The Batum tracker thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I think Batum's resurgence is due to a combination of factors:

a) Getting Rolo back. They seem to have a really good chemistry and both play better together than apart.

b) Rest and healing. We know his wrist has been bothering him most of the season. Those 9 days off seem to have provided a ton of healing - both physical and psychological.

c) Wes going down. I really don't buy this one much as he's been playing great since the AS break - even before Wes was injured.

d) Guarding the other team's elite PGs. This is one I haven't seen anyone else mention. Since the AS break, Stotts has gone back to putting Nic on the other teams' PGs in the 4th quarter. For some reason, when he's tasked with defending elite PGs (Westbrook, CP3, etc.) it seems to energize his entire game. It's like it lights a fire under him. He was guarding CP3 in the 4th quarter and OT of the Clippers game and also attacking at the other end. Honestly, in all his years here in Portland, that 4th quarter and OT against the Clipps was probably the best I've ever seen Nic play on both ends of the court. He was shutting down CP3 at one end and attacking the rim, hitting 3s and setting up his teammates at the other end. If we get anything close to that Nic in the playoffs, we will be a tough out for anyone.

BNM

2. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

This is gonna get a little OT

Actually... Assuming Afflalo bounces (would love if he stayed), we could bring in a legit 6th man and still start Wes (when he comes back)on limited minutes. Guys like JR Smith, Rodney Stuckey (my preferred player) and Lou Williams will be available. Also, I think if we can package our pick+CJ draft night and move up to around 18-20 and draft Delon Wright (maybe get a big coming back too).

Lineup would be SICK (post xmas)

Dame / Wright / Blake
    Wes / Stuckey
    Batum / Crabbe / Wright
    Aldridge / Leonard
    Lopez / Kaman (?) / Freeland (?)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Personally I think Batum plays better defensively when he's asked to score, not just set people up.
    Matthews proved in his younger years he's not a good 6th man..
    Could Batum prove that when he's asked to score, that he stays more engaged on both ends. IDK time will tell..
    There is no other possible #3 option beside him now. So it's needed now, especially when teams trap Lillard on the P&R.
    He is now the wing outlet.
    Batum has always been that second play maker on the perimeter, but he could get away with not being... because of the volume Matthews would shoot at.
    Now he can't get away with it.