The Columbus Crew

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Report:
    Crew, Fire finally seal long-rumored deal for Duka

[​IMG]

Eastern Conference rivals Chicago and Columbus have finally concluded their extended haggling and completed a trade that sends Dilly Duka to the Windy City in exchange for speedster Dominic Oduro.

The deal would bolster Chicago’s new-look midfield with the skillful Duka, a former US youth international capable of playing multiple positions. A member of the 2009 Generation adidas class, the 23-year-old was highly rated upon his departure from Rutgers University, though his relationship with the Crew coaching staff seemed to degrade towards the end of last season, which was blighted by a hamstring injury in the first game of the year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/01/report-crew-fire-finally-seal-duka-deal

2. EPJr

2013 Depth Chart: Columbus Crew

[​IMG]

3. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Crew win on road

A familiar sight and a contribution from a blossoming prospect combined to help the Crew do something that no road team had done to D.C. United in more than a year.

Andy Gruenebaum’s top-notch goalkeeping and Ben Speas’ goal in the 58th minute lifted the Crew to a 2-1 victory yesterday, bringing United’s 19-game home unbeaten streak to an end in front of 11,034 at RFK Stadium.

4. truebluefan

Crew Comes Back to Salvage a Point at Home against Union

Dominic Oduro's 72nd minute equalizer from a tight angle salvaged a draw for the Crew against the Philadelphia Union in front of its home fans on Saturday night. Known for his speed, Oduro slipped through the Union backline to receive a ball from Eddie Gaven nearly at the endline to beat 'keeper Zac MacMath to near post for the leveler.

"Danny [O'Rourke] played me a really good ball and I just took a good touch and I saw Dom making a really good run on the right side of the box and he did all the rest," Gaven recalled after the match.

Added Oduro: "I saw Eddie, we made eye contact, I made the movement and he made the right pass. I was just praying for glory, hitting the ball from that angle. I was hoping that it would go off somebody to tuck it in. I'm glad it went in."

The tally was Oduro's second for the Black & Gold this season after joining the team from the Chicago Fire in January as Gaven picked up his second assist of 2013.

SECOND HALF BOOST

Lacking energy for much of the first half, Jack McInerney's 34th minute counterattack tap-in to put the Union ahead 1-0 was all the Crew needed to wake up and fight back. Head Coach Robert Warzycha's halftime message inspired his team to play the way it had to pick up two road wins against Chivas USA and D.C. United last month.

"[The message] was to wake up, really," defender Tyson Wahl explained. "It was a message that was deserved. Myself and a bunch of other guys, we were a little bit lethargic. Everyone needed to wake up. Unfortunately the slap in the face was the goal and I think that was what it took. You can't really afford to start a game that way."

"It wasn't a fun place to be in [the locker room at halftime]," Gaven echoed. "We didn't play very well in that first half and we all knew it. There were some things that we needed to change and I think we did. We played much better during the second half."

Pleased with his side's second half, Warzycha wants to make sure his players don't become content with their playing time.

"The second half, we changed the formation a little bit," the Head Coach said. "More than anything, we had more energy. We started to play, we started to chase the guys, we started to win 50-50s. We had a little bit more of an idea of how we play.

"I think in the first half, some of the guys got too comfortable playing a full game-- some of them-- and they're thinking they're going to be on the field all of the time. That is not the case."

The Crew travels north of the border next week to face the Eastern Conference leading Montreal Impact.

MARSHALL MILESTONE

In the 58th minute of Saturday's match, defender Chad Marshall became the 46th player in MLS history to play 20,000 minutes and just the 12th to reach the plateau with one club. The veteran became the only player in Crew player in history to reach the milestone in Black & Gold.

"It feels like I'm getting old," the 28-year-old joked after the match. "These records and stuff only come to old people. It means a lot. I've been here a long time, since I was a teenager, so it's cool to get these accolades."

Drafted by the Crew second overall in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft, Marshall has helped the club to three MLS Supporters' Shields and the 2008 MLS Cup. The Riverside, Calif. native is also only one of three players to win the MLS Defender of the Year award twice, joining Carlos Bocanegra and former Crew teammate Robin Fraser.

"Chad is a staple in this organization," President and General Manager Mark McCullers said. "To reach 20,000 minutes is remarkable. The emotion I feel is pride. I'm proud of him. I'm proud to have him as part of this club, he means a lot to us. I think it's pretty cool and I'm looking forward to the next 20,000."

5. truebluefan

Crew blank D.C. United 3-0

Federico Higuain had a penalty and an assist and Jairo Arrieta made a triumphant return to the first XI as the Crew did all their scoring in the first half for a 3-0 victory over D.C. United on Saturday night in a match delayed 50 minutes at the start after a fire in the video board at Crew Stadium.

The teams were warming up when the blaze broke out on the top of the video board above the south stands about 25 minutes before the scheduled kickoff.

Fans were cleared from the area and the players were forced to stop warming up. No one was injured and spectators in the sections below the board, including D.C.'s traveling supporters La Barra Brava, were moved elsewhere for the match.

There was no sound system for the match and the Nordecke supporters section led the crowd of 14,090 in singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Once the game began the Crew (3-2-3) sent D.C. to their fifth straight loss and extend a winless streak to 0-5-1.

Arrieta was back in the starting lineup for the first time in five matches and the Costa Rican forward had a part in all three goals by setting up Dominic Oduro on the first; drawing a corner kick that led to Williams' score and earning a penalty that Higuain converted.

After returning from national team duty, Arrieta lost his first XI berth but quickly paid dividends vs. D.C. by setting up Oduro's fourth goal in the 15th minute.

He took a cross from by Eddie Gaven on the left side of the box and dribbled toward the endline before cutting a pass to the middle where Oduro buried a shot to give the Crew only their second goal in the first half this season.

D.C. shortly thereafter thought it had tied the match but, as they did in losing 2-1 to the Crew at home on March 23, they had a goal disallowed much to their chagrin.

In the first meeting, Kyle Porter was ruled offside before scoring while this time Perry Kitchen was called for a foul as he headed the ball into the goal. Saturday's decision in the 23rd minute became even more pivotal when Williams scored for the second time this season vs. D.C. just moments later.

After failing to earn a corner kick in losing 1-0 at Chicago the previous match, the Crew struck on their first try in the 26th minute as Federico Higuain found Williams 10 yards in front of the goal. The defender's sidewinder was his third goal of the season.

The Crew made it 3-0 in second minute of first-half stoppage time when Gaven heeled the ball to Arrieta, who was taken down from behind by Brandon McDonald.

Higuain converted the PK after a stutter-step for his second goal, adding to D.C. 's 0-5-1 run in Columbus since 2007.

The Crew will play their sixth straight Eastern Conference foe when they host New York on May 4. D.C. United hopes to be healthier for their next match May 8 against Houston at RFK Stadium.

6. truebluefan

Crew Fall to Red Bulls

Despite executing Robert Warzycha's gameplan nearly perfectly, it was Tim Cahill's looping header over Andy Gruenebaum that was the difference in the Crew's 1-0 loss to the New York Red Bulls on Saturday afternoon. The Australian midfielder's tally came off a rebound from a tremendous Gruenebaum save to deny Jonny Steele, just eight minutes after Red Bull goalkeeper Luis Robles saved a Federico HiguaÃ-n penalty.

Robles' save was the turning point in a match that the Crew had previously been dominant.

"Unfortunately, I couldn't kick the way I'm used to," HiguaÃ-n said through a translator after the match. "I couldn't convert. I had the opportunity to convert that into a goal, and just couldn't this time. I'm very sad after the situation that could've given the Crew. All that's left after that is to keep working, try to keep improving."

"The penalty changed everything," Head Coach Robert Warzycha added. "If we scored that penalty, we would probably win the game."

The Black & Gold out-shot New York 15-7 on the afternoon. Despite 10 opportunities from set pieces (five corner kicks, five free kicks), the Crew was unable to find the back of the net. Both Warzycha and Chad Marshall complimented the Red Bull backline for its defense on restarts.

"I think New York did a good job of defending [set pieces]," Warzycha explained. "I don't think anything was missing. I think Pipa was serving a pretty good ball. I'm sure they watched video and they knew what we are capable of doing. It seems like they put their head on the ball every single time. They defended well."

Added Marshall: "It's just tough. They're a good team in the air too. They've got some big guys just like us."

Despite the Crew's success of scoring five goals from set pieces so far in 2013, the Black & Gold would like to see better performance from the run of play-- especially after controlling possession for most of the match on Saturday.

"I thought for the most part we controlled the tempo of the game," Marshall said. "We just haven't really been able to really break anything down from the run of play and get opportunities. I think we need that. We can't always rely on set pieces even though we are good at those."

"I feel like we definitely put them under pressure, which was something we were trying to do going into the game," midfielder Eddie Gaven echoed. "We didn't give them too much time or space to play. It just needs to be a little bit better when we get that ball into the final third.

"That last pass, last shot just wasn't always there."

LIMITING HENRY

After Red Bull forward Thierry Henry torched the Crew for four goals and two assists in two meetings in 2012, the Black & Gold made it a priority to limit the Frenchman's chances on Saturday. Marshall, Gláuber and Danny O'Rourke brought a physical aggressiveness to defending Henry, frustrating the frustrating the superstar. Henry was unable to muster a single shot on Saturday against the Crew.

"[Henry] is a good player, obviously. He had his way with us last year, so we wanted to be physical with him and limit his touches," Marshall explained. "I thought we did a good job of keeping guys around him.

"They're a good offensive team and they didn't really have anything on us."

Added Warzycha: "[Henry] is a good player -- so whatever you do, you have to stop him from scoring the goals. [The Crew defense] did a good job on Henry today. I don't think I remember him having too much success, to be honest."

ONE MORE FOR THE HOMESTAND

Next weekend, the Crew will close a three-match homestand as the Black & Gold host the Colorado Rapids before heading back on the road for matches in Toronto and New York. The Crew would like nothing more than to finish the stretch with a win against the Rapids, especially after Saturday's disappointment against the Red Bulls.

"Definitely after a loss, you always want to put that game in the past," Gaven said. "Learn from it and move on. Having a game at home next weekend will hopefully give us the opportunity to do that. Hopefully we can get back on track and get three points."

7. truebluefan

Crew End Homestand with Loss to Rapids

Edson Buddle scored 22 goals at Crew Stadium in his time with the Black & Gold, but his first as visiting opposition in the eighth minute of Sautrday night's match was all the Colorado Rapids needed to hand the Crew its second-straight home match. Rapids midfielder Dillon Powers added a second-half insurance tally in the 69th as his shot from the top of the box deflected off Crew defender Josh Williams and past a helpless Andy Gruenebaum in net.

Much like last week's match against the New York Red Bulls, the Crew was the agressor for much of the match. The Black & Gold out-shot the Rapids 22-4, but failed to find the net despite constant pressure in Colorado's half of the field.

"I think we had enough chances to score the goals," Head Coach Robert Warzycha said in his post-match press conference. "I think the intensity level was good. I think the attitude and pressure -- I think we were very aggressive, but the ball didn't bounce our way."

Added midfielder Eddie Gaven: "I feel like the team played pretty well at times tonight. It was that last pass, last shot that always let us down time-in and time-out. We ended up getting punished for it. They got two or three chances, and they put both of them away. There's the game."

Saturday marked the first time since 2009 that the Black & Gold fell at Crew Stadium in consecutive matches. With three-straight matches at home starting with a 3-0 win against D.C. United, the team had hoped to end the homestand with more than three points.

"It's tough to only get three points out of the last three games at home," Gaven explained. "It's not good anyway that you slice it.

"We have to keep working. We're not just going to pout about it. We're not just going to put our heads down. We're going to keep on working and try to make the thing better. That's all we can do at this point."

SANCHEZ SHINES

Making his first start since joining the Crew from Estudiantes in the offseason, Matnchez was all over the field to disrupt the Rapids' attack on Saturday night. Sanchez's hustle to break up plays and distribute the ball to Crew attackers was enough to catch the fans' eyes and earn him Barbasol Man of the Match honors.

"I think he was one of the best players on the field, to be honest with you," Warzycha said of the Argentine. "He was very aggressive. He was a good passer, so I think he did what we asked him to do.

"I have to say he shined today."

8. truebluefan

Crew Battles past Toronto FC 1-0

The faces were new, but the result was the same for Toronto FC, as Federico HiguaÃ-n and the Columbus Crew continued their mastery of their Trillium Cup rivals in a 1-0 victory at BMO Field on Saturday.

Newcomers Steven Caldwell, Jeremy Brockie and Bobby Convey all made their TFC debuts, but it went for naught as the Reds dropped their fourth straight game in MLS play. Conversely, Columbus snapped a two-game winless and scoreless streak of their own.

Dominic Oduro broke through with the game-winning goal for the Crew in the 42nd minute after a pin-point lead pass by HiguaÃ-n on a play in which TFC defender Doneil Henry was caught too far up the pitch to recover against the lighting-quick Columbus forward.

Both teams generated plenty of scoring chances but lacked the finishing touch in an often hapless first half. HiguaÃ-n hit both the crossbar and the post while TFC attackers Robert Earnshaw, Luis Silva and Justin Braun each blew good opportunities right in front of goal.

Toronto came closest in the 38th minute when Silva did a fantastic job to head an Earnshaw cross back across the box to a wide-open Braun, who ultimately volleyed the ball wide of the Columbus net when he actually had time to control the ball and deliver a more controlled shot.

TFC head coach Ryan Nelsen attempted to jumpstart his team's offense to start the second half by bringing on recently acquired winger Convey, then substituting in Brockie in the 64th minute. But the Reds still struggled to engineer scoring opportunities against a Crew backline missing stalwart central defender Chad Marshall due to injury.

With the loss, Toronto are still looking for their first regular-season win at BMO Field under Nelsen and saw their winless streak in league play stretch to nine games. They next head to New England on May 25.

Columbus meanwhile, maintained their success in Toronto, where they have yet to lose in seven trips. With the win, they pulled even with fifth-place Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference and next head to New York on May 26.

9. truebluefan

Banged-Up Crew Can't Fault Effort in Draw at New York

The Columbus Crew saw their first signature win of the season evaporate in stoppage time on Sunday, but considering the circumstances and the opponents, a 2-2 draw at Red Bull Arena wasn't all bad.

"We gave up a goal the last minute," Crew coach Robert Warzycha told MLSsoccer.com by phone after the match. "It's a mixed emotion. We're happy with the point here because New York is a good team. But we gave up a late goal. We're disappointed with that.

"They laid it on the line. I can't complain about my players. The energy and attitude were good."

The Crew (4-4-4, 16 points) are now tied for sixth in the Eastern Conference - none of their wins has been against a team with a winning record - alongside New England, but took it to the first-place Red Bulls, even though by the end of the match, they looked like a MASH unit.

It started when forward Dominic Oduro scored in the second minute but suffered a thigh contusion and was replaced five minutes later.

"Right now it really hurts," the speedster told reporters. "I can barely walk."

Oduro became the sixth opening-game starter to exit the lineup due to injuries or suspensions although midfielder Danny O'Rourke reduced the number by one when he entered for MatÃ-as Sánchez in the 80th minute.

Later, Eddie Gaven went down in the 86th minute holding his left shoulder in a collision in front of the Crew goal as they tried to preserve the one-goal advantage presented to them when Federico HiguaÃ-n converted a penalty in the 74th minute.

Gaven stayed in the game and said afterward he is fine but center back Kevan George had to come off the field shortly after Jámison Olave got the equalizer in the 91st minute after being unmarked in the box.

"Those things happen when a team is pressing so hard," Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum told MLSsoccer.com of the goal, "but we've got to do better closing it out."

10. truebluefan

Homegrown Defender Chad Barson Keys Crew Rally vs. Houston Dynamo

Chad Barson carried a 3.99 grade point average as a biology major at the University of Akron, so it's not a stretch to say the Columbus Crew's Homegrown rookie defender is a quick learner.

And having seen how first-team right back Josh Williams likes to advance the attack, Barson filled in more than capably when Williams was scratched before Saturday's game against Houston with a sore calf.

The 22-year-old, in his first MLS start and just second appearance, was instrumental in rallying Columbus to a 1-1 draw with the Houston Dynamoon Saturday night, drawing the decisive penalty kick that Federico Higuain converted in the 69th minute to level the score and move the Crew to a 4-4-5 record.

Barson took a layoff from Dominic Oduro on the right side of the box and made a cutback move to his left that forced Andrew Driver to take him down.

"I tried to step to the ball and beat the other guy to it," Barson said. "Luckily, I got a touch and he took me down."

That Barson was even in position to make the play showed some initiative for the 21-year-old.

"Maybe he's been watching Josh and it rubbed off on him," Crew center back Eric Gehrig said. "As a right back you're taught to go forward and try to make a difference in the game. He picked a good spot to go forward."

The youngster was also the beneficiary of some halftime adjustments.

"In the first half I don't think we gave him the ball enough but the second half that space was open and he was combining with Dominic [Oduro] and [Higuain] and a factor on the penalty," Columbus head coach Robert Warzycha said.

Barson said he didn't know until Saturday he was going to become the team's third Homegrown to start after goalkeeper Matt Lampson did so last season, followed by midfielder Ben Speas earlier this year.

"Maybe it was a little bit of destiny," Barson said. "My grandparents came to town this weekend. My whole family was able to come."

Not only was he well-supported by family, he got to go up against a close friend, Houston right back Kofi Sarkodie, another former Akron player, who assisted on the Dynamo goal by Warren Creavalle in the 31st minute.

"Kofi Sarkodie is one of my best friends," Barson said. "So for my first start in MLS it was interesting that we'd be going up against each other."

11. truebluefan

Crew dominates first-place Impact in 2-0 home victory

The odds were stacked against the Crew on Saturday.

The Black & Gold were coming off two deflating losses in both MLS and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play and to make matters worse, the team returned to Columbus from its Thursday loss in Chicago at 2:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning after a seven-hour bus ride. On Saturday, the first-place Montreal Impact -- on two weeks of rest -- came to town.

But the Crew didn't lie down at home. Instead, Robert Warzycha's side rallied together for a dominant 2-0 victory behind first-half goals from Matnchez and Dominic Oduro against the Eastern Conference leaders.

Perhaps that seven-hour bus ride provided the magic.

"Even though we had a lot of adversity in Chicago with the game being delayed and a bus ride, I feel like we built even more camaraderie on that trip as well," Goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum said. "Maybe there's something to that."

With only one home win to their name so far in 2013 entering Saturday's match, the Black & Gold had nothing less than three points in mind in front of the Crew Stadium faithful to begin a two-match homestand.

"I think we were just determined to go out there and win. I think everyone was in-sync, everybody had it in mind that this was a must-win game," Oduro explained after the match.

"This is the one that we really hope sets the ball rolling. We have Chicago at home next week."

12. truebluefan

Sluggish Second Half Dooms Crew against Fire

In front 19,624 fans -- in a rivalry match with the Chicago Fire -- the Crew got off to a dream start Saturday night as Federico HiguaÃ-n converted a sixth-minute penalty kick to put the Crew ahead early. But two defensive lapses early in the second half took the wind from the Black & Gold's sails as Dilly Duka and Mike Magee tallied put the Fire ahead within a two-minute span.

Disappointment blanketed the Crew locker room after dropping a home result to its longtime rival.

"Obviously, it's very disappointing at the end of the day," forward Dominic Oduro said. "I said last week, we need to keep momentum going and we did in the first half. The second half wasn't good. I hate to repeat myself, but we can't just be dropping points at home like that. We should've had three points in this game, we know that.

"The second half wasn't good enough."

Added Head Coach Robert Warzycha: "This game was everything. We talked about it before the game that this game means a lot. Chicago is just behind us (in the standings), but we said we don't think about Chicago being close to us. We think about what we can gain with getting three points. We talked about the teams that are in front of us and if we got three points, we'd be in a good position."

The Crew will now go back to the drawing board with a massive road tilt against Sporting Kansas City looming next week.

"We're playing well," Oduro explained. "We're creating chances. We just have to stop balls being scored into our net, obviously. Once we do that and take care of our net, obviously we'll be able to create chances. It's unfortunate we were unable to put a couple into the net, but we've got to keep compact. We can't let balls like that fall into our net."

Following Saturday's loss, better cohesion in the backline will be the emphasis in preparations for next week's match.

"It came down to a couple big plays in the second half and we weren't good enough on those plays," Defender Tyson Wahl said.

"When we concede goals, everyone can do something a little bit better. No one is pointing any fingers. We'll have to improve on those plays."

13. truebluefan

Crew Falls in Kansas City, 3-2

Though the personnel went unchanged, the Crew side that took the field to start the second half of Saturday's match at Sporting Kansas City looked dramatically different than the team that went into halftime trailing 1-0 following Kei Kamara's sublime finish in the 34th minute.

"We said at halftime, 'just go and win the second half, win the next 45 minutes,'" Crew Head Coach Robert Warzycha said after the match.

"Actually, the second 45 minutes were much better than the first half."

With Jairo Arrieta moving forward into the attack from the wing, the Black & Gold came out firing as the Costa Rican single handedly led a 65-yard effort to split defenders and beat Kansas City 'keeper Jimmy Nielsen to level the match in the 48th minute.

Sporting went ahead once again in the 50th minute on Claudio Bieler's volley past Andy Gruenebaum, but the resilient Crew answered just three minutes later when Dominic Oduro intercepted Seth Sinovic's pass to finish past Nielsen for the equalizer.

"Both of our goals kind of came from nothing. We weren't really able to keep possession tonight," veteran defender Chad Marshall said after the match. "Jairo [Arrieta] made a good run to beat their center back and he slotted it well."

But the night belonged to Kamara, as the former Crew striker tallied in the 80th minute to lead Sporting to victory despite a Konrad Warzycha chance to even things up in the 94th minute that missed inches wide.

Now the Crew must regroup before flying to Los Angeles for an Independence Day tilt with the Galaxy.

"We just need to tighten up defensively and take advantage of our chances," Goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum said. "I'd like to score one without giving one up for a change."

Added Robert Warzycha: "We have to go to LA and try to play the same way, play with intensity and try to win the game."

14. truebluefan

Crew Earns Win as Timbers Cut Down to 10 Men

On short rest and riding a three-match losing streak, the Crew needed the early lift Bernardo Anor provided against the Portland Timbers as the Venezuelan headed home his secong goal in as many games in the fifth minute from Federico Higuan's corner-kick service.

"It was the same, just like the one I scored against LA," Anor said after the match. "We're making the runs we're supposed to make, Pipa [Higuan] is serving the ball like he's supposed to and things are resulting pretty good for us."

Six minutes later after Anor's strike, the Black & Gold were in complete control as Portland went down a man following Pa-Modou Kah's straight red card. The Crew hung on for the remaining 79-plus minutes for its third home win of the season. With the victory, Columbus snapped the Timbers' 15-match unbeaten run.

In its 19th match of the season, the Crew has plenty of time to make up ground in the Eastern Conference playoff race. Sunday's win was a needed punch in the arm for an inconsistent Columbus side.

"Bobby [Warzycha] said some smart words before the game that, if you pay attention to, mean a lot," Anor said. "This is the start of the second half [of the season]. We have half of the games left. By winning this game, it means a lot.

"We have to keep it up and keep scoring the goals."

Head Coach Robert Warzycha had only one training session to observe Wil Trapp since his return from representing the United States at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey before deciding to place him in the starting lineup Sunday for his professional debut. Having watched Trapp progress through the Crew Soccer Academy, Warzycha knew what he was getting when the Gahanna native signed with the First Team last winter.

"After [Trapp] came back from Turkey, we gave him some time off," Warzycha explained. "We didn't want to throw him on the field right away. I think he enjoyed the few days off. Obviously, he stepped on the field and he did very well.

"We knew what he can do and what kind of player he is. He grew up here in Columbus, so it was a matter of time of when he would step on the field and do the job. He's a good player."

Trapp's experience in Turkey against the best Under-20 players in the world provided difficult test ahead of his MLS debut. With the confidence of captaining the U.S. to a 1-1 draw with France in the tournament, Trapp was sure his talents could carry over to his play with the Crew.

"I think the games I played in Turkey prepared me very well for this game," Trapp said after the match. "Still, you're playing against men here so it's never easy to adjust, but I think those games really helped me be ready for this one."

In front of his friends and family, Trapp was one of six Ohio natives in the Crew's starting lineup as he earned Barbasol Man of the Match honors for his performance.

"I think I underestimated the feeling you would get when you step on the field in front of your friends and family," the 20-year-old midfielder said. "It was awesome to see my parents in the stands and my friends, girlfriend -- all that kind of stuff, it was great.

"I think because I had so many people here, they were probably just texting away on [Man of the Match voting]. It's awesome to be recognized for that."

Starting goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum was a last minute scratch due to a shoulder ailment, leaving Homegrown Matt Lampson to step in for his second career start. The former Ohio State Buckeye was only forced to make one save -- a diving stop to deny Darlington Nagbe in the 87th minute -- to earn his first shutout.

"In terms of psyche, when a goalkeeper makes a save like that, it fills the entire team with confidence," Lampson said. "We knew we were going to get out of here with a win."

The 'keeper continued: "I really only had to make one or two saves, and that's credit to Danny [O'Rourke], the Chads [Barson and Marshall] and 'The Body' Josh [Williams". A lot of guys, this is the first big minutes they've had the entire year and every single one of them stepped up.

Even on short notice, Robert Warzycha has no fear throwing the second-year goalkeeper into the starting lineup.

"Matt had to step in in the last minute and actually he did an excellent job," Warzycha said. "He's a good goalie. I'm not afraid to put him in goal; I think he's an excellent goalkeeper."

15. truebluefan

Crew Loses Heartbreaker to Revolution

It appeared the Crew would be earning a point against the New England Revolution after the score remained deadlocked at 0-0 after 90 minutes, but then two stoppage-time goals from the Revs left the Black & Gold empty-handed and sick to their stomachs at the end of the night.

The first tally came from a Jose Goncalves header that slipped through the hands of Crew 'keeper Andy Gruenebaum in the 91st minute. Three minutes later, Diego ***undez sealed the Black & Gold's fate as he finished off the Revolution offensive spurred from Lee Nguyen's dispossessing of Federico Higua� - n 30 yards from goal.

"These goals weren't goals where they broke us down or anything like that," midfielder Wil Trapp said. "They were just kind of a set-piece and one was a bad giveaway. That's the most frustrating part, I'd say."

The Crew nearly went ahead from Ben Speas just moments before Goncalves' eventual winner, but the winger's attempt was just off the mark. The Black & Gold managed just two shots on goal all evening to help New England netminder Bobby Shuttleworth to his League-leading ninth shutout of 2013.

"It hurts," winger Ben Speas said after the match. "We were pushing. It felt like we had a good rhythm. It felt like we were the ones that were going to get [the winner]. Then, in the end, they end up sneaking it in. It's very frustrating and we'll do everything we can to fix it. We've got to keep attacking, creating those chances and put them away."

The loss drops the Crew to eighth place in the Eastern Conference following the Chicago Fire's 4-1 win on Saturday over D.C. United. Columbus will look to rebound next week as it travels to Toronto FC for the second match of the 2013 Trillium Cup Series presented by Scott's Lawn Care.

"We can't dwell on it, it's over now," Trapp said.

"All we have to do is try to pick up three points in the rest of our games, really. We have to move on and into the playoffs."

16. EPJr

Precourt Acquires Crew
    [​IMG]
    MLS Charter Member purchased from Hunt Sports Group

COLUMBUS – The Columbus Crew and Hunt Sports Group announced today that Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC has acquired the operating rights to the Crew. Hunt Sports Group has operated the Crew – Major League Soccer’s Charter Member – since 1996. Effective immediately, the Black & Gold become part of the privately held investment and management firm’s sports and entertainment business enterprise.

“Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC (PSV) is honored to become the new Investor-Operator of the Columbus Crew and thrilled to become a partner in Major League Soccer,” said Anthony Precourt, Managing Partner of PSV and the new Chairman of the Crew. “We have long believed in the ascension of soccer in the American sports-entertainment world, so stepping into a Charter Member of the League is an incredible moment. We thank the Hunt family for having the trust in us to become the Crew’s new steward. The Hunt family has done so much for MLS, and the development of the game in Ohio, and for that we thank them.

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/07/precourt-sports-ventures-acquires-columbus-crew

17. truebluefan

Crew can't find answer in Houston

On the ropes following two consecutive stoppage-time defeats, the Crew received another blow on Saturday night as it fell 3-1 to the Houston Dynamo.

A ninth-minute penalty whistled on veteran defender Chad Marshall set the tone for the evening as Brad Davis converted from the spot to open the scoring. Just past the half-hour mark, Oscar Boniek Garcia would carve the Crew backline to find Will Bruin in the box for the Dynamo's second tally before halftime.

Despite taking a 2-0 deficit into the break, the Crew had created a few chances in the first 45 minutes of play.

"We created chances, we could have scored the goals and obviously we didn't. [Houston] played well in the first half," Head Coach Robert Warzycha said. "They scored two goals and both goals were on turnovers."

The Black & Gold did show flashes of hope in second half as rookie Ryan Finley was subbed-on at halftime to provide a spark in the final third. Finley was at the center of the action when Kofi Sarkodie knocked the ball away from the rookie forward and past Dynamo 'keeper Tally Hall for an own goal to make it 2-1 in the 75th minute.

Despite multiple efforts from Finley and others in the attack, the Crew's fate was eventually sealed in the 85th minute when Cam Weaver drilled his shot into the upper corner of the net from the top of the box to make it 3-1.

Keeping positive after losing three matches in a row for the second time this season, the Black & Gold are confident they can dig themselves out of the rut they currently find themselves in. The Crew kicks off a two-game homestand next week against the New York Red Bulls.

"We have to stick together," forward Dominic Oduro said. "We really have to work as a team. That's the only way it's going to work."

Added Finley: "We've just got to keep our heads up. It's not a work-ethic thing at practice or anything like that. You're just kind of unlucky sometimes in this sport. I think the most important thing is that we've got to stay positive and we've got to stay strong in the locker room.

"Things will turn around eventually, I'm pretty sure of that."

18. truebluefan

Crew blank Red Bulls

On a night when the New York Red Bulls were missing their star Designated Player, the Columbus Crew saw their own will them to victory.

Federico Higuain enjoyed his latest impressive performance for the Crew on Saturday night, scoring a second-half brace to give Columbus an impressive 2-0 victory over a Red Bulls team missing injured forward Thierry Henry and suspended head coach Mike Petke at Crew Stadium. Higuain first converted a penalty kick in the 62nd minute before delicately chipping a shot over New York goalkeeper Luis Robles 14 minutes later.

The win over the Eastern Conference leaders was the Crew's first since a 1-0 triumph against the Portland Timbers on July 7 and gives them some hope as they try to climb back into the playoff picture. For New York, the loss snapped a four-game unbeaten run and could move them out of the top spot in the East depending upon how other games go on Saturday night.

The first half was largely devoid of chances, but Dominic Oduro was at the front and center of the few that were created. Oduro set up Bernardo Anor for an early shot that was sent wide, and also had a shot deflected by Roy Miller before Robles pounced on the ball in the 14th minute.

Robles also came up big on an opportunity nine minutes later. After Higuain whipped in a free kick from distance, Chad Marshall nicked it towards goal but Robles got down low to parry the shot away from danger.

The Crew continued to push in the second half and found the game's opener thanks to some fortuitous circumstances. Columbus earned a free kick in the 61st minute after Agustin Viana duped referee Allen Chapman into thinking he was fouled by Eric Alexander, and the ensuing set piece resulted in a penalty kick after Jamison Olave was controversially whistled for a shove in the 18-year box.

Higuain kicks it up a notch in second half vs. Red Bulls Higuain stepped up to take the spot kick and made no mistake, beating the stellar Robles with a shot down the middle.

The Red Bulls had an opportunity to find an equalizer, but Crew goalkeeper Matt Lampson did well to deny a Fabian Espindola header following a cross from Brandon Barklage in the 74th minute.

That save opened the door for Higuain to punctuate his performance with a beautiful game-winner two minutes later. Wil Trapp hit Higuain with a through ball behind the defense, and the Argentine veteran lofted the ball over an onrushing Robles to secure the three points for Columbus.

19. truebluefan

Crew Overmatched at Real Salt Lake

After back-to-back wins restored a sliver of playoff hope to Columbus, that hope took a hit Saturday night with a 4-0 loss on the road to Supporters' Shield leader Real Salt Lake.

The Claret and Cobalt's first tally came off a deflected free kick from the foot of Javier Morales and off Kyle Beckerman just before the halftime whistle. Devon Sandoval added another six minutes into the second half, while Luis Gil and Beckerman each tacked-on a goal within the final 10 minutes of the match to down the visiting Black & Gold.

"I think [Real Salt Lake] proved tonight why they're in first place, they're a good team," defender Josh Williams said after the loss. "We didn't really get on the ball, possession-wise. We just couldn't keep track of them. It seemed like their guys were running all over the place, they're a very offensive team.

"I just don't think we matched the intensity. We just got totally out-played."

The Crew still remains seven points out of a playoff position, unable to take advantage of the Houston Dynamo's 5-0 loss to the Montreal Impact with nine matches left to play in the 2013 Regular Season.

Making things more difficult, the Crew's Captain and playmaker, Federico HiguaÃ-n, received his fifth yellow card of the season during the first half of the loss to result in a one-match suspension. HiguaÃ-n's suspension could be longer than one match after he was sent off with a second yellow near the end of Saturday's match.

The Black & Gold will have to move on without their co-leading scorer as they welcome the Seattle Sounders and Houston Dynamo to Crew Stadium next week.

"We have two games coming up at home, it's a big loss to us," Head Coach Robert Warzycha admitted. "[HiguaÃ-n] is our engine. He's scoring goals.

"It's a big loss for us."

20. truebluefan

Crew Can't Take Advantage of 10-Man Seattle

Following a weather delay that lasted almost two hours, the stage was set for the Crew to rise to the occasion against Seattle Sounders FC in front of the 20,000-plus fans that entered Crew Stadium on Saturday night.

Coming out of the gates with smothering pressure on the Sounders FC backline, the Crew seemed to be on its way to a third-straight win at home when the Rave Green's Leo Gonzalez was sent off for denying Ryan Finley a scoring chance in the seventh minute. Though a man-down, the Sounders were able to draw a foul in a dangerous are just minutes after the red card.

On the impending restart, Eddie Johnson slipped past the Crew defense to head Mauro Rosales' service into the net past Matt Lampson in the 14th minute.

"[Johnson] is a U.S. Men's National Team player and when you have player of that caliber, he's not going to miss," Lampson said after the match. "He's going to make you pay.

"It was a good ball in from Rosales, unfortunately Johnson lost his mark and buried it."

Tough the Black & Gold would have 76 minutes to find an equalizer against a short-handed Seattle side, the Crew would ultimately rue several squandered chances as the Robert Warzycha's side fell to the visitors, 1-0.

"I think especially with playing a man up the entire game, really we had chances and that's the hardest thing to stomach, and when you can't put them away, we gave away three points at home," Lampson said of the defeat.

Added defender Chad Marshall: "It hurts, especially at home. To play pretty much the entire game a man-up and not being able to score, it's frustrating for sure."

The Crew faces a quick turnaround as it will host the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio).