The Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Custodianrules2, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If you were managing the Charlotte Bobcats or let's say the bobcats didn't exist and you wanted to create your own team this year, who would you select in the available draft and expansion draft?

I'd go:

Shaun Livingston as Franchise player

c - Vladimir Stepania
    pf - Curtis Borchardt or Antoine Walker
    sf - Antoine Walker or Jumaine Jones
    sg - Qyntel Woods
    pg - Shaun Livingston

Bench:

pg - (Troy Bell or Chucky Atkins or Eddie House) or Jamison Brewer or Juan Dixon
    sg - Alexsandar Pavlocic / Deshawn Stevenson
    sf - James Jones or Gerald Wallace
    pf - ZaZa Pachulia / Jahidi White / Primoz Brezec
    c - Peja Drobnjak / Vitaly Potepenko

I think most of the players above are under 3 years contract and aren't that much except for Antoine Walker and Jahidi White. I threw in Borchardt because I think he is actually going to be healthy this year. He's a Raef La Frentz type player. I also got Stepania for putbacks and offensive rebounds. And outside shooter and go to guy in Antoine Walker, a tough defender and decent shooter in Jumaine Jones, a player with a lot of potential in Qyntel woods, and Shaun Livingston to carry the load in being able to make everyone better around him.

Off the bench will be some sort of scoring point guard that can play d for when you need quickness over size.

An athletic guard that can break down a defender one on one. Two possible physical low post type power forwards and one that has a great shooting touch. All three could play some center.

Two possible small forwards that have a lot of potential.

The roster is missing some shotblocking, but I couldn't find any good shotblockers that actually know where to position themselves for the rebound.

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I thought about this a bit. I probably would have made a lot of similar selections as you did, although I still would have drafted Okafor or Howard.

Either that, or I would have drastically went the other way - to sign only a few young players or expiring contracts such as the current Bobcats did, but even less of them. Their cap limitations are so restrictive that it's tough to work within their first few years. In all honesty, I'd rather throw a NBDL all-star team out there and gather one or two high draft picks and pick out the gems from those young players that did work in the NBA, and then totally restart from there, with cap room to sign an established free agent or two.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Yeah kind of like Minnesota did with Kevin Garnett.