The Blazer's Situation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by rafy, May 27, 2007.

1. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> There's been a fair amount of mail lately and I'm trying to get back to everyone. But Marc writes an interesting set of questions applicable to all. I'm going to try to answer to the best of my knowledge and maybe you folks can help out where I miss something.

I, and I believe many other fans, would welcome a discussion of what type of trades would be consistent with the Blazers' salary cap. For this purpose, I would like to understand the effect on trade possibilities of

(1) allowing Magloire to go elsewhere,
    (2) persuading Miles to retire,
    (3) having our obligation to Derek Anderson expire
    (4) withholding an offer to Outlaw until a trade has been completed, and
    (5) offering or accepting a draft choice as partial trade consideration.

1. Jamaal's salary last year was $8.3 million dollars. We are under no obligation to re-sign him and if we do not that amount will come off of our salary cap.

2. Darius was a little cheaper than Jamaal...$7.75 million. (That buys a lot of Krispy Kremes.) The league's collective bargaining agreement includes a provision that if a player is declared medically unfit to play at least one year after sustaining an injury he may retire and although the team still pays his salary it does not count against the cap. This would be a huge boon to the Blazers.

3. Our obligation to Derek WILL expire and knock $9.75 million off of the cap.</div>

Source

There's a little more after that, including signing Rashard as a FA, and our four second round picks, and a few other topics, good read overall.