Thanks for the memories Jason

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by wtwalker77, Jun 28, 2007.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

As I said before, I'm torn because my loyalties are to JRich, but my "GM" smarts lean toward this being a very good deal.

In addition, think about this: if we do want to build around Monta, he's going to need a slot to fill. With 4 years of JRich left, Monta would always be behind him as a SG (unless he leaps him in the rotation, in which case we'd have a $50 mils back-up SG). At least this way, Monta is given the starting role, more or less, to prove himself. I have never seen Monta as a pure PG. I know Nellie wants him to be, but I don't see it, at least not as a pure, full time PG.

In addition, regardless of how they want the roster to shake out (I actually think Bellineli is going to be a pleasant surprise at SG as well), we get the trade exemption, which gives us nice flexibility, and we also cut our cap to make more room to sign Beans, Monta, Barnes, etc as needed.

Add to this that we may have just landed a future star stud at PF in Wright, and you have to like the overall outcome, despite losing the face of the franchise in JRich.

Finally, I'm going to have to be critical for a moment, despite my love for JRich's devotion to the team and fans. There were times last year, after the knee surgery, before and after the hand surgery, when I felt JRich was more of a hinderance than a help to the team. I remember the stretch where he was out, and Az, Barnes, and Monta filled in great at SG. The team wasn't great, but at times we had great ball movement and chemistry. When JRich returned, I remember it seeming as though he struggled to re-define his role (which many players do after injuries).

More often than not, we saw not the former JRich -- the high-wire, explosive, aggressive dunk-champ -- but rather a shadow, standing around at the three line, shooting jumpshots, avoiding contact, and having trouble staying in front of his man.

Also, there were a few instances when Jrich had a wide-open dunk, and barely made it. It was kind of sad. I know what that's like -- I've had a knee surgery too -- and you could see JRich trying to "hide" his weaknesses on the court.

Jrich also isn't great for the up-tempo game, IMO. He's not a good passer or dribbler, the two key elements in run-n-gun. He doesn't finish off one foot, a key aspect while sprinting up court. He's also more of a shooter now than a fill-the-lane and finish type of player. Even though he's more of a leader and star player, both Barnes and Monta are better suited for what Nelson wants to do.

This may sound funny, but I actually don't think GS is missing much by cutting JRich. Even if they got nothing in return other than cap relief, they are at least making room for Monta and for the newer upcoming contracts. But to get a possible star PF to boot, that's a good thing.

Now, there was a flash of the old JRich in the playoffs -- I'm thinking of that awesome alley-oop late in one of the close games -- but the question is if he can return to that old form. I sure will be rooting for the Bobcats now, that's for sure.

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I think you guys had an excellent draft. Obviously you're still riding the high from a magical playoff run, but I think it became a question of whether the team was willing to settle for 1st/2nd round playoff exits, or they really intended to aim for a championship (lots of teams say this, but few have the guts to follow through with it). J-Rich has been a part of your organization for a long-time, but in the long run his salary would overshadow his contributions to the team, IMO.

As for the actual picks, I think the Chris Bosh-Brandon Wright comparisons work very well. You guys might not remember it, but Bosh looked very similar to Wright coming out of college (Bosh vs. Wright) and, while he played better than BW in college (probably because he didn't have a frontcourt partner like Hansborough) he wasn't exactly dominant. I think the common factor with both of them will be that they will both do the majority of their development in the NBA. Bosh was very skinny and raw when he first came in the league and while he was versatile, it was hard to get a handle of his game at first. But he worked on certain aspects every offseason (1st year he worked on taking his man off the dribble and adjusted to an 82 game schedule, 2nd he worked on a good jumpshot and put on more muscle, 3rd he drastically improved his rebounding and extended his J to the 3 pt. line, etc.) and it lead to the player we see today. Brandon will have to do the same, but I think he's the most similar prospect since Bosh was drafted in '03. If develops properly and fullfills his potential, you have an excellent frontcourt duo that compliment each other and you have all your young players hitting their prime around the same time.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Jrich has definately hit some clutch shots in his time like the one against minnesota a few years ago. As far as creating his own shot, he can only really do that in the post...

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Invalid Video Link

[​IMG]

5. AlleyOop

Ahh, Man, take this video off the thread. It hurts to watch. Gawd I'm going to miss this guy [​IMG]

That's cool seeing Jordan's facial reaction at JRich's dunk competition. He looked impressed. I hope JRich regains his hops in Charlotte.

6. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I hope he socres a 100 on us, but we still win.

7. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

As we've seen in the past, those who leave the Warriors become great, which stings for us.

But this is one case where I hope JRich becomes everything he wants to be, and I'd be proud to see him excel to great levels.

I swear, if anyone boos JRich when he comes to play us, beat their asses!!!

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Funny how we were all happy to see Murphy and Dunleavly go, but here we are now crying over JRich. Funny how different of players they were.

I wonder how JRich is feeling right now. [​IMG]

9. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

I know the Warriors get a lot of cap space doing this trade. But wasn't Jrich the face of the franchise?
    It seems that Warrior fans shouldnt get to attached to their star players. Jrich traded. Jamison traded. Hughes traded. Gilbert Arenas traded. Dunleavy traded. Long time warrior Dampier,traded. Now theres rumors your guys' favorite Monta Ellis will be gone. Better not get to attached to Biedrins.

I mean unless you guys like getting new fanchise players every year, it just seems a lil ridculous to an outsider non-warrirors fan.

10. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Legacy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Funny how we were all happy to see Murphy and Dunleavly go, but here we are now crying over JRich. Funny how different of players they were.

I wonder how JRich is feeling right now. [​IMG]</div>

Totally. I did cry when Dunmurphy left -- but those were tears of JOY [​IMG] [​IMG]

With JRich, I want nothing but the best for him. It's funny, because I've never rooted for any other team. I've never had a "2nd favorite team" because I never really watched/rooted for anyone else (except during POs). But I was already on the verge of rooting for the Cats last year because of the "underdog factor" and because of Okafor, Felton, Morrison, Wallace, May, etc. I just thought they had a lot of young talent, and I liked the character of Okafor and Felton. Now, with JRich there, they are now my other team. Go Cats!

11. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">The Walrus Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know the Warriors get a lot of cap space doing this trade. But wasn't Jrich the face of the franchise?
    It seems that Warrior fans shouldnt get to attached to their star players. Jrich traded. Jamison traded. Hughes traded. Gilbert Arenas traded. Dunleavy traded. Long time warrior Dampier,traded. Now theres rumors your guys' favorite Monta Ellis will be gone. Better not get to attached to Biedrins.

I mean unless you guys like getting new fanchise players every year, it just seems a lil ridculous to an outsider non-warrirors fan.</div>

Arenas wasn't traded, he left. Hughes wasn't traded either; he left. Dampier was gone anyway. That was just a sign-n-trade to get something back. Dunleavy was traded -- but he wasn't a franchise player. He was a running joke to Warriors fans.

How have we been getting a new franchise player every year? JRich has been the franchise player for 6 years... [​IMG]

12. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Jrich had some much speed when he dunked. They weren't power dunks, they were fast windmills/360's etc. He was pretty cool. Sad to see him go, but excited about our future. We were going to have to let him go eventually. Best of luck to him...

13. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Dang, watch that video and count how many different Warriors were on the court throughout all of them. Obviously as part of the Warriors he was one of the main guys throughout. First he started as probably number 2 before Arenas came around. Then he was number 3. Then he quickly jumped to the number one guy on the team and had a great season. Then Baron came, and last season JRich was hurt for most of it but he gave it his all like always. I am so happy for him, that he achieved his goal of taking Golden State to the playoffs. Now he'll have a good shot at making it to the all-star game in the East I think (though Ray Allen going to Boston doesn't necessarly help). Also, how many coaches did he play for while with Golden State?

There has been Nelson, Montgomery, Musselman, Cowens, Winters, and who else? So maybe 5?

14. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Arenas wasn't traded, he left. Hughes wasn't traded either; he left. Dampier was gone anyway. That was just a sign-n-trade to get something back. Dunleavy was traded -- but he wasn't a franchise player. He was a running joke to Warriors fans.

How have we been getting a new franchise player every year? JRich has been the franchise player for 6 years... [​IMG]</div>

Oh my bad, i thought those guys were traded away. But anyways, it just seems that Jrich worked so hard, and stuck with the losing seasons and never demanded a trade. He makes it to the playoffs once, and the warriors trade him away. Seems kinda low to me

15. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">The Walrus Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know the Warriors get a lot of cap space doing this trade. But wasn't Jrich the face of the franchise?

I mean unless you guys like getting new fanchise players every year, it just seems a lil ridculous to an outsider non-warrirors fan.</div>

Dampier traded was a great move. Dunleavy was not a star, he was horrible and a great trade. Arenas was horrible for us, it was because of the rules for re-signing second rounders.

16. warriorsman

warriorsman BBW Member

I'm going to miss him, but o well we got a great young player. I will miss you J Rich