The Batum tracker thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. KevinCSN

KevinCSN Member

This is probably accurate.

2. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

What's scary Kev, is he is going to want MORE as he watches his teammates cash in. My question for Nic, is he willing to what he doesn't want to do to cash in?

Not sold its about ability but more on what's good for Nic.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. KevinCSN

KevinCSN Member

Hard to imagine Portland resigning him after '15-'16.

4. OneLifeToLive

Well...

They resigned him once.

5. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

And they will again if it's for less $$$.

6. OneLifeToLive

Why would he accept less? :)

He's going to want more? And if you want to know the truth he will be a better player then than what he was he signed his extension.

7. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Well, he's I think he's probably going to get a contract similar to Chandler Parsons. The cap space will make them at least think about it.

8. OneLifeToLive

My concern is sooner than later we are going hear the fatigue word with him and that's when I think I will come unglued.

9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I am more concerned with Lillard than any other player. It sucks Batum isn't doing well, but I think our wings rely on the attention Lillard gets to be effective. When Lillard isn't demanding attention, teams won't have to double him on the perimeter. Until Lillard gets out of this funk, we are a mediocre team

10. OneLifeToLive

T
    I am too. Jabari Young made an interesting point. How will Damian respond to all that's happened to him in the last 6 months. Will he let it all go to his head etc? Well, we are three games with him struggling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  11. magnifier661

I don't see that as getting to his head, in terms of what Jabari was talking about. I believe that Jabari was referring to feeling entitled and being lackluster because of it. I have no doubt Lillard is trying to play. Something is up with his head. He's not as confident as he was the last 2 seasons so far.

12. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Have you guys not noticed lillard being doubled for large portions of the game? Teams are clearly attacking him. It looks as of they decided to let Aldridge get more looks and try to take away dame

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Ball movement solves the problem but Lillard is not a stellar passer. His assist numbers are terrible for a point guard who wants to be elite. When he drives the lane he's getting blocked instead of dishing out to the open shooter.

14. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You really believe the 29 other GMS would rather have Wes than Nic on their team?

15. OneLifeToLive

I see where you both are going but what good is that talent and potential if he decides not to tap into it?

Yes, give me Wes for god sakes.

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

That's always been the most effective defensive strategy against us. Everyone knows that Dame is the motor that makes this team work. However, when doubled outside of the 3-point arc he isn't capable of making a quick, crisp pass to LMA because the guy who is doubling off LMA knows where he is popping to and can stay in the passing lane while doubling Lillard. So Lillard either has to rainbow a pass over to LMA, which takes time to reach him and results in a low-percentage shot, or Batum has to come up from the baseline to try to create a passing lane for Lillard. But this passing lane doesn't create a scoring opportunity - it's just a bail out for the effective double-team. Doubling Lillard on the pick/pop will bring the offense to (a) a standstill, or (b) a low-percentage jumper.

If we were to run a secondary play in parallel to the pick/pop it might result in someone creating a passing lane for Lillard. For example (maybe not a good one, but it should hopefully illustrate the point), if we were to have Nic on the left wing, Wes in the left corner, and Rolo on the right block, then send Nic baseline with Rolo setting a pick AS LMA is setting the pick for Lillard, then Nic would end up open on the right wing as Lillard is getting doubled. Now we'd have LMA open at the top of the key, Nic open on the right wing, and two defenders on Lillard well away from the hoop. Pass to Nic for an open shot, or he can quickly dive to the hoop and either dish to Rolo for the flush or LMA for the jumper.

OR, if LMA wasn't so one-dimensional he could pop to different locations or even try ROLLING to the hoop so that the guy doubling off of him can't play the passing lane so damn easily.

17. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

This is exactly where Batum comes in. He has to make himself available for the pass and when he gets it he has got to make the shot. Either that or make the extra pass and go to Wes or Rolo which is what he has been doing for the most part.

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

But it starts with coaching. The play isn't run with that secondary hypothetical play I outlined - it's just a pick/pop with everyone else stationary in their set positions. Nic is set-up on the right wing and Wes on the left, so there's no chance to get side-to-side player motion that'll loosen up the defense. To run a secondary play it needs to be timed perfectly, which again comes back to coaching and practice.

19. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I don't know why that comes to any surprise he's always played like this. I know I have said this before but Batum is a very cocky player but very skilled at the same time.

20. magnifier661

That sounds like a wonderful play. It would be nice to have plan "B" options