Ten Cate to join Chelsea in next 24 hours

Discussion in 'Chelsea FC' started by CelticKing, Oct 10, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Ten Cate to join Chelsea in next 24 hours</p>

AMSTERDAM (AFP) - Former Ajax coach Henk ten Cate will be named to Chelsea's coaching staff in the next 24 hours, the Premiership club's website said on Wednesday.

Ten Cate will join Chelsea manager Avram Grant's coaching staff as the Blues look to rebuild following the departure of former boss Jose Mourinho.

According to the club's website, ten Cate is set to be unveiled as assistant first-team coach at Stamford Bridge.

The 52-year-old Dutchman, who previously worked under compatriot Frank Rijkaard at Barcelona, quit as Ajax boss on Monday.

Avram's assistant Steve Clarke and ten Cate will be the two men responsible for first-team affairs under Avram at the Premier League club.

A statement on Chelsea's official website read: "Chelsea have reached agreement with Ajax for the release of Henk ten Cate. We expect to finalise his contract with Chelsea in the next 24 hours as assistant first-team coach."

Meanwhile Chelsea's injured midfielder Michael Ballack has given coach Grant a major boost by confirming he has no intention of quitting the club.

The former Bayern Munich midfielder, struggling to regain full fitness following two ankle operations, wants to remain at Stamford Bridge for the rest of his career.

The Germany international struggled to make an impact under former coach Jose Mourinho and was linked with a summer switch to Real Madrid.

Ballack has two years remaining on his contract and even though Grant has replaced Mourinho and ten Cate is set to arrive imminently, the German wants to remain part of the new set-up.

Ballack, 31, told German TV station ARD: "I feel very happy here and would like to end my career at Chelsea. Although I want to end my career at Chelsea, if I am still fit when my contract runs out, why should I not play on for another two years?"

Ballack's desire to stay at Stamford Bridge is matched by Ivorian striker Didier Drogba who felt Mourinho's departure more than most. Drogba was very close to the Portuguese coach who left the club by mutual consent last month.

Even though he has been linked with a move to Milan, Drogba was quick to dispel the rumours. Drogba said: "Chelsea is my destiny today. I do not want the adventure to change. Milan? What a good club. But I have spoken to nobody."</p>