

barfo

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. yankeesince59

The post that you quoted was "tongue in cheek"...the subsequent post I made was not.

10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You're gonna make me go back and read that. Crap, I hate knowing what I'm talking about. I'm lazy and I'm proud of it. Wanna make something out of it? Too bad, I'm too lazy to do anything that doesn't involve eating a lot of twinkies.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Actually, all I was trying to point out is that there’s way more police brutality than there should be and it’s difficult to know how much of it is associated with racism vs that which has other causes. There’s absolutely no doubt that blacks are treated shamefully by the judicial system. There’s also little doubt that there are plain bullies or mentally unstable people in police uniforms who in certain circumstances lash out at people in ways they shouldn’t. We shouldn’t overlook that issue while we are dealing with racism.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  12. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Yeah, trying to label all police as bad is wrong as there are many more good ones than bad ones. Just like in the military you out a gun and authority into some people and they abuse it but no way should police be stereotyped as racist and bad.

Hoopguru likes this.
  13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    That certainly wasn’t my intent either. We need police and they do a tough job. Most are professional about their jobs, but they need to do better at weeding out the bad apples and helping officers deal with stress.