The BLAME GAME: Olshey or Stotts or both?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Dec 9, 2016.

1. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

olshey should have signed everyone for the league minimum. what's wrong with this guy? i barely crest 40k a year how am i supposed to pay these salaries?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think we covered Batum's game with Plumlees assists and Aminus defense as well as Crabbes inconsistent shot

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Great - it now takes 3 guys to do the job one guy use to do. That's the problem with the team - we have too many guys that can only do one thing well, and in many cases they don't even do that one thing all that well! Davis, Crabbe, Aminu, Meyers, Stotts - all one trick ponies that flub their trick a little too often.

Wizard Mentor, BonesJones and BBert like this.
  4. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Blame? For a two game improvement over last season?

Seems to me like you meant to say "credit."

riverman, dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm saving my meltdown for March

HailBlazers and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Whats a meltdown? I've never had one. Just ask @HCP

rasheedfan2005 likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

uh....Raymond Felton coming off the bench behind Jamal Crawford at point...Oden's medical retirement, Roy's medical retirement and the Nolan Smith, Kaleb Canales, Luke Babbitt fest comes to mind.....I was real grumpy that season

Orion Bailey likes this.
  8. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

now that's some high quality H2lol

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

From you? YOU????? I'm gonna have to really sift through the history. I just don't see it from ya. lol.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That Blazer fansite is long gone.....

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    The team meeting: The last refuge of a scoundrel.

12. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Absolutely Stotts. The team plays with no concrete directive except free reign - loosely tied into an 'around the horn' and 'weave' offense.
    So when they come up against some difficulties there is no efficient, disciplined system to fall back on when the creativity fails. They flounder.

I can't stress the discipline enough. Players are taking VERY inefficient and ill-advised shots, along with a healthy dose of hero-ball.
    That lack of discipline stems from no accountability, or instilled discipline from Stotts.

Our players are capable of much better defense if even only stepped up to a mediocre defensive system (that actually doesn't switch guards onto bigs - and doesn't instead help the other team), along with much better shooting in a more disciplined and personally accountable offensive system.

13. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    But mostly, so far this is on Olshey. He bought the hype from our success last year. That said, Ezeli hasn't played a minute and he would make a difference.

14. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

This, this, a THOUSAND times THIS!!!

BonesJones likes this.
  15. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

You're the GM of any team in the league: Portland calls up and says Allan Crabbe is available. What are you going to offer for him, with him making 18.5 mil per year? Same with Turner. Can you come up with one realistic idea?

BonesJones likes this.
  16. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Even worse - you'd have to find someone to take on 21 Million with the trade kicker in Crabbe's contract.
    Still can't believe the decision to match that contract on a mediocre loafer. . .

Sinobas likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My only hope is that he's just dug a hole that will make him take it to the next level by summer...stranger things have happened...as is, he's way behind his pay grade

18. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    There are 3 big opportunities per year to get players: the draft, the free agency period after the draft, and the Midseason Trade Deadline. Olshey doesn't believe in using that last opportunity. Bob Whitsitt never missed it.

Every year right after the Midseason Trade Deadline, I criticize Olshey for sitting on his ass. The lazy butts on this board whine, "He's waiting till the draft." Right after the draft when he does nothing, I say something. They cry, "He's waiting till the free agency period." After he does nothing then, they say, "He's building assets for a trade this summer." After he does nothing they say, "He's waiting till the Midseason Trade Deadline."

In this thread, a couple of people said, "Blame the lazy players. They aren't poor quality, which would be Olshey's fault. They're all star-quality and are just not working hard." Well now who selected our 15 lazy superstars?

Stotts has a weird system which abhors an inside game. Every time a Blazer has the ball in scoring position under the basket, he passes back out instead of going up and getting fouled. The same outside emphasis is there on defense, as well as offense. It's the opposite of all common sense (funnel it inside) that I've seen for decades in the NBA. Whether you blame players or coach, it's Olshey who has the power to change things, and he never feels pressure to rise to Whitsitt's active energetic standard of replacing players or coach, because of the apologists for mediocrity we're reading right here.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    BonesJones likes this.
  19. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Sacremento GM: "We're willing to give you Demarcus Cousions for CJ, Crabbe, Meyers, and a 1st."

Neil Olshey: " Umm... I can't. This message board is saying that it's fine. We'll stay. Yeah, we'll stay. I can't. I just can't."

Because that's how your last sentence sounded.

20. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    A GM must be a good talent evaluator. It takes no such talent to notice that Cousins is a star. What takes talent is to pluck an unnoticed young player from anonymity and make him bloom. Olshey tried to do this with Ed Davis, Aminu, Turner, etc., but they aren't good enough. The guys who are good enough (Lillard and McCollum) were conventional wisdom for where they were in the draft, not genius finds.

Olshey will never get Cousins because every other GM is after him. Whitsitt found players without big names who were undervalued by other GMs. A GM's success depends on his ability as a talent evaluator of unknowns, not in his chasing obvious big names like Cousins. (Except for glittery Los Angeles, New York, and maybe Boston.)

(Looking at what I just wrote, I see that the 2nd paragraph is just a rewording of the 1st.)

Nikolokolus likes this.