Telfair to Ask Maxwell for No. 31

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Midnight Green, Jul 11, 2006.

1. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sebastian Telfair received a typical introduction when it came time to select a uniform number with his new team. In high school and with the Portland Trail Blazers, Telfair wore No. 31, a nod to the address of the Coney Island housing project where he grew up (off 31st Street). But the Celtics have retired No. 31 to honor Cedric Maxwell. So Telfair settled on No. 30.

But Telfair mentioned that he wanted to talk to Maxwell, hoping to negotiate with him to take the number out of retirement. Maxwell joked that his kids would hold the ladder while he personally pulled down the number.

``If somebody was offering me some money to wear it, I would," said Maxwell. ``And I'd give some of the money to charity. I'd negotiate in a heartbeat."

Turning serious, Maxwell added, ``But this is the Celtics' decision, and I know the Celtics would not let that happen. It would cheapen the process of all the retired jerseys. I would never want to cheapen the process that has allowed me to be among the other great players."</div>

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/ce...he_ball/?page=4