Terry Stotts has been extended

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, May 21, 2019.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

You mean the matrix defense? Try to dodge bullets all game by not closing out on 3’s...

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

After a brutally bad 2nd half by the Blazers. Still nothing close to a peep of negativity from the TNT crew about the coaching, scheme, X's and O's

Bruno_Sabino likes this.
  3. Terry Stotts

Terry Stotts Verified

You either misread my post or missed the point. Coaches don't speak poorly of other coaches and therefore the praise we heap on each other is meaningless. We speak in platitudes.

Paine Tablet and BonesJones like this.
  4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Their show wasnt long enough to go in depth about the ineptitiude of stotts. They didnt have 24 weeks to get through it all.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Nobody is offended, what you think doesnt really matter to me that much.

Thats every basketball mind? Every single one? I've heard mixed things on every coach including Stotts. Id love to discuss basketball instead of "These guys said this and those guys said that and theyre more reputable so you cant say anything". Id love to do what this forum was designed for us to do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Who do you think is an average coach in this league?

7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Try to keep up. The poster asked me to provide "Examples". Believe me i can provide many many more. There were like 492 pages of examples on Google.
    When you are considered for coach of the year over and over again by sports writers and then the coaches themselves double down on that choice and then Player after player that comes here starts playing better the answer here seems pretty obvious?

Nobody missed anything.
    It's all here for the reading.
    Would you like me to grab the multitude of things written about Doc Rivers? Scott Brooks? Mark Jackson? How about McLickity Lips himself while here in Portland. Mo Cheeks you say? Would you like to include Alvin Gentry?
    I say to you go find quotes by other coaches or players that are negative about Coach Stotts. Because i can come up with a bunch on other coaches. The original question specifies "Coaches or Players" not John Canzano please. Because yes JC has been critical at times. Of course we all come to expect that. Even though he still voted for Stotts for COY i think twice?

Ball is in you guy's court. @BonesJones perception and the Team as a whole is part of basketball. The team and the game is not just ingame adjustments, Screens, Rotations and defensive sets. I have been watching this team for a long time. I've seen bad team managers both on the court and off. How many times do you think Stotts is dealing with a player that caught a bad break in life that we know nothing about? How many times does he have a 23 year old kid in his office crying because his girlfriend just screwed his best friend? How many times has he had to talk to dame about family problems and what it's like to deal with a baby crying all night? How many times has a player had to sit out a game because they were hung over or simply were not ready because the travel was tough and they were home sick? 20 -22 year olds miss their moms. Heck i miss my Mom and Dad and i'm old now. You say he is a "Players Coach". I say he is a extremely good Coach that manages this team very well.

8. BonesJones

- COTY? Dwayne Casey won COTY then got fired, and it was the right move.
    - Players are better here? Turner wasnt. Meyers wasn't. Whiteside isn't, Pat wasnt, Harkless has been just as good this year as last, juries out on Aminu and Layman, Bazemore definitely wasnt, Tolliver wasn't. Hezonja wasn't. Stauskas wasn't. Curry wasn't. Etc. This narrative is fabricated. But it's funny how much you trash players for being bad when Stotts doesn't make them better...
    - Coaches talk kindly about other coaches, especially nice guys.
    - Go find quotes talking badly about Stotts? Do you really think opposing coaches or players will throw him under the bus? That's why I dint engage in the "These people say this so it's true" stuff.
    - Bad things said about other coaches does not make every good thing said about Stotts true. Dont see how that adds up. I've heard 3 former players blast our style of play this year.
    - The team is more than in-game coaching decisions? No shit.
    - You've seen bad managers... ok?
    - A 23-year olds GF screwed his best friend...?
    - Dame has had family problems and has a baby.... That's correct?
    - Players might get homesick... I did in college but I wasn't being paid millions.
    - Players get hungover before games? I dont want those guys on my team.
    - You miss your mom and dad.. sorry to hear that.
    - You're old? Not that old!

Are we talking about coaching or babysitting?

brooklynballer likes this.
  9. BonesJones

I have more experience with that than you do.

10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    [​IMG]

11. kjironman1

Absolutely does not seem so.

CupWizier likes this.
  12. kjironman1

Dude? You literally jumped into this conversation? WTF?
    How many times do i have to say my response was to Brooklynballer asking me to provide examples? I did just that. Facts are indeed facts here.

CupWizier likes this.
  13. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I just want to say I realize that one game doesn't make or break a coach. I see a pattern to their defense not being good that has persisted for as long as Stotts has been here. If you want to say well it's the guards, then ok they'll need to move one of the guards I guess. I think it's easier to move on to a new coach though. We could find examples of good defense and bad defense all day long though (by the Blazers). I "try" to not really count this season much because like I've stated I think it's hard to judge this season with all the "things" that have gone on, it seems like this year is kind of just a lost one (in terms of a championship run - They can still get "value" from the season in other aspects). However the Blazers at best have been slightly above average defensively his stay in Portland, and IMO that doesn't win championships.

To the people really defending Stotts my main question is what has he done to deserve such a long tenure? It's almost unheard of in the NBA for a guy to get this long without rings or with a playoff record as bad as his. Mike Brown has been in Philly for a while, and there are other examples out there I guess. - I don't hate Stotts - Just in my mind we've seen other organizations say "pretty good" isn't good enough. Sometimes it backfires, sometimes it doesn't. I think it sets a tone that were gonna do everything we can to get better. Giannis lost a coach he really liked before they hired Budenholzer, Casey, Lionel Hollins, Jackson all IMO good coaches that their organizations said hey we're gonna move on and try something else out.

hoopsjock likes this.
  14. CupWizier

retired
    Not sure why you are addressing this to me as I explained what I was responding to. :smiley-hmm:

15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I don't know. My coffee is still basically untouched. Can we go with that? heh. Mainly cause you were the last one I was talking too in here I guess.

kjironman1 likes this.
  16. CupWizier

retired
    ok. I'll engage. Does winning a single championship automatically give a coach an exemption from being fired 8-9 years later?

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Im not completely sure where were going with this so lets take the adventure together!
    I guess a championship doesnt mean your job is safe forever. A lot goes into that and championships arent the only criteria for if a coach is producing.

However if the goal is to win a Championship then at what point is not having done that fireable? I understand that last year looked like they were getting closer since they got to the WCF’s.

Propagandist likes this.
  18. CupWizier

retired
    Ok, we're on the same page then. Let's take a coach that I highly respect in Rick Carlisle ( I was really hoping we would hire Carlisle when he was let go from Detroit). Let's compare their coaching records at thier current respective team.

Stotts 7 season at Portland
    Coaching record 351-283 (.554)
    Playoffs 6 of 7 (84%)
    3 of 6 made it past the first round (50%)
    1 out of 6 made it to the WCF ( 17%)
    Won division 2 out of 7 years (29%)

Carlisle 11 seasons at Dallas
    Coaching record 506-439 (.535)
    Playoffs 7 of 11 (64%)
    2 of 11 made it past the first round ( 18%)
    1 out of 11 made it to the WCF ( 9%)
    Won an NBA championship
    Won division 1 out of 11 ( 9%)

Comparing the 2, which one appears more successful over all at their respective teams? I would say Stotts. Carlisle has been up and down in his tenure at Dallas while Stotts has been more steady and reliable and both have been giving a longer tenure in their position than average. Now I have always had the philosophy that coaches are hired to be fired but giving the 2 comparisons I can see why a team would want to retain Stotts for the time being just like Carlisle has been given at Dallas and with all the injuries this year it seems reasonable that Stotts will be given the opportunity to see what he can do next year with a healthy team. After that, he may be let go and a new direction in coaching could begin. Making a change isn't always the best thing as I have seen teams in many sports change coaches constantly and never forming any identity or consistency.

19. kjironman1

Some even say Rick got his Championship because of what Stotts did with the offense for Dirk.

CupWizier likes this.
  20. BonesJones

I know what he said. I wasnt saying you shouldnt have given him examples. I'm saying that those quotes arent really meaningful like you make them out to be. And then this conversation reminded why I dont engage in conversation about quotes determining head coaching prowess. Thats it.

kjironman1 likes this.