Terrelle Pryor (Jeannette, PA) - OHIO STATE

Discussion in 'Class of 2008' started by JCB, Dec 22, 2007.

1. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Terrelle Pryor should pick Michigan over Ohio State | Detroit Free Press

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>With less than a month before high school football players can sign letters of intent with colleges, the most valuable gem of the 2008 recruiting class is still available to a few teams, including the Wolverines.

Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 ranked quarterback could be the piece that propels Michigan from a good program to an elite, national-title winning one.

Pryor showed incredible athletic ability on Saturday in the Army All-American game, a high-school All-Star game. He ran for 76 yards and a score and threw for 79 and a score.

The 6-foot-6 star from Jeannette, Pa. proved why many compare him to another tall, dual-threat quarterback, Vince Young (6-5).

Young and Pryor have similar throwing styles and running back-like moves – which dominate today’s college game. Pryor’s mechanics are not that of a Tom Brady but, as noted in a USA Today article earlier this year, he can throw a football 75 yards from his feet or 50 yards from his knees.

Young and Pryor both have size. Young was 233 pounds at Texas. Pryor is 235.

And Young and Pryor both proved to have the playmaking skills to make a good team great -- like a Maurice Clarett, Charles Woodson or Reggie Bush.

Pryor rushed for 1,676 yards and 13 touchdowns and was 92 of 163 passing for 1,732 yards and 15 touchdowns during his junior season. He followed that up by leading the Jeannette Jayhawks to Class AA state championship this season.

So where is Pryor going to go? His favorites seem to be Michigan and Ohio State.

During the Army All-American game, Pryor pointed to a Buckeyes sticker on the back of his helmet, but also reportedly arrived to the game wearing a Wolverine sweatshirt.

What a cruel game he is playing with so many people’s hearts.
    Florida, Oregon and Penn State are the other schools he is considering.

Michigan was added to Pryor’s possible destination list when Rich Rodriguez came on board.

Pryor would fall in line with the dual-threat quarterback Rodriguez has favored in his offensive system in the past.

While offensive coordinator at Tulane (1997-98), Rodriguez was responsible for Shaun King’s record-breaking career. King finished the ’98 season with an NCAA-record passing efficiency of 183.3 and became the first player in NCAA history to pass for 300 yards and run for 100 yards in a game.

After following Tommy Bowden to Clemson, Rich Rodriguez’s stint as offensive coordinator (1999-2000) helped turn Woody Dantzler into the first quarterback in NCAA history to throw for at least 2000 yards and rush for at least 1000 yards in the same season.

And over the last three seasons at West Virginia, Rodriguez’s spread option helped turn Pat White into a Heisman Trophy contender this season.</div>

2. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Battle for high school QB Pryor includes Ohio State, Michigan | Dayton Daily News

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>COLUMBUS — Being the hottest football prospect in the nation can be a draining experience, but Terrelle Pryor's high school coach believes his star wouldn't be so worn out if he could break free from his expanding entourage.

The athletic quarterback may be able to juke defenders, but he's having trouble shaking loose from the hordes who want to get close to him.

"We have some hangers-on that he thinks are friends of his, and I don't know if they are," Jeannette (Pa.) High School coach Ray Reitz said. "Just because he's such a great athlete, I don't know if these guys are in it for his best interests or for what they can get down the road from him.

"That's what he has to understand. Terrelle is basically a pretty good kid, but he's a kid. I just wish he had a better chance to be a kid. But that's the price of fame. He has a gift from God."

That ever-widening circle of influence may be why Pryor has seemed so unpredictable through the recruiting process.

He's always expressed interest in Ohio State and Florida. At one time, though, he reportedly ruled out Penn State, but now he's scheduled to make an official visit there Jan. 18.

Oregon has suddenly popped up among his final choices, leading some to speculate that Pryor just recently discovered the school's ties to Nike founder Phil Knight, a prominent booster.

West Virginia was believed to be Ohio State's main challenger until coach Rich Rodriquez left for Michigan. Pryor dropped the Mountaineers and will make a trip to Ann Arbor on Feb. 1 — five days before national signing day.

And Duke — which hasn't landed a blue-chip recruit in years — might still coax a visit out of Pryor after hiring renowned quarterback guru David Cutcliffe as head coach last month.

"One of the things with Terrelle is he's become friends with these recruiters, and I think it's hard for him to say no," Reitz said.</div>

3. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

Terrelle Pryor should pick Ohio State over Michigan | Detroit Free Press

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If Terrelle Pryor, perhaps the No. 1 football recruit in the country, wants to start as a freshman, he should go to Michigan. There’s no doubt about that.

He’s a quarterback in the mold of Vince Young, tall and mobile. Given the depleted state of the Wolverines’ depth chart, the Jeannette, Pa., product would be the first-stringer the moment he signed on the dotted line.

But if his ultimate designs are on the NFL ��" and whose aren’t at that age? ��" he should go to Ohio State. There, he won’t be thrown to the wolves before he’s ready.
    There, he’ll have to earn his position. And there, he’ll better learn how to be an NFL signal caller.

Rich Rodriguez’s zone-read offense is tailor-made for Pryor. But what will that do for him at the next level? West Virginia quarterback Pat White ��" Rodriguez’s former pupil -- is a terrific college player, but his best bet for an NFL future is as a cornerback or kick returner. Granted, Pryor has better physical tools than White. But NFL teams will be skeptical of a QB coming out of a zone-read offense, no matter how talented he is.

Ohio State certainly would add some zone-read facets to its offense to best utilize Pryor, but the Buckeyes likely would fold those into a more well-rounded scheme ��" incorporating the traditional play-action and downfield passing attacks -- similar to what Texas did when it had Young. It’s critical that NFL evaluators see some drop-back passing on film. How often does White drop back at West Virginia?
    Exactly.

The other advantage for a quarterback avoiding a straight-up zone-read offense is longevity. Every time Pryor runs the ball, he risks blowing out his knee. He would, of course, also run at OSU, but not as much as at U-M. You can get hurt in the pocket, too, but it’s much safer in there than out on the edge, trying to juke safeties and linebackers diving at your legs every play.

The final point in the Buckeyes’ favor is the trusted theory that quarterbacks, like offensive linemen, are best served by easing into the lineup. How did Jimmy Clausen look at Notre Dame this year? And Ryan Mallett at U-M? They were the consensus top two freshman QBs in the country, and Pryor could face a similar situation if he starts from day one at U-M next season. If he were to attend OSU, he’d probably back up incumbent Todd Boeckman next fall, playing a series here and there and causing havoc in the red zone. Then, after Boeckman graduates, the offense is all his in 2009. Sound like Tim Tebow’s career to anyone?

We won’t even get into the fact that Pryor is tight with most of OSU’s verbal commitments ��" they stuck a Buckeye sticker on his helmet at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl last weekend, and he didn’t take it off.</div>

4. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I can only imagine the emails and voice mails that James Jahnke is getting after writing that piece of tripe.

RichRod gets more out of talent than Tressel does. Old Sweater Vest isn't a guy that can take his and beat yours and then take yours and beat his*.

* for those that don't know the origin of that quote that I bastardized, it was said by Bum Phillips about Bear Bryant

5. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    LSU is in Pryor's final list of school's now.

6. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Rodriguez's QB quandary might rest on a Pryor commitment | CBSsportsline

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Rich Rodriguez has a lot more to worry about than what did or didn't go into that paper shredder at West Virginia.

Try a quarterback depth chart that is a bit riven itself.

Chad Henne is gone. Ryan Mallett has transferred. Next up on the depth chart is Georgia Tech transfer Steven Threet, whose next college pass will be his first.

What happened? We're talking about Michigan, the gold standard when it comes to quarterbacks. Coming into the 2007 season, every starter since 1989 at least made it into an NFL camp.

That doesn't help the current situation with a new coach and no quarterbacks -- or none to speak of with the height, weight and speed requirements to run Rodriguez's spread option.

The race to replace has become not only a Michigan issue but also a national recruiting issue. Beyond changing the offense, Rodriguez is trying to install a new culture at staid, conservative Michigan. His first choice for his spread option obviously is Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 recruit out of western Pennsylvania. Thanks to Rodriguez, Michigan is now among Pryor's finalists along with LSU, Oregon, Ohio State and Penn State.</div>

7. The GM

The GM New Member

I dont think Pryor will head to LSU because of Ryan Perriloux, who is slated to start the next two years. Rich Rodriguez will start him sometime during his freshman year, and allow him to run more often than at Ohio State. Tressel hasnt ever produced a first round QB and only one decent one, Troy Smith even though he won the heisman went in the 4th, Justin Zwick didnt even make past the panthers camp, Craig Krenzel was a 7th round pick. Michigan has a good history with QBs, Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese, so I think Pryor will have the most success at Michigan.

8. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    No. 1 prospect schedules visit to LSU

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>BATON ROUGE - The state of Pennsylvania isn't ordinarily considered a prime LSU football recruiting area. Well, it is now.

Such are the spoils of a national championship. The Tigers won their second Bowl Championship Series title in five years on Jan. 7 with a 38-24 victory over Ohio State, which is a border state of Pennsylvania. And the nation's consensus No. 1 high school prospect was watching.

He is 6-foot-6, 235-pound double-threat quarterback Terrelle Pryor of Jeannette, located 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. Pryor will be visiting the LSU campus next weekend.
    "Since he announced he would visit, everybody has been going nuts," said area recruiting expert Michael Scarborough of Rivals.com. "You usually don't hear of kids from Pennsylvania taking an interest in LSU."

Pryor, the MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 5, threw for 1,790 yards and rushed for 1,901 yards in leading Jeannette to a 16-0 season and a Class 2A state championship in 2007. He is visiting Michigan this weekend and is also seriously considering Ohio State, Florida and Oregon in addition to LSU. But there could be more schools involved. Pryor had to get a second cellular phone and has former Detroit Lions quarterback Charlie Batch, who is from nearby Homestead, Pa., to guide him through recruiting.

"LSU is new," Pryor said in published reports this week. "Charlie spoke to them, and then I spoke to Gary Crowton (LSU offensive coordinator). I liked a lot of what he was saying. I would say they're as high up as the others because I am just learning about them. But I like what they're talking about in changing the offense for me."</div>

9. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    From rivals, an article on Pryor's experience at the UM-Iowa basketball game. Final four of tOSU, Michigan, LSU, Oregon.

10. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Per rivals, Pryor has set up an official visit to Oregon. Will be visiting the same day as Aaron Boyd. Two future teammates?

11. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The GM @ Jan 17 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I dont think Pryor will head to LSU because of Ryan Perriloux, who is slated to start the next two years. Rich Rodriguez will start him sometime during his freshman year, and allow him to run more often than at Ohio State. Tressel hasnt ever produced a first round QB and only one decent one, Troy Smith even though he won the heisman went in the 4th, Justin Zwick didnt even make past the panthers camp, Craig Krenzel was a 7th round pick. Michigan has a good history with QBs, Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese, so I think Pryor will have the most success at Michigan.</div>

At Ohio State, they will design their offense around him and allow him to do the things he is good at. Probably start out more based but eventually progress similar to the Troy Smith offense, and not just shotgun. Which could prepare him more. Yeah, they haven't produced an NFL QB, but when Michigan has, it wasn't this style of offense. It's not like Michigan is running the pro style offense that got those past QBs into the NFL anyway. He's also been concerned with Rich Rod's offense and how they don't throw enough.

12. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The recruiting has gotten crazier in the past couple weeks. One reporter dude from Detroit called the school and flipped out on our principal, the secretary, everyone, just because I wouldn't talk to him. My dad told me people have called his house and offered him thousands of dollars if he'd tell them where I was going to college. It's crazy.

The hard part of this is the picking of the school.

Reporters call me and guys from rivals.com call. All of them are just trying to get the scoop. They say, 'You already know where you're going.' I just say, 'All right,' because I don't know.

I really don't know where I'm going. The night of Feb. 5, I'm just going to have to sit down, shut off my cell phone, relax and just think it all over.</div>

Pryor's latest entry in his recruiting diary

13. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    UF Recruiting | Tampabay.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>HOT PROSPECTS

It's a long shot, but the Gators remain in the hunt for the nation's No. 1 receiver Julio Jones, who has also listed Florida State, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas Tech as his final schools of interest. He will announce his decision live on ESPNU on signing day. Another long shot is quarterback Terrelle Pryor. LB Brandon Harris (Miami Booker T. Washington), FB Jamie Harper (Jacksonville Trinity Christian) and WR T.J. Lawrence (Lakeland Kathleen) are also still considering the Gators.</div>

14. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    The Detroit News

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said he isn't so sure quarterback Terrelle Pryor of Jeannette, Pa., has chosen Ohio State over Michigan, as the Plain Dealer reported in Cleveland.

Lemming said Pryor "has been real good about keeping things quiet."

Lemming said there always are rumors about what player is going where and that, with just a week before signing day, as it draws near the rumors tend to get a bit nastier.

"We're in the vicious time," he said. "Fans from Ohio State, Michigan, all over, are just making things up. You can't trust anything on the Internet. The smart ones wrap it like it's a legitimate story. There are so many bad apples. I'm careful who I talk to.

"This is the time of year when the nuts come out. This is their Halloween. They want to be a part of the scene."</div>

15. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Pryor is 100% committing tomorrow at noon on ESPNU.

16. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Okay, time to make my prediction:

The top recruit in the class of 2008, Terrelle Pryor will be going to The Ohio State University.

17. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

is he as good as he's hyped up to be? Is he better than Mitch Mustain?

18. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Yes, he's the real deal. He's an absolute freak of an athlete.

19. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Feb 5 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Okay, time to make my prediction:

The top recruit in the class of 2008, Terrelle Pryor will be going to The Ohio State University.</div>

Yep, me too. I've been saying this all along.

20. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dissonance19 @ Feb 5 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Feb 5 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Okay, time to make my prediction:

The top recruit in the class of 2008, Terrelle Pryor will be going to The Ohio State University.</div>

Yep, me too. I've been saying this all along.
    </div>

Yep. I was thinking Michigan because of Rich Rod, and was still thinking Michigan up until this weekend when Justin Feagin committed/is going to commit tomorrow. He wanted to play QB, and the only school offering that option was Michigan.