Thabeet, Rubio, or Trade?

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by La Bomba, May 20, 2009.

1. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

Since it is basically given that the Clippers will draft Griffin, where should the Grizzlies go with their pick? Trade it or draft Rubio or Thabeet?

I would say Thabeet if the Grizzlies can't find a deal for Mike Conley where they get equal value, preferably for a big man or good depth. That has been killing us for the last few years. If a deal is found, draft Rubio, a pass first point guard who is committed to play defense, unlike Conley.

What should the Grizzlies do?

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

They need to draft the best player available regardless of position. Ricky Rubio is the second best player in this draft and despite having Conley it won't hurt to add Rubio to the roster and groom him in Memphis or stash him overseas.

3. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    easy, take the BPA, Rubio, and trade Conley. I'm tempted to say that Memphis should keep Conley, but that seems like a risk given that Rubio doesn't necessarily have to come over. Besides, while Mayo could play fairly well with either one of them, I don't see Conley and Rubio playing well together.

Rubio
    Mayo
    Gay
    ?
    Gasol

From what I recall, with your new coach you've become the small ball team that everyone thought you'd be under Ivaroni, correct? In which case you'd need a PF who can run.... say hello to Travis Outlaw (who really isn't a SF, IMO). As well as Paul Allen's willingness to absorb a crappy contract, fairly important given that Rudy Gay's contract needs to be extended, no? What other small ball PFs would be available for Conley? Maybe Marvin Williams?

4. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    rubio is the BPA so they will take him. plus he is friends with gasol, obviously thats a good thing for an international player to haver to help with the transition, especially with rubio being so young. remember rubio in the olympics, even with players like wade, chris paul, lebron and kobe on the floor, he was still the quickest player in the game, thats saying something, rubio had so many steals throughout the olypics, most of them as the ballhandler was bringing it up the court around halfway, he is very good at defense, and obviously very passionate about basketball, i hope the grizz pick rubio, i wouldnt want to see him go to the queens or the wizards.

5. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

These rumours about Rubio not wanting to come to Memphis are starting to scare me.

6. esperanzafleet6969

esperanzafleet6969 Member

the only reason he wouldn't want to is if the team that drafts him wont pay his buyout... therefor him having to pay it himself... but i think any team that gets him will

7. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Whoever takes him is only allowed to contribute 500K toward the buyout, he has to pay the rest, ~6.5M, himself

8. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

Chad Ford is saying that Hiesley is leaning towards Thabeet. I have already said this before. Passing on Rubio and drafting Thabeet will be the biggest mistake the franchise has ever made.

9. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I'm gonna be honest. I would LOL.

Memphis needs to take Rubio and trade Conley. As simple as that.

10. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

It's not only that Rubio is an amazing talent, it's that Thabeet fucking blows. He will be a bust. A slow big man with a limited offense, no thanks.

11. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Thabeet definitely seems like a Dalembert type of center, nobody you should be taking over a talent like Rubio. What's even more bizarre is that drafting Thabeet isn't even drafting at a position of need. How are Gasol and Thabeet supposed to play together? Every team that has a dominate center also has a perimeter power forward: Yao and Scola, Howard and Lewis, Oden (hopefully) and Aldridge, Bynum (maybe) and Pau Gasol... Maybe they will take Thabeet and trade Marc Gasol?

Despite the lack of talent, this will be a fascinating draft, though I'm not sure I could take being a Memphis fan at the moment.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The rumor du jour is Clippers are looking to trade the #1 pick because Mike Dunleavy Jr. loves Ricky Rubio. The Clippers also want to trade Chris Kaman, Baron Davis, or Zach Randolph. This could be a great opportunity for Memphis to trade up draft Blake Griffin and also get another frontcourt player.

13. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    clippers should trade baron to grizz for number 2 pick, then have griffen and rubio!

14. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Given his knee problems, you'd think Mike Jr. would be focusing on his own play rather than where his sweetie is drafted.

barfo