The 2022 Trade Idea Thread, now with more urgency!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 1, 2022.

1. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

On the roster meant he was not traded and we pay the $4m since he would be waved - so only as far as the cap is concerned. The other option of course is that he is traded before that and brings some value - but I did want to look at the worst case scenario to make your argument for you, because, if he is traded before - there is still value that we will get from that trade.

If anyone should be Shaking his head - it is not you. I tried to show that even if this was a worst case scenario that argument was not correct.

2. andalusian

So, you think they never had the intention to go down from 4 to 2 - and the CJ trade happened in a vacuum. Please. Any executive that does these kinds of moves without having a longer term plan is not worth anything. What we have seen so far is the start of the process of rebalancing the roster - and given the cap situation - this is not something that will be done with one trade - and you are not likely win all the battles - some wars are won despite some battles lost.

In addition, as I said earlier in this thread - we can still trade Bledsoe as well - so don't come at me with "what could happen" if we did not do that trade - but ignore the case of "what could happen" when we did it.

All I am saying is that the trade by itself is not great, but even at a worst case scenario - not as bad as some point - when you look at what the organization says they are trying to do. At worst, the managed to route some month from guards to flexibility to get bigger players on the roster - even if there are no more trades involving Bledsoe and / or KJ.

RR7 likes this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The value he can now bring back in a trade is either 3.9M or the team trading for him has to take him on at 19.3M. He lost all of his trade value an hour and a half ago.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  4. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    The apologists were saying after the turd burger trade with the Clippers that we are setting ourselves up for a big trade closer to the deadline.

Now it’s that we’re setting ourselves up free agency.

Ugh

5. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

What will happen:
    Wait for the draft! That’s when the trades will happen!
    We use both draft picks….
    FA agency comes abd we sign mediocre players on decent deals and we will hear “wait for the deadline so we can flip these decent contracts for a big time player”
    Nothing happens….

same shit over and over with this useless franchise

Labinot41 likes this.
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You're mixing your cartoons.

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  7. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

So before it was a trade that made sense to you, now it is a battle lost but a necessary loss? I don't see how a team in our stage of contention can afford to lose trades for some larger process. Just wait and do a trade later, we are not winning anything of significance now.

Next year we are paying 3 scrubs $11 million when Norm made $17. Also we will have a loss of a roster spot, and 4 million of that will be dead money that can't be traded. We are worse off today than if the trade never happened, either if we rebuild or if we try to contend.

Trading Bledsoe now is an extreme longshot since only a team with cap space (the Thunder) can acquire him unless his contract is guaranteed. Trading Norm in the offseason was and is not a longshot at all.

It's an indefensible trade, please go ahead and keep trying to defend it.

MickZagger likes this.
  8. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

It's OK, they came to visit us in Springfield.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Fischer said we had legit interest in Grant, and Dame was pushing for it, especially after we got the NO pick. It's also something to keep in mind moving forward

Also said both our deals were "unanimously viewed around the league as below value trades, and the fact that Portland had multiple deals where they got the short end of the stick could set them back. "

"Objectively felt around the league that Portland lost."

blazerkor and Natebishop3 like this.
  10. lamlor

lamlor Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone saw this.

11. andalusian

I am saying that the only way this team can be improved is by changing the roster and the only probably way to do that is to get cap space. If the plan succeeds or not we do not know - but we do know that it would not work if the roster did not change - after the last GM we had, I am happy that there is a plan for real change - I acknowledge that it might fail, but I know for a fact that not making changes was a certain failure - so I happy about that. I am not ready to judge a process in it's first steps.

If you want to judge every trade on it's own, be my guest. I have no internal knowledge - so the only way I am judging it is based on the mission statement issued (balancing the roster) - if there were better or worse trades - I do not know since I do not know how other teams value the players contracts that were traded. Maybe there were better trades out there, there probably were better trades out there but with a much smaller chance of happening - so my interpretation is that the team finally has a plan that is not the status quo - and they are willing to execute it - and for that, I am happy.

RR7 likes this.
  12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

A blind man could see that we took a bunch of L's.

blazerkor likes this.
  13. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

if you read this forum, must be a lot of ray charles's out there.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I suspect that most of them are on my ignore list :lol:

Gee I wonder why :grin:

15. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

there will probably be no cap-space. There was probably never was going to be cap-space

right now the inclusive Blazer cap for next season is somewhere around 145-146M. Projected salary cap is 121M. So, Portland renouncing the non-Bird rights to Elleby, McLemore, and Smith puts the Blazers around 140-141M. NOT having the Pels 1st round pick would drop the Blazers down to 136-137M. Renouncing both TPE's drops Portland to around 110M. Hooray!! they now have 10-11M in cap-space!! by sacrificing the more valuable TPE's

but wait....that doesn't account for Bledsoe's 3.9M guarantee so Portland only has 6-7M in space. But wait, part 2....Blazers only have 10 players so they are assessed 2 roster charges dropping their space to 4-5M

ok then. They can renounce Josh Hart and they have 13M more, minus the 1M for the added roster charge and Portland is at 16-17M in cap-space

So then, the way to get enough space to approach a max offer would be renouncing Nurkic's rights, and shedding his 18M cap-hold (but adding another roster charge). That would get them at 33-34M in space. But 29-30M if they have the good fortune to have the Pels 1st conveyed this draft

now, I'm scribbling this from memory and I may have the numbers wrong. But I've see the free agent class and unless the Blazers are making a run at Zach LaVine, most of those moves aren't worth it. And, it would likely require renouncing the rights to Simons

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Almost verbatim what was told to me this morning.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

2 first round picks for Grant.....yeeeeeesh

HailBlazers and TBpup like this.
  18. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

So much for that. He had a shorter tenure than NAW with you guys.

SlyPokerDog and SlyPokerCat like this.
  19. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Blazers should scoop him up.

Shaboid likes this.
  20. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Jesus man, maybe chill out a bit

SlyPokerCat likes this.