The Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

If you look at the pure measurement, you may think Randolph is Wright's brother.

..............................Randolph.......Wright............Hendrix

Height with Shoes....6' 10.25".........6'10"..............6'7.75"

Weight....................197.................200................250

Wingspan................7'3"................7'3.75"............7'3"

Standing Reach........9'1"................9'0.5".............9'0"

Body Fat..................4.7..................5.8................9.2

No Step Vert............29...................30.5..............26.5

Max Vert.................35....................35.5...............28

Bench Press...............7....................2.................13

Lane Agility.............11.86................11.76...........10.62

3/4 court sprint........3.26.................3.31..............3.27

According to the draft measurement, they both have almost same body/athleticism. But, at least from the highlight, Randolph play like 3/4, and Wright plays 4. So, I don't think Randolph is a replica of Wright, and there is a chance that they may coexist. If we can put Randolph/Wright/Biedrins line up, that would be a long and skinny front court you may ever see. And wow on Hendrix's wingspan. He is more than two feet shorter than Wright, but he has almost same wingspan as Wright. And, we know how long Wright's arm is. I always never put a big hope on 2nd rounder, but at least Hendrix has some tool to be a NBA player.

I wonder who would Mullin draft if Randolph didn't fall on his lap. When I saw Mullin's interview, I don't think he expected Randolph to be available at 14th at all...

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jun 27 2008, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, too bad I got home super late and missed all the draft/post draft trade fun, but what a weird draft. Poor Darrell Arthur got traded three times already, among other crazy trades.

I've got huge question marks about Randolph, but I basically did not like any players the W's could pick at this spot. Looking at the draft board and what was available, I think the W's picked the best player they could at this spot in this draft. Honestly I don't think the W's would even get good value trying to trade this pick no matter who they selected, and I'm glad to they didn't decide to give up too much to trade to get other picks or players out of this draft, like it looks how some other teams overbit on the hype of some of these guys.

Like everyone else, I love Hendrix. What's not to love about a guy that hustles with good fundamentals? I hope that he gets some playing time, though, that's the biggest concern.</div>

I like AR's attitude, his ball handling skills for a big man, mid-range shooting, rebounding, penchant for blocking shots, motor and athleticism. I believe him when he says he's strong if not bulky muscular. He's not a finished product, but I think Nellie will give him some PT. He may even give AR more playing time than Brandon Wright. Yeah, he may be turnover prone and he's going to have some poor shooting games, but it sounds like there is talent there. AR's not a sure thing to become an all-star, but he should be solid in the NBA. I think he'll be able to start eventually for the Warriors like Wright will be able to.

And yeah, I read the draft reviews and it's been mixed on AR, but I'm not so concerned about that.
    Chad Ford: A-
    Tony Meija: B-
    SI: C

The other thing I've heard is that it was a weak draft so getting AR at #14 when he was projected to go higher was a steal. He's not going to be a bust.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you look at the pure measurement, you may think Randolph is Wright's brother.

..............................Randolph.......Wright...........Hendrix

According to the draft measurement, they both have almost same body/athleticism. But, at least from the highlight, Randolph play like 3/4, and Wright plays 4. So, I don't think Randolph is a replica of Wright, and there is a chance that they may coexist. If we can put Randolph/Wright/Biedrins line up, that would be a long and skinny front court you may ever see. And wow on Hendrix's wingspan. He is more than two feet shorter than Wright, but he has almost same wingspan as Wright. And, we know how long Wright's arm is. I always never put a big hope on 2nd rounder, but at least Hendrix has some tool to be a NBA player.

I wonder who would Mullin draft if Randolph didn't fall on his lap. When I saw Mullin's interview, I don't think he expected Randolph to be available at 14th at all...</div>
    Great post. Now let me add to your chart:

..............................Randolph.......Wright............Durant...........
    .Hendrix

Height with Shoes....6' 10.25".........6'10"..............6'10.25...........6'7.75"

Weight....................197.................200.................215...........

Wingspan................7'3"................7'3.75"............7'4.75.............7'3"

Standing Reach........9'1"................9'0.5"..............9'2.................9'0"

Body Fat..................4.7..................5.8................6.6................

No Step Vert............29...................30.5...............26.................26.5

Max Vert.................35....................35.5..............33.5...............

Bench Press...............7....................2...................0..................

Lane Agility.............11.86................11.76...........12.33............10.62

3/4 court sprint........3.26.................3.31..............3.45..............3.27

Been watching more of LSU and Randolph's game is certainly different than Wright's. Wright lived in the paint and was basically a pure big at UNC and still is today. Wright is in the mix a lot more alters a ton more shots, rebounds a lot more, his defense is a lot better and he does seem to be a more explosive leaper (as the no-step vert stat indicates- this is a measurements that is underrated IMO because it gives you an idea of how easily they can get off the ground which is important in the league). Randolph hangs out a lot more in the mid-post and perimeter, he isn't a real presence in there defensively and his blocks come out of nowhere whereas Wright is a constant presence. Wright also has a much much more advanced inside game, more fundamental moves and significantly better footwork. Randolph is very raw and its true that hes going off of instincts because he lacks fundamentals as far as scoring moves, rebounding position, defense, etc.

Again the one thing that I think Randolph is NBA ready with is his handle. Hes extremely fluid handling the ball and rarely gets bothered even with tiny guards poking at him constantly. I've seen him initiate the break himself, dribble fluidly up the floor and make the right pass at the right time on several occasions (seems like he never tries to finish it himself when hes initiating the break). His first step is fantastic as well even despite defenders trying to entice him to take a jumpshot which is a product if his quickness at his size as well as his comfort in handling the ball. His jumpshot needs a ton of work though. He misses all over the place- too strong, too short, off on either side, etc. He doesn't have a consistent jumper even at mid-range but if he does ever get at least an 18 foot mid-range J a la Monta or Travis outlaw he'd be a terror from the triple threat position. Also one thing I've noticed he does extremely well is follow his shots, there are a lot of times he'll put up tough shots and run right after it, get the rebound and put in an easy layup.

So all in all, Randolph figures to be an SF to me. He doesn't live in the paint and his motor in there isn't on par with a guy like Wright who affects every shot down low. He doesn't have great rebounding instincts either. On offense he loves to create from about 16 feet from the triple threat position where he either takes a jumper that probably won't go in or gets to the rim anyway because hes so quick and fluid. He does post up somewhat often but he doesn't have fundamentals down there, just kind of makes up moves as he goes and throws up awkward shots. Hes a long ways off from contributing and less polished than Wright coming in (hes also only 18 though, how many 18/19 year olds are there playing significant minutes in the NBA?) but I like his tools and I think Tayshaun Prince is a realistic comparison for him.

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you look at the pure measurement, you may think Randolph is Wright's brother.

..............................Randolph.......Wright............Hendrix

I wonder who would Mullin draft if Randolph didn't fall on his lap. When I saw Mullin's interview, I don't think he expected Randolph to be available at 14th at all...</div>

That is interesting. If we count in Patrick O'Bryant, and perhaps even Kosta and Biedrins (though I should really check on those two), it seems to me that Chris Mullin loves mobile bigs with large wingspans. I think even Ike Diogu (who may not have been Mullin's pick) had a huge wingspan.

This is off topic, but I think POB is still only 22 or so; should the Warrior give him another shot with the team, or is he gone?

5. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 28 2008, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you look at the pure measurement, you may think Randolph is Wright's brother.

..............................Randolph.......Wright...........Hendrix

Great post. Now let me add to your chart:

..............................Randolph.......Wright............Durant...........
    .Hendrix

Height with Shoes....6' 10.25".........6'10"..............6'10.25...........6'7.75"

Weight....................197.................200.................215...........

Wingspan................7'3"................7'3.75"............7'4.75.............7'3"

Standing Reach........9'1"................9'0.5"..............9'2.................9'0"

Body Fat..................4.7..................5.8................6.6................

No Step Vert............29...................30.5...............26.................26.5

Max Vert.................35....................35.5..............33.5...............

Bench Press...............7....................2...................0..................

Lane Agility.............11.86................11.76...........12.33............10.62

3/4 court sprint........3.26.................3.31..............3.45..............3.27

Been watching more of LSU and Randolph's game is certainly different than Wright's. Wright lived in the paint and was basically a pure big at UNC and still is today. Wright is in the mix a lot more alters a ton more shots, rebounds a lot more, his defense is a lot better and he does seem to be a more explosive leaper (as the no-step vert stat indicates- this is a measurements that is underrated IMO because it gives you an idea of how easily they can get off the ground which is important in the league). Randolph hangs out a lot more in the mid-post and perimeter, he isn't a real presence in there defensively and his blocks come out of nowhere whereas Wright is a constant presence. Wright also has a much much more advanced inside game, more fundamental moves and significantly better footwork. Randolph is very raw and its true that hes going off of instincts because he lacks fundamentals as far as scoring moves, rebounding position, defense, etc.

Again the one thing that I think Randolph is NBA ready with is his handle. Hes extremely fluid handling the ball and rarely gets bothered even with tiny guards poking at him constantly. I've seen him initiate the break himself, dribble fluidly up the floor and make the right pass at the right time on several occasions (seems like he never tries to finish it himself when hes initiating the break). His first step is fantastic as well even despite defenders trying to entice him to take a jumpshot which is a product if his quickness at his size as well as his comfort in handling the ball. His jumpshot needs a ton of work though. He misses all over the place- too strong, too short, off on either side, etc. He doesn't have a consistent jumper even at mid-range but if he does ever get at least an 18 foot mid-range J a la Monta or Travis outlaw he'd be a terror from the triple threat position. Also one thing I've noticed he does extremely well is follow his shots, there are a lot of times he'll put up tough shots and run right after it, get the rebound and put in an easy layup.

So all in all, Randolph figures to be an SF to me. He doesn't live in the paint and his motor in there isn't on par with a guy like Wright who affects every shot down low. He doesn't have great rebounding instincts either. On offense he loves to create from about 16 feet from the triple threat position where he either takes a jumper that probably won't go in or gets to the rim anyway because hes so quick and fluid. He does post up somewhat often but he doesn't have fundamentals down there, just kind of makes up moves as he goes and throws up awkward shots. Hes a long ways off from contributing and less polished than Wright coming in (hes also only 18 though, how many 18/19 year olds are there playing significant minutes in the NBA?) but I like his tools and I think Tayshaun Prince is a realistic comparison for him.
    </div>

He seems to have decent ball handling skills. But he must be a bad passer or maybe he was on a bad team, maybe he go a bit too out of control at times because he only averaged about 1.1 or 1.2 assists per game compared to 3.0 or so turnovers per game. That does not look so great. But I'd love to see more of a passing SF on the team along with the things Randolph seems to bring. So if he can clean up his assist to turnover ratio, I'd like to see him get some PT. We all know that Al Harrington doesn't pass, and for Jackson it depends on his mood. So another passer on the court and someone to penetrate to the hoop like I have seen from Randolph in highlights would be great for the team.