Thanks for the memories Jason

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by wtwalker77, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Agree with you and Jason. Everyone loved J-Rich no doubt but like CR2 has been harping on constantly for years, JR has huge holes in his game. Agree it'll take a while to sink in. Makes me want to frame my signed JR jersey though in his memory. I hope he becomes an all-star in Charlotte and gets the respect he deserves out there and most importantly plays on a winning team and competes in the POs.

Risky move but like philsmith said; better cap, younger, and bigger. Potential for another great big to play alongside Biedrins. One of Monta or Richardson probably had to go, no way we could add two more long term deals (ellis and Biedrins) without dropping one.</div>

JR has holes in his game, but he's still an effective 20ppg scorer and a nasty inside finisher. Those are hard to find. In addition, it's just one of those things where he gave his heart and soul to the franchise and they repaid him by sending him to one of the most perennial losing teams in the East where he gets to be paired up next to "Dunleavy with a mustache and worse looking hair part 2" and their version of Murphy in Primo Brezec.

What does Bellinelli do? I bet he'll do even less than Jrich and take more threes standing around. For Marco to do as well as his comparative upside (Ray Allen/Mike Miller/Brent Barry) he's got to drive more, shoot better free throws, and pass it. We'll see if he can live up to that and make Jrich's trade more bareable. Drafting Marco was obviously confusing because there was a deal in place that we all didn't know about before hand. Mullin and company thinks this 20/10 guy were supposed to obtain was in Brandon Wright, but I look at his college stats and I don't see anything that leads me to believe he could do that. His free throw shooting is horrendous. Him and Biedrins can have a "who sucks the most" contest at the charity stripe. My goodness. And they both are severely understrengthed against the matchups they have to defend.

2. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

It's bit funny to see Mullin making deals when he personally knows somebody in that organization such as Pacers or Bobcats. I guess we should send Richmond to Cavs to fry James away...

3. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I like Wright, but I loved J-Rich. And for our draft picks, I'm a fan of the international game but I'm not too high on Belinelli stepping in right away.

And just giving away the 36th, too. I know its not a huge deal but it seems so lopsided to me. At the least, we could have packaged more salary in this trade, shipped out guys who were going to sit at the end of the bench (Sarunas, Foyle?)

Oh well.. I hope Mullin proves me wrong.

4. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

I love this trade. I don't understand the hate. I love J-Rich, he was my favorite player, and I'm devastated to see him go, but keep in mind, we just cleared a ton of cap space for Ellis and Biedrins and got bigger, but at the same time, didn't lose any speed. J-Rich, as much as I love him, had his limitations. I understand he was our heart and soul, and our hardest working Warrior, but he wasn't a very good defender, his ball handling needed work, and in our playoff run, he turned into our shooter, and didn't slash on people anymore and turned into a prototype SG.

Thanks for the memories J-Rich!

5. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, we get roughly 10 mils trade exception by making this trade? That can be a huge asset. BTW, I am quite disappointed that we traded 36th pick, only because I wanted to see how that fateful Marc Jackson trade would turn out. I guess we will never see that...

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, like everyone else I will hate to see JRich go, especially like this, after his first year leading us to the POs. Like some here, I too am mixed about it -- obviously, it does create cap space. I didn't know you could trade a 10+ mils contract for a draft pick. How does that work under the cap (I know we tossed in #36, but still)? It was a great financial move in terms of trying to re-sign Monta/Beans and heck even Barnes perhaps.

On the other side, I am thrilled about the prospect of Wright/Beans frontcourt -- we needed a a starting PF and we have a potential star here. He's only going to be adding muscle over the coming year, he doesn't seem like a Bosh type body composition. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Obviously, he's no Boozer-type bruiser, but he'd fly by Boozer in the open court, or so it seems. We'll see when we get to camp.</div>

Charlotte can take on JR because they have like 20 mils of cap room. It seemed like they were thinking about signing Rashard Lewis in free agency but Jr produces very similar numbers (JR from his last healthy season that is assuming he puts up those numbers again) and he's probably actually cheaper than Lewis would coime. Add to that that they need a SG more than a SF and Higgy is there and Jordan wants a guy to help immeditately and you get Charlottes logic (though I agree with Steven A. Smith, they got robbed).

I'd compare B. Wright's body more to Camby; very thin but extremely long, extremely fast, extremely explosive. Definitely not a Boozer type body but hes got the ideal body for a big man in our system.

7. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, like everyone else I will hate to see JRich go, especially like this, after his first year leading us to the POs. Like some here, I too am mixed about it -- obviously, it does create cap space. I didn't know you could trade a 10+ mils contract for a draft pick. How does that work under the cap (I know we tossed in #36, but still)? It was a great financial move in terms of trying to re-sign Monta/Beans and heck even Barnes perhaps.
    </div>

Charlotte never spent any money on max or near max deal free agents. They've been using guys from the draft, the cba, and the nbdl minor leagues. So this leaves room for them to absorb hefty contracts.

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Obviously JRich isn't his former dunk-champ self after the surgery, but he's a smarter player than ever, with a better than ever jumpshot. I wish him the best in the league. Charlotte just became my 2nd favorite team. Go Bobcats!

On the other side, I am thrilled about the prospect of Wright/Beans frontcourt -- we needed a a starting PF and we have a potential star here. He's only going to be adding muscle over the coming year, he doesn't seem like a Bosh type body composition. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Obviously, he's no Boozer-type bruiser, but he'd fly by Boozer in the open court, or so it seems. We'll see when we get to camp.</div>

We'll get over it. I know it. [​IMG] The warriors know that the key is Baron Davis and some other secondary playmaker whether that be Sjax or Monta Ellis... and then Biedrins + good role players. Of course, I'd rather have a swingman or a guard not turn over the ball so many freakin times (ahem Ellis and Sjax)... but hey we also needed size and Jrich can't offer playmaking or size. We gotta rebound and score inside the paint. If Wright can do it at 205 lbs... I'll make a sig in his honor because I will probably feel the artistic drive once again. I haven't made a sig in several several months. I think the one I made for myself was the last.

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What does Bellinelli do? I bet he'll do even less than Jrich and take more threes standing around. For Marco to do as well as his comparative upside (Ray Allen/Mike Miller/Brent Barry) he's got to drive more, shoot better free throws, and pass it. We'll see if he can live up to that and make Jrich's trade more bareable. Drafting Marco was obviously confusing because there was a deal in place that we all didn't know about before hand. Mullin and company thinks this 20/10 guy were supposed to obtain was in Brandon Wright, but I look at his college stats and I don't see anything that leads me to believe he could do that. His free throw shooting is horrendous. Him and Biedrins can have a "who sucks the most" contest at the charity stripe. My goodness. And they both are severely understrengthed against the matchups they have to defend.</div>

Yeah, but Belinelli is an 18 pick, you don't expect a J-Rich caliber guy at 18, you pray for a decent role player. IMO thats what they have in mind for him, not the successor to J-Rich (thats left for Monta and Jack, who do the things J-Rich never could do and drove you nuts like penetrate and defend). Losing J-Rich loses us one of our best shooters, plus Barnes, Pietrus are gone and we're taking more bigs. We need another athletic wing to give us some consistent outside shooting, Belinelli will do that just fine off the bench. IMO Monta is the guy who is the replacement for J-Rich, if you want to compare Marco Belinelli to someone compare him to Pietrus, Barnes, etc.

9. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Dude is only 19/20. He can put on weight easy. AS BJM said, he's Camby like and Camby is doing pretty well. Nowadays you cannot look at next year with a draft pick but more like 2-3 years down the road (except for Milsap, what a find by the Jazz, how do they do it?). Wright could be pretty damn good in 4-5 years when he's basically a senior just out of college.

10. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

who is going to replace the 20+ points that J-Rich provided and will Wright be able to start right away.

11. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Here is a question, does this give us any cap room to go after a FA like Gerald Wallace or somebody like that?

12. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Oh, I forgot to mention this: the analyists were saying how Charlotte was desperately looking for a veteran leader rather than another young player. Well, they just got an IDEAL presence for that young team IMO. Jrich isn't a Baron-type vocal leader, but rather he leads by example. He's always the hardest working, from what I've always read, and he continually looks to improve his weaknesses, rather than sit comfortably in his strengths. He's going to bring work ethic and heart to that sqaud, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the Cats do next year.

On a separate note, I think some of us may be underestimating Marco Bellineli. Sure, he's a lights-out shooter, but he's not a stand around shooter. He's a fast, athletic guard who has ALL the skills. Excellent fundamentals, handles, passing, body control, driving, shooting off the dribble -- it may just be me but I'm pretty darn excited about this #18 pick. He had a sub-par shooting season last year, but he's just a kid and he's got a good flair for the game. Seems Ginobli is a good comparison, though not as tough. Have you checked out some of the scouting on him? If not, do so!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Chad Ford's Analysis: Belinelli is one of the best shooters in the draft. He has good size, a lot of athleticism and deep, deep range on his jump shooter. He lit up Team USA last year. In terms of style of play, this is a great fit for the Warriors, though they seem to have a logjam at that position.

Plays for Climamio Bologna in Italy. Averaged 12.8 ppg and shot just 32 percent from three in the Euroleague this season. Averaged 16.1 ppg in Italian league play but only shot 33 percent from three there. In 2005-06, averaged 13.4 ppg while shooting 44 percent from three in the Euroleague.

Positives: A long, lanky combo guard who knows how to put the ball in the basket. Big-time scorer with an excellent 3-point shot. He's a very smart player, with excellent court vision and a handle that would allow him to play the point occasionally in the NBA. Good athlete with nice quickness.

Negatives: Needs to work on his body. He's thin and doesn't look like he's spent much time in the weight room. Defense could be an issue. Can fall in love with his jumper and forget to get to the basket. Streaky shooter thanks to an inconsistent shot release.

Summary: Belinelli turned heads last season and this summer with very mature play at the highest level of basketball outside the NBA. His production at the World Championships helped his chances of landing in the first round. However, he struggled with his shot in the Euroleague this season. His sweet-shooting stroke has gone cold and Bellinelli shot just 32 percent from three this season. Scouts still love him, however and think his shooting mechanics are correctable.</div>

13. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Duckmyster Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">who is going to replace the 20+ points that J-Rich provided and will Wright be able to start right away.</div>

Jrich only gave us 16.1ppg last season, I think Monta can pick up some of that slack...

14. Zhone

I assume Ellis will step in and that's why Mullin felt that he could part with JRich in the first place. I don't feel that Wright nor Belinelli are ready to have starting minutes yet. Both players are talented but they're simply young - both around 20 years old. Because they don't have much experience, and didn't exactly dominate, I don't expect either of them to contribute much at least halfway into the season, or more likely next season.

15. Custodianrules2

Okay... I think I've calmed down. My friend who is a UNC follower mentioned his performances. He said he's pretty close to a sure thing offensively. He's already got the footwork down pat that very few guys can learn and do. Defensively... he can probably block a few shots... but he won't be that good. Rebounding? That'll probably be a work in progress. My buddy says he's strong for his little amount of weight in the post. A comparrison to Chris Bosh might be in order if he can improve his rebounding and continue to score very well. We probably won't get at least average defense like Chris Bosh outside of shotblocking and we won't get his free throw shooting or range. He's far from perfect, but he could make a bigger impact than a undersized small forward trying to play shooting guard if he can score efficiently and draw more doubles inside.

Here's one small clip of an impressive play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVM4N8VGvSg

He caught it! Nice!

16. Zhone

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">On a separate note, I think some of us may be underestimating Marco Bellineli. Sure, he's a lights-out shooter, but he's not a stand around shooter. He's a fast, athletic guard who has ALL the skills. Excellent fundamentals, handles, passing, body control, driving, shooting off the dribble -- it may just be me but I'm pretty darn excited about this #18 pick. Have you checked out some of the scouting on him? If not, do so!</div>

My disappointment lies in the thought that we were going to build on our playoff run. In the long run, there's no question that we've secured pieces for our future, but I just don't see the pieces we have helping now. My only hope is that Andris and Monta continue to grow.

17. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Is it now possible to sign Gerald Wallace as he is clearly odd man out there? Would have been nice to make this a sign n trade for him with the bobs

18. Warriorfansnc93

So this must be the expected lineup...

Baron/Ellis/Sarunas/Belinelli
    Ellis/Jackson/Belinelli
    Jackson/Harrington
    Harrington/Wright
    Beans/Wright/POB/Foyle

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, but Belinelli is an 18 pick, you don't expect a J-Rich caliber guy at 18, you pray for a decent role player. IMO thats what they have in mind for him, not the successor to J-Rich (thats left for Monta and Jack, who do the things J-Rich never could do and drove you nuts like penetrate and defend). Losing J-Rich loses us one of our best shooters, plus Barnes, Pietrus are gone and we're taking more bigs. We need another athletic wing to give us some consistent outside shooting, Belinelli will do that just fine off the bench. IMO Monta is the guy who is the replacement for J-Rich, if you want to compare Marco Belinelli to someone compare him to Pietrus, Barnes, etc.</div>

I know I know. I'm just freaking out over unexpected change. We wanted risk, this is as risky as it gets outside of drafting Yi and giving up Jrich or Ellis for him.

20. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

holy crap warriorsfan..... i didnt read all the posts and there you go thinking and asking the same thing