Thanks for the memories Jason

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by wtwalker77, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Is it now possible to sign Gerald Wallace as he is clearly odd man out there? Would have been nice to make this a sign n trade for him with the bobs</div>

Too slow jr. See my post about 5-6 posts up...

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Is it now possible to sign Gerald Wallace as he is clearly odd man out there? Would have been nice to make this a sign n trade for him with the bobs</div>

I think we have to dump Foyle to make Biedrins and Ellis re-sign a possibility.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

I'm gonna try to do the Kwan thing. Here goes.

Let's say the salary cap is 53 mils and the luxury tax is 65 mils.

The Warriors wouldn't be able to afford much with only 3 mils remaining to use on somebody. We could do renewable MLE and that's about it. If we do sign and trade we could be back to square one unless Gerald Wallace asks for a few mil less than Jrich. Because we still have to save money for Beans and Ellis until Harrington and Foyle come off the books. Harrington and Foyle are a lot of bloat. I guess the question is, is there a plan to absorb any potential luxury tax we may have to pay until Foyle and AH come off the books? How much is Gerald Wallace worth per year? Then maybe we could fit him in because he could replace AH as a small forward. Then somewhere down the line we have to figure out something if Brandan Wright is a franchise player and we need to save enough dough to re-sign him. Dang, it's tough... It's a rich man's sport and I'm glad I'm not owning a team. What pressure.

If we just had extra space for signing top tier free agents... I think salary cap will increase this year and so will luxury tax so we may be safe if the contract sizes also don't increase in increments. I know that the cap really depends on the league revenue. They don't want the players getting greedy and asking for more money than the nba actually generates from game tickets and sports memorabilia.

3. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

All the knocks on Wright, I just remembered where he played and who with. He was at UNC, and there was this first team All-America stud there named Tyler Hansborough who was the first option in the blocks and who cleared the glass pretty well. At UNC, they still respect the older players and Tyler was a sophomore who had an awesome freshman season. There was no way that Wright was going to be "the Man" his freshman year with Tyler there. I love Tyler and he should have been the first option. Let's just look beyond the numbers for Wright.

4. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">All the knocks on Wright, I just remembered where he played and who with. He was at UNC, and there was this first team All-America stud there named Tyler Hansborough who was the first option in the blocks and who cleared the glass pretty well. At UNC, they still respect the older players and Tyler was a sophomore who had an awesome freshman season. There was no way that Wright was going to be "the Man" his freshman year with Tyler there. I love Tyler and he should have been the first option. Let's just look beyond the numbers for Wright.</div>

Good point...[​IMG]

5. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think we have to dump Foyle to make Biedrins and Ellis re-sign a possibility.</div>

He has what 2 years left? When do we need to resign Ellis and Beans? Next year or the year after? Surely we can dump Foyle as an expiring contract next year...

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">All the knocks on Wright, I just remembered where he played and who with. He was at UNC, and there was this first team All-America stud there named Tyler Hansborough who was the first option in the blocks and who cleared the glass pretty well. At UNC, they still respect the older players and Tyler was a sophomore who had an awesome freshman season. There was no way that Wright was going to be "the Man" his freshman year with Tyler there. I love Tyler and he should have been the first option. Let's just look beyond the numbers for Wright.</div>

Exactly. Guy played in the top conference in America, facing legit big man talent and he was the third scoring option behind Hansbrough and Lawson (maybe even 4th behind Terry). 15/6 is pretty damn good for a freshman too, imagine if this guy came out as a junior. He'd have averaged 28/12/3 and be the #1 pick. IMO he can contribute immediately, though I don't think hes quite ready to be a full time starter. If he were ready to be a superstar right now we wouldn't have been able to get him, be patient, give the guy a year or two, he'll be awesome. Compare his freshman stats to Al Horford, Joakim Noah, etc. and you'll see they're a lot better, they're comparable to their stats right now. Hell Wright's freshman stats are comparable to Duncan and Bosh as freshman and they didn't play with a stud like Hansbrough to compete with in the front court.

7. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He has what 2 years left? When do we need to resign Ellis and Beans? Next year or the year after? Surely we can dump Foyle as an expiring contract next year...</div>

I think we can re-sign them this offseason but they're rookie deals run through next year, so it wouldn't kick in until later.

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Excellent point. Numbers aren't everything.

9. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He has what 2 years left? When do we need to resign Ellis and Beans? Next year or the year after? Surely we can dump Foyle as an expiring contract next year...</div>

Foyle has 2 years remaining, so if we want to trade him for cap relief, we have to trade him for expiring contract now. Of course, asking somebody to take his 19 mils contract is not exactly easy to say the least.

We can resign Biedrins now and Monta next year. But the way things are going, I think Mullin will resign both next year...

10. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Well.... I was wrongabout no trades.This is Bittersweet for me. I mean, Jason took out that ad, promised us the playoffs and helped take the Warriors there. I'm deeply saddened, but this trade gives us the capability to trade again with the huge exemption that we get (probably Foyle). I honestly don't know how to feel right now. My brain tells me that team made the right move business wise, but my heart tells me differently

11. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Indeed: Thank you Jason Richardson for the memories. He went through a whole bunch of garbage with this team. He was the representative of the Golden State Warriors in several all-star weekends by participating in the dunk contest. He did very well in the frosh-soph game as well. His newspaper ad last summer was unbelievable. On a fan-player standpoint it is tough to see JRich leave like this. I know a lot of people have wanted to move him in the past in favor of players like Mickael Pietrus and whoever else. But I am happy that JRich has been a Warrior for as long as he was. It's going to be strange to not see number 23 with Richardson written above it in gold/blue/tomato(or whatever color that is, orange maybe?)

12. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Exactly. Guy played in the top conference in America, facing legit big man talent and he was the third scoring option behind Hansbrough and Lawson (maybe even 4th behind Terry). 15/6 is pretty damn good for a freshman too, imagine if this guy came out as a junior. He'd have averaged 28/12/3 and be the #1 pick. IMO he can contribute immediately, though I don't think hes quite ready to be a full time starter. If he were ready to be a superstar right now we wouldn't have been able to get him, be patient, give the guy a year or two, he'll be awesome. Compare his freshman stats to Al Horford, Joakim Noah, etc. and you'll see they're a lot better, they're comparable to their stats right now. Hell Wright's freshman stats are comparable to Duncan and Bosh as freshman and they didn't play with a stud like Hansbrough to compete with in the front court.</div>

I'm more of a Pac-10 guy myself, but that's beside the point. I think you are getting a little high on the guy. It is impossible to project somone's stats in college especially considering how UNC reloads every year I double he would have put up those numbers you suggested and as we've learned with a few players his stock very well could have gone down as much as gone up had he stayed in college. It's never a for sure thing.

Can he contribute immediately? Maybe. It depends on how much Baron, SJax, and company let him touch the ball. Al Harrington has to be moved I think. He's very raw and I'm not sure he has many people around him to learn the skills that maybe he should be learning. I think his youth and athleticism though will allow his presence to be felt in some facet of the game as the year continues. We'll see if it's an improvement, but chances are losing a proven guy like JRich they probably have taken a step back next year in order to let the rook develop. Even if they do make the playoffs they probably won't get past the second round again, it's just the curse of Nellie really, nothing against the team (30 years of coaching with no NBA Finals?).

On the JRich note, he was my favorite Warrior and I do plan on keeping the poster of him up in my room but I'll just have to watch Charlotte that much more now I suppose.

13. Run BJM

Good post sunsfan, and I agree with you. Its never a sure thing and if it was we would have no chance at him but I'm just saying why I like the guy and why I think he'll succeed.

You could be right that we may be taking a small step back next season but who knows if we make it back next season with that roster anyway? Remember last time the Warriors made a big trade, were hot down the stretch and tried to ride the "chemistry" into the next season? (I'll refresh your memories, 04-05 after the Baron trade then the ensuing fiasco in 05-06). The west is only getting better and it took an amazing run just to get into the POs last year. Teams know what to expect from us now and we don't know if that chemistry and success will continue. If it doesn't then we have a losing team that still has a giant need for a legit big and a bad contract situation.

Now we have a guy who could be a franchise changing big man. Maybe we're a bit worse for a season or two but once this guy develops we finally have that inside presence and that front line we've been waiting for for over a decade . Its risky but where were we going with J-Rich here? Where could we go if Wright pans out? And we don't give up Biedrins, Monta, or Baron to get him, plus we gain tons of cap flexibility. IMO Wright is a guy whos a number 1 pick in a lot of drafts, especially if he stays in college for a few more years. We had the rare opportunity to get that guy for J-Rich.

14. sunsfan1357

I agree with you, I actually do like the move from a future perspective like say if the next year or two don't work out and Wright shows signs that he is going to be what people expect him to be then the Warriors made out like bandits. That would give them something to actually build upon and revolve around. I do think the short term rammifications are bad considering how much Portland upgraded with their big man who will produce immediately, Amare is coming off of a first team season, Duncan, Dirk, Boozer, Yao, etc. Sure the Warriors were tailor made to beat the Mavs but I still don't think that their style of play with no real banger YET can get past any of the other teams. Nellie's style of play simply doesn't translate to extended playoff success. I love the Warriors though and I go to as many games as I can but they still have a ways to go. Pieces are definitely there but it looks like fans got to play a smaller waiting game again.

Don't want to make it sound like I'm knocking the team or anything, I'm actually proud to have seen them come along like they have. At least now they are pretty much the official team of California with the Kings obviously blowing everything in sight to go to Vegas, the Clips crumbling with Livingston's knees, and the Lakers being a front office mess. Took a while but they're finally on top of the California mountain [​IMG]

15. philsmith75

Sunsfan,

If the competition are the Suns/Spurs/Mavs, the Warriors were not going to compete with the core and JRich. At least with Wright they get bigger and quicker up front. He's not KG, but probably the next best thing after Oden. Even Horford would not have fit in with Nellie's system.

As for Nellie not winning after 30 years, well if you look back 30 years, I don't think he ever had a team that was the best in the league that would win it. The Bucks teams were fine teams but I don't think you beat the Sixers (Dr. J, Moses) or the Celtics (Cowens/White/Archibald/Chaney then Bird/Chief/McHale) with guys on their last legs like Lanier and Sikma or with Paul Mokeski/Alton Lister as your starting center. As for the Warriors (Rd. 1) it was amazing they even won a series with Vic Alexander/Tolbert/Gatling as your center. Mavs? They were dead when he got there, he didn't even have JKidd or Mashburn. He traded for Nash and picked Nowitzki.

16. philsmith75

Amazing how the opinions differ:

Charley Rosen of foxsports.com:

The rights to Brandan Wright were dealt from Charlotte to Golden State in exchange for Jason Richardson. Wright is certainly talented, but he's a rookie and therefore far from being a proven performer. The veteran Richardson, however, has already demonstrated beyond doubt that he's a terrific scorer who can create his own shots and is extremely reliable in the clutch.

"Create own shots" and "extremely reliable in clutch"? Did I watch the same player?

Chris Mannix at CNNSI.com:

"Jason Richardson can score but can't do much else." That's what I saw.

17. sunsfan1357

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    As for Nellie not winning after 30 years, well if you look back 30 years, I don't think he ever had a team that was the best in the league that would win it. The Bucks teams were fine teams but I don't think you beat the Sixers (Dr. J, Moses) or the Celtics (Cowens/White/Archibald/Chaney then Bird/Chief/McHale) with guys on their last legs like Lanier and Sikma or with Paul Mokeski/Alton Lister as your starting center. As for the Warriors (Rd. 1) it was amazing they even won a series with Vic Alexander/Tolbert/Gatling as your center. Mavs? They were dead when he got there, he didn't even have JKidd or Mashburn. He traded for Nash and picked Nowitzki.</div>

May not have had the outright best team, but he definitely has had teams that should have made it farther than they did and his coaching style simply can not get things done. Can we blame him for not making the finals at all in 30 years? I think so, but if you don't want to can you at least quesiton why he's only made the CONFERENCE finals three times in his career?

He's a great coach to give teams/cities energy in short little time spurts but that's pretty much it. If Warriors plan on doing something though they have to find a coach or a philosophy that will force them to play a style of basketball that doesn't rely on making 14 three pointers to win games. They have the players but they just need to find the right way to play.

18. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Amazing how the opinions differ:

Charley Rosen of foxsports.com:

The rights to Brandan Wright were dealt from Charlotte to Golden State in exchange for Jason Richardson. Wright is certainly talented, but he's a rookie and therefore far from being a proven performer. The veteran Richardson, however, has already demonstrated beyond doubt that he's a terrific scorer who can create his own shots and is extremely reliable in the clutch.

"Create own shots" and "extremely reliable in clutch"? Did I watch the same player?

Chris Mannix at CNNSI.com:

"Jason Richardson can score but can't do much else." That's what I saw.</div>

Yeah, seems like you either love or hate this trade. Though it seems like the people who don't like it seem to write off Brandan Wright and overrate J-Rich.

19. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I have not read the posts but this was a good trade.

20. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I neither love nor hate this trade.

As for Nelson not making it to the finals, He had the team to do it and mismanaged the franchise and University Program Killer Webber (Nelson wasn't the 1st or last on that list).

As for the Mavs, he had heart issues as that team was coming together and he took a back seat to Avery. Everyone talked about how great a job Avery did with that team, but look how far he's taken them. I consider Nellie one of the top 5 or 6 coaches in the history of the game, hands down. Of course that's my opinion. I'm just elated that he'll be back next season.