The Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Seattle's going for CDR. Who else plays shooting guard? Actually Donte Green is still available right? They could add another SF/PF to sit behind Jeff Green.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    i guess randolph was a good pick. the warriors will have length if not bulk up front in the future with randolph, ab and bw. we need a nice pg to run that core.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

We're always plotting ways for Mullin to get the Josh Smith's, Gerald Wallace's, Tayshuan Princes of the world. Those guys aren't easy to get though and they're all guys who started as raw, skinny, high risk/high potential players. This guy figures to be similar to them if he reaches his potential. Plus Nellie likes him and hes generally had a pretty good eye for talent.

4. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 26 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>We're always plotting ways for Mullin to get the Josh Smith's, Gerald Wallace's, Tayshuan Princes of the world. Those guys aren't easy to get though and they're all guys who started as raw, skinny, high risk/high potential players. This guy figures to be similar to them if he reaches his potential. Plus Nellie likes him and hes generally had a pretty good eye for talent.</div>

Actually Smith was a man child, but i know what you're saying. Randolph does have defensive potential and that is really important to have in a successful 3/4 matchup because if the scoring comes along, you don't have to worry about him being the defensive liability. Of course 3/4's like Peja and Rashard Lewis can get away with that mediocre D because how many guys shoot the 3 ball consistently and accurately. And I guess with Lamar Odom his specialty is that he's versatile (he'll probably play 3 or 4 positions) and is very skilled offensively because of his ballhandling and playmaking.

5. Run BJM

YESSSSSSSSSSS HENDRIX. I been pimping this guy for months, actually wanted him at 14 at one point.

I gbeen calling him the next Millsap/Craig Smith for a while so theres al ot of pressure on me with this pick. This is a FUGGIN GREAT pick though. 260 lbs, good rebounder, physical, averaged over 17 ppg on 60% shooting.

6. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I absolutely love the Hendrix pick. The Warriors need someone that can receive the ball in the post and score.

Of course, I'm not sure how much Nellie will use him

7. Custodianrules2

Hendrix was a good pick. So far I rate this a good draft. Mullin played it right. He went for BAP and he pulled a possible steal in the 2nd round.

8. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jun 26 2008, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hendrix was a good pick. So far I rate this a good draft. Mullin played it right. He went for BAP and he pulled a possible steal in the 2nd round.</div>
    Agree I think Mullin did as good as he could have with this draft. First pick was a great value a guy who could be the next Josh Smith, Rudy Gay, Tayshaun Prince, Gerald Wallace, etc. Hes a long ways off but who else would have helped us there anyway?

In the second we get a 6'7-6'8 250 pounder with a 7'3 wingspan. Averaged 17.8 ppg on 60% FGs and this was facing constant double and triple teams. 10.1 rpg and 2 bpg. The knock on him was that he wasn't explosive but this is interesting:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>-Richard Hendrix is faster than he looks?

Although he measured out just a hair under 6-7 without shoes, Richard Hendrix posted solid numbers across the board in virtually every category. His 7-3 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach are both very good for a typical NBA power forward, and his lane agility time (10.62) ranked as the 3rd best figure amongst all players in Orlando, and is the 18th best of all time. In case you were wondering, there are multiple people timing the players as they run through the various drills, and the group convenes after each player and compares scores. </div>
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/What-W...d-Combine-2913/

9. Custodianrules2

Maybe Mullin's real strength in drafting is his 2nd round pick ability. [​IMG]

Dang, Nets made out like a bandit... I give them an A rating. They get Brook Lopez, CDR, and a power forward who could be of help if Yi can't deliver.

10. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

These are two interesting picks. I wouldn't be surprised if Harrington is traded after this draft, especially. I mean before the draft the Warriors had Al and Wright at PF with possibly POB (or maybe he's a goner by now - and is Austin Croshere gone as well?). But with these two picks I see Harrington as much more expendable and I wouldn't be surprised to see Harrington dealt. I'd like to see him dealt for a PG backup to Baron.

But first I guess my question is - does anybody know what position Randolph is going to be? I am thinking he would be a PF on this team. But that is only after looking at his physical attributes and some of his stats.

Hopefully Hendrix can provide some production as well.

I think the biggest thing lacking the Warriors last season was production off the bench. I was hoping the Warriors could get some players from the draft who could bring something off the bench, since I am not sure if they can get much through free agency if they are going strong after going to spend a lot on Biedrins and Ellis. Hopefully these two can bring something. But if this was a potential pick, then considering the strength of this draft class, I guess that isn't so bad either.

11. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    if hendrix can play guitar, then we're all set [​IMG].

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, too bad I got home super late and missed all the draft/post draft trade fun, but what a weird draft. Poor Darrell Arthur got traded three times already, among other crazy trades.

I've got huge question marks about Randolph, but I basically did not like any players the W's could pick at this spot. Looking at the draft board and what was available, I think the W's picked the best player they could at this spot in this draft. Honestly I don't think the W's would even get good value trying to trade this pick no matter who they selected, and I'm glad to they didn't decide to give up too much to trade to get other picks or players out of this draft, like it looks how some other teams overbit on the hype of some of these guys.

Like everyone else, I love Hendrix. What's not to love about a guy that hustles with good fundamentals? I hope that he gets some playing time, though, that's the biggest concern.

13. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jun 26 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But first I guess my question is - does anybody know what position Randolph is going to be? I am thinking he would be a PF on this team. But that is only after looking at his physical attributes and some of his stats.

Hopefully Hendrix can provide some production as well.

I think the biggest thing lacking the Warriors last season was production off the bench. I was hoping the Warriors could get some players from the draft who could bring something off the bench, since I am not sure if they can get much through free agency if they are going strong after going to spend a lot on Biedrins and Ellis. Hopefully these two can bring something. But if this was a potential pick, then considering the strength of this draft class, I guess that isn't so bad either.</div>
    IMO Randolph is much more of a SF. The one thing that impresses me most about him right now is his handle. Hes very fluid with the handle, can get to the rim, and seems to enjoy getting the rebound and taking it up the floor himself. He doesn't play much of an inside game either. He does do well on the glass but for the most part his game on offense is in the mid-high post when he doesn't have the ball. Hes a long ways off but I'd say he'd be more of an SF than PF but certainly capable of either.

I don't think he'll contribute meaningful minutes next year though. I think Hendrix can and will though. Dudes ready to go right now, very physical, nice rebounder, got 2 bpg in college, very mobile for his size and can finish. If he brings the energy and does well against bigger frontlines I think he'll definitely be a contributor this season.

Here's a link to all the SEC games from this past season:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegebroadcast/teams/jps

Hendrix dominates the LSU @ Alabama game on Feb 2 if you want to see him do really well that's the only one I've seen but I'm sure you can go through their game logs and find a couple of good games from these guys to see what they're capable of.

14. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

You couldn't draw up a better player for Nelson's system:

-- Big man who can run the floor? Check.
    -- Big man who can shoot from the perimeter? Check.
    -- Athletic and plays multiple positions? Check.
    -- Underweight at his most natural position? Check.
    -- Questionable shot selection? Check.
    -- Poor freethrow shooter? Check.
    -- Limited defensively? Check.

I like the pick at 14, why not take a chance there? You remember the Twin Towers? Well now we have the Twin Toothpicks. Clif mentioned that it makes a Harrington trade more likely, I think that's probably true, although it also could mean they're packaging Wright and replacing him with a carbon copy.

One thing that gives me hope is that now that Memphis got O.J. Mayo, I think they'll be less likely to offer Monta a crazy max deal, something many here, myself included, were afraid of.

15. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    i'd give randolph some time. he's only what 18 now. if he pans out, in 2 - 3 years, we'll have randolph (also think he's a sf like tayshaun prince), biedrins and wright. that's a tall, fast and mobile front line. i know you guys want size and muscle but these guys could be gazelles in the front court. other teams will have trouble keeping up.

back to randolph, i like him because he's got a mid-range game. it would be better if he can shoot the 3 if he's gonna play sf, but he may be able to extend if his fundamentals are right. he'll have a good teacher in mullin if he's slotted for the sf position as i think he is.

16. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

So does Randolph have the potential to be like AK47? I see from his stats that he did average 2 blocks and a steal, which is probably not AK47 level, but it sounds as if they have similar body types, athleticism, and abilities. From the Yahoo video, I kind of like what I saw in that he was really smooth at getting to the hoop and he is really good at getting vertical and making shots near the basket. These are a couple of things that I like about him more than what I have seen from Al Harrington. But his passing numbers and a lack of passing shown in that video I just saw, is just like Harrington though. A 1-3 assists to turnover ratio is not very good for a future SF.

17. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jun 27 2008, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So does Randolph have the potential to be like AK47? I see from his stats that he did average 2 blocks and a steal, which is probably not AK47 level, but it sounds as if they have similar body types, athleticism, and abilities. From the Yahoo video, I kind of like what I saw in that he was really smooth at getting to the hoop and he is really good at getting vertical and making shots near the basket. These are a couple of things that I like about him more than what I have seen from Al Harrington. But his passing numbers and a lack of passing shown in that video I just saw, is just like Harrington though. A 1-3 assists to turnover ratio is not very good for a future SF.</div>
    Its really hard to project what kind of player he'll be because hes so raw right now. All I know is right now hes got a very nice handle. He could end up being a good offensive player, borderline all-star, but crappy defense like Lamar Odom. Could end up being a great role player like Tayshaun Prince. Could end up like AK47, Travis Outlaw, Josh Smith, Jonathan Bender, Gerald Wallace, etc., etc. Or he could Ndudi Ebi. I don't think he'll play much at all this season but we'll probably get a better sense of what kind of player he is once he gets minutes in the NBA.

18. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

I'm getting concerned that every report I look at about him compares his game to Brandan Wright. If he's going to turn out like the player I hope he will, he'll be nothing like Wright. Wright should develop into a post threat and, hopefully, Randolph will eventually become a wing.

19. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I checked Randolph's Youtubes to see what kind of player and defensive prowess he has. He can definitely play some D because he goes up against the biggest player on the opposing team and can block shots. I think Nellie gives him some minutes because of his point forward ability:

On Draft Day

AR Mix

NBA Draft Prospect

Horse's Mouth

20. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryan @ Jun 27 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm getting concerned that every report I look at about him compares his game to Brandan Wright. If he's going to turn out like the player I hope he will, he'll be nothing like Wright. Wright should develop into a post threat and, hopefully, Randolph will eventually become a wing.</div>

Same bodies, different skills, I think.

I wouldn't worry. Both were drafted for their different abilities, although they share a similar skinny body type look with the shotblocking, ballhandling, rebounding, passing potential. Wright is supposed to be a really polished post player who scores with his back to the basket and likes to go inside. Randolph is supposed to be a small forward type that has some ability to post up, but it's not really his bread and butter since he's better facing up or driving the lane. That's from what I've gathered. Otherwise, you'd get two completely different nba comparisons. Wright is supposed to be like Chris Bosh/Shareef Abdur Rahim while Randolph is said to be more like Lamar Odom or Tayshaun Prince probably because of superior ballhandling and some guard skills. Seriously, how many times do we see Lamar Odom really post up? He can, but he prefers to attack with the ball. Meanwhile Bosh/Rahim can really mix it up inside and out with post up skills and a jump shot. So that leads to me believe that they'll have two completely separate roles even though their bodies appear to be the same type. They just play so differently although they have a lot of the same strengths like rebounding/shotblocking and finesse.