The Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Like the pick a lot. Sure, he is a project and he probably will not be a factor next season. But his potential is very high for 14th pick, and he is not as raw as Jordan. At this point, I think it was a great gamble...

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 26 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Am I the only one who's happy here? Randolph is great value at 14. Hes a huge project, sure, but this draft fuggin BLOWS. We got a top talent here and as far as potential goes Randolph is probably top 5. He averaged 15.6/8.5/2.3 bpg as a 18 year old freshman. Very athletic and long. People compare him to Wright but IMO hes a SF. His handle is already pretty good for a guy his size, jumpshot needs work though his mid-range J is ok right now. He can rebound and block shots. Hes a big time project but I'm glad we got him.

eSPN profile:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36181</div>

the trouble is the warriors rarely develop players and keep them. even jrich lasted as long as he did and then he got traded. we needed to get someone who could play now imo.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Dammit, oh well. Time will tell. It always does...

So it looks like DeAndre Jordan and Darrell Arthur could be in free fall.

They're the only two guys sitting in the crowd.

Randolph could be a huge bust and we need guys who have potential to play right now and get better. I suppose you can't be picky at #14... Warriors fans were already split on who we should take. Some said Thompson, some said Kofous, some said Donte Green, some said CDR, some said Rush, it was just all over the place...

Randolph... man... Maybe we trade this guy for a proven star. Who knows... I just feel we can't spend time trying to develop all these guys... It's like we're drafting nothing but tooth picks when we need a force inside the paint.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason voorhees @ Jun 26 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>the trouble is the warriors rarely develop players and keep them. even jrich lasted as long as he did and then he got traded. we needed to get someone who could play now imo.</div>
    This draft is horrible. If you get someone who can "play now" they'll probably be career 10th men.

BTW I don't know if this was posted her ebut Nellie said a few days ago that Randolph would be the pick 100% if he was there:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"Star."

That was the one-word answer given by Golden State coach Don Nelson when asked about the future of Anthony Randolph, the slender power forward who a year ago was a 17-year-old wearing the cap-and-gown at Woodrow Wilson High School.

Actually, there may be one guarantee for the latest product of the DISD-NBA pipeline: As Golden State's Nelson said, if Randolph is still on the board at No. 14, the team picking 15th, Phoenix, can start looking elsewhere.</div>
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ph.23e17ad.html

Nellie likes him a lot obviously.

5. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

I love Hibbert, and hate that he's on the Raptors.

6. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jun 26 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I love Hibbert, and hate that he's on the Raptors.</div>

Hes getting shipped to the Pacers as soon as the proposed deal goes through

7. Run BJM

I'm looking over his measurements and maybe he wasn't lying whne he said he was deceptively strong to Steven A. Smith after he got drafted. 7 bench reps from a 197 lb guy with a 7'3 wingspan which is the same as Brook Lopez, OJ Mayo, Pat Calathes, etc.

Here's his whole measurements:

Height w/o shoes: 6'9

Height w/ shoes: 6'10.25

197 lbs.

Wingspan: 7'3

Standing Reach: 9'1

Body Fat %: 4.7

No Step vert: 29"

Max Vert: 35"

Bench Reps: 7

Lane Agility: 11.86

3/4 Court Sprint: 3.26

8. Run BJM

Wow Ike Diogu just got traded lol.

9. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Ike Diogu was just traded to the Blazers. I hope he gets a chance to revive himself, I'm still a fan. Just left to rot in Indiana, I still think he must have better abilities, he showed flashes.

10. Custodianrules2

I still believe in Ike. It was just a bummer how Nelly hates post players and then his teams get killed in rebounding and low post scoring. We need guys to eat up space in the lane and finish. Adding another toothpick who this time is a 3/4 tweener could mean bad news for us defensively and scoring in the paint in the halfcourt. So while only 1 guy can shoot the ball at a time and they don't really run plays to make a 5 man game useful, we're totally screwing up the fact that we have to have 5 guys play defense on the other end of the floor.

This sucks... I seriously hope we trade Randolph for somebody like Brand or somebody. I'll take Bogut if the Bucks want to give up on him too. We could have even used Jermaine O'neal if the Pacers wanted to trade with us again.

I suppose I shouldn't be this hostile towards our pick. It wasn't a bad pick. I just think it's not going to help us unless this guy really improves by leaps and bounds. He better be Monta Ellis type improvement or he'll be this guy that doesn't have range and will get pushed around constantly and we already have Wright to worry about. I don't even know how good Randolph's defense will be against small forwards... I just hope it's very much like 6'9 tweeners like Andrei Kirilenko or Tayshaun Prince where he could guard shooting guards or power forwards.

11. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    lol ike! who did he get traded for?

12. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Bayless and Diogu for Rush and Jack.

Wow, Indiana must have abandoned Diogu. After O'Neal trade, I thought Diogu will get some playing time due to think front court. But, I guess Diogu will be buried behind tall Portland front court players. I really don't get this trade though. Indiana got a steal on Bayless, and they probably need PG with Tinsley being Tinsley. But, they sent him for Jack and Rush? Are they giving a middle finger to Dunleavy as well?

BTW, Arthur, Greene, Jordan, and Koufus are falling. Good time to get extra first rounder...

13. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I would love to get Bogut CR2, O'neal I'm not so high on. So Randolph won't be helping us much this year, but this kid is so young, basically he just graduated from high school, so who knows. I know what you mean about too many projects though. Maybe Koufos could have stepped in and helped earlier, even though his upside is not as high. Well, Nellie and Mully are proving they like to gamble in the draft. Basically I think this draft neither helped nor hurt the Warriors much anyway. They still have the same issues and this was not a draft they were going to correct them all with, especially not at #14. So now let the trade talk continue...

14. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 26 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bayless and Diogu for Rush and Jack.

Wow, Indiana must have abandoned Diogu. After O'Neal trade, I thought Diogu will get some playing time due to think front court. But, I guess Diogu will be buried behind tall Portland front court players. I really don't get this trade though. Indiana got a steal on Bayless, and they probably need PG with Tinsley being Tinsley. But, they sent him for Jack and Rush? Are they giving a middle finger to Dunleavy as well?</div>

What!?? Indiana traded Bayless??? OMG, they just love making Western teams better. Either that or they have to try their hardest to make Dunleavy the de-facto star of the team. Or they just want to get the worst record next year so they can get the top 3 pick.

15. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HiRez @ Jun 26 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I would love to get Bogut CR2, O'neal I'm not so high on. So Randolph won't be helping us much this year, but this kid is so young, basically he just graduated from high school, so who knows. I know what you mean about too many projects though. Maybe Koufos could have stepped in and helped earlier, even though his upside is not as high. Well, Nellie and Mully are proving they like to gamble in the draft. Basically I think this draft neither helped nor hurt the Warriors much anyway. They still have the same issues and this was not a draft they were going to correct them all with, especially not at #14. So now let the trade talk continue...</div>

You're right you can't solve the problems via one draft. It's like a crapshoot and you have to be at the right spot and situation in order to capitalize. Man... we need a big man and some defense!

16. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 26 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bayless and Diogu for Rush and Jack.

Wow, Indiana must have abandoned Diogu. After O'Neal trade, I thought Diogu will get some playing time due to think front court. But, I guess Diogu will be buried behind tall Portland front court players. I really don't get this trade though. Indiana got a steal on Bayless, and they probably need PG with Tinsley being Tinsley. But, they sent him for Jack and Rush? Are they giving a middle finger to Dunleavy as well?</div>
    I dunno I think Portland could be a good situation for Ike. He'll be behind Oden and Aldridge for sure but he'll be playing next to Ode/ Przbylla who will cover up his rebounding/defense problems and dude can score with the best of them.

RYAN ANDERSON

17. Custodianrules2

Ryan Anderson!??? Ha ha ha wtf are these execs smoking. This is just one entertaining draft because some weird stuff is happening. It's like the Knicks taking Renaldo Balkman two years ago, it's like WTF???

The only consistent thing about this draft is that the Bobcats, Clippers, Sonics are blowing it as usual. Unless a top 3 pick falls in their lap, they're hopeless.

18. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 26 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>BTW, Arthur, Greene, Jordan, and Koufus are falling. Good time to get extra first rounder...</div>
    Screw that. This just means Hendrix will fall further and further. Find a way to snatch him in the second.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You're right you can't solve the problems via one draft. It's like a crapshoot and you have to be at the right spot and situation in order to capitalize. Man... we need a big man and some defense!</div>

This is my outlook. IMO with the draft you have to get the best value, especially in the late lotto. If you go for need then you end up passing on better players. If you go for NBA ready then in two years you're looking back saying "why the hell did we draft this guy when so and so is becoming an all-star now?" (i.e. Diogu over Granger)

19. Custodianrules2

Dude, Run, I'm down with Hendrix and Courtney Lee. I'm hoping we get a shot at them, but I'm expecting the worst.

Shan Foster is also a nice look.

20. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    i don't know, but it sounds like bayless dropped because he may have been perceived as a tweener. if he can be a starting pg in the nba, then no question portland got the better of the deal.