Telfair fined for having a GUN on team-plane

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PlaTsanity, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Portland is probably the worst place Martell Webster could've ended up. I hope he doesn't get involved in any trouble.

2. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Where's his improvement since last season? Obviously the Blazers aren't convinced he's the future, they went out and brought in 3 point guards in the off-season. He's struggling to get minutes in Portland behind the likes of Jarrett Jack, Juan Dixon and Steve Blake.

He's likely surrounded by too, many "yes" men. He was hyped since he was a teenager, but now that he's in the league, he's being exposed as just an average point guard not ready for a man's game.

Entering the draft was a great idea, boarding a plane with a loaded gun was idiotic.</div>

Good post. Agreed.

3. dtpxcore

dtpxcore JBB The Regulator

Another Jail Blazer they need to find a way to do something about this.

4. Jerry West

Jerry West JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Portland is probably the worst place Martell Webster could've ended up. I hope he doesn't get involved in any trouble.</div>

Just on that aspect of things, this tidbit from an article about Chris Paul speaks volumes for the differences between a positive, functioning franchise and a team like Portland.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Even during Wednesday night's game, a 102-86 Hornets victory, a stranger could see the difference in the NBA lives of the two rookies. Paul drives the lane and draws a hard foul -- and his four teammates are there to help him up. Jack drives the lane and draws a hard foul -- and he walks to the free throw line without a teammate saying a word. Or even patting him on the back.</div>

Source

5. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Locke, I'm by no means saying what he did was right ebcause it was one of the stupidest tihngs I've ever seen done by a player but compared to the multiple things done by his teamates give the kid a chance.

6. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Interesting, especially sense Telfair always tried hard to have that clean image. I guess he feels he needs to have protection when he is on the team plane. NBA players should always check their lugage, we've seen everything from loaded weapons, to marijuana in the players bags.

7. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">Interesting, especially sense Telfair always tried hard to have that clean image. I guess he feels he needs to have protection when he is on the team plane. NBA players should always check their lugage, we've seen everything from loaded weapons, to marijuana in the players bags.</div>

Yup. I've been following Sebastian since he was a middle schooler. For him to have a gun on the plain is very uncharacteristic of him.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">One view on the Sebastian Telfair episode: It is stretching the bounds of credulity to ask us to swallow the story that the Trail Blazer point guard inadvertently picked up his girlfriend’s bag, which happened to have a loaded Smith & Wesson inside, before it was discovered by a flight attendant before the team went through customs in Boston last week.
    What difference does it make if the handgun is registered to Telfair’s girlfriend? Any NBA player would be wise enough not to register a weapon under his name. Of course, you would think the player also would be wise enough not to carry it on a plane, in violation of the NBA’s collective-bargaining agreement.
    You also would think that if Telfair made an “innocent mistake,” as team President Steve Patterson said, he would immediately ’fess up to team officials or security personnel.
    Maybe Telfair’s girlfriend considers the urban jungles of Portland so dangerous, she needs protection.
    So what if Telfair “has apologized profusely,” as Patterson suggests in a put-the-best-spin-on-it mode.
    What, you expected him to be defiant?
    Telfair’s endorsement contract with Adidas doesn’t appear to be in jeopardy, although PR representative Travis Gonzalez said over the weekend from the All-Star Game in Houston, “We’re still waiting to find out from Sebastian and his agent what actually transpired. We’re still in the investigational phase.”
    After the incident, Patterson said this on the Blazer pre-game radio show: “Before we take any actions, we’re going to be prudent about getting the entire story … as opposed to reacting emotionally or with an itchy trigger finger, so to speak.” Whether a Freudian slip or an attempt at humor, it was a poor choice of words on an issue the NBA takes — and should take — very seriously.</div>

Telfair’s story is a pretty lame one

9. bravest

bravest BBW Member

I've got to be honest - I wanted to see Telfair's movie, but I doubt I'll go anywhere near it after this.