OT The flu has killed 84 kids since October

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Natebishop3, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    It’s also s problem I have . But that doesn’t mean throw the baby out with the bath water. We will not find a fix-all solution. In fact, most solutions will also have deleterious effects. But that doesn’t mean we don’t try best as we can fo limit the pitfalls and mitigate the ill-effects.

You want to get from home to work but the solution of driving could kill you. Yet we limit the negative side effect by having laws on how to drive -double yellow lines... so you can still get to work by driving.

We can have psychological challenges be something that can occur. We can say if someone seeks help they bypass being blocked from purchasing unless thrir doctor affirmatively states otherwise. There are protections but the pro gun folks need to step of the “no rule ever” dogma.

2. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Huh

3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Thankfully, they are not in power at this time.

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The ones that are in power are probably bout to raise the cost of flu shots 200%

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I am all for getting the flu shot, especially as a teacher who works around a germ mine field. I got my son a shot too. It does help.

6. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

From free to 200% more free?

MARIS61 and Chris Craig like this.
  7. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I listen to doctors and nurses and medical professionals when it comes to health. I’m crazy like that. And science.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. Chris Craig

I hope it stays that way

9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

You have to be careful with that. "Medical science" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

DaLincolnJones, MARIS61 and MarAzul like this.
  10. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I work in healthcare. I have a real hard time with anyone doubting the flu shot. It’s dumb

11. BrianFromWA

That's fair. Do you also have a problem with people who don't want to take statins? Or people who say "no thanks, I won't eat margarine like you tell me too, I'm going to stick with butter?" Or many of the concepts in the book "Farmacology?"

I'm not saying to not get the flu shot. I'm saying that there no way on God's Green Earth I'm going to willy-nilly "listen to doctors and nurses and medical professionals" about anything. I think you have to be careful with that.

12. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I think you have to be far more careful to not listen to professionals. That seems crazy to me. Maybe you got burned by a bad doctor or something. If the vast, vast majority of doctors and healthcare professionals say get a flu shot and it factually also helps you either perhaps not get the flu or helps you have reduced symptoms...you get the shot. And flu is spread. So someone who decides they are smarter than doctors can impact other people. Whether you eat butter or margarine means nothing to me.

13. BrianFromWA

I am smarter than most doctors, but that's beside the point. The vast majority of doctors say get a flu shot. The vast majority of doctors also prescribe statins for high cholesterol. Every Navy doctor I've had a checkup with in the last 3 years gives me a downcheck for eating a ketogenic diet because I'm eating more fats than the food pyramid says and not enough processed carbohydrates. Nevermind that my BP and RHR is down, that I've lost a decent amount of weight at 40, that I still maintain Outstanding on my physical fitness tests. My wife kept getting prescribed heavier and heavier doses of really messed-up medication for migraines, until through my own research we found that it was likely a hormonal and dietetic imbalance and got her fixed.

I don't have a problem with the concept that you "have to be far more careful not to listen to professionals". I am very careful when it comes to my health and my family's.

jonnyboy likes this.
  14. jonnyboy

Blanket statement dude. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for people to avoid the flu shot. There ARE complications that can occur and they really aren't that rare. If someone feels the risk of complications outweighs their risk of a flu death (which is actually rarer than complications) then they are entitled to make that choice, and they aren't morons for doing so. There are plenty of doctors and scientists on both sides of the argument.

15. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

My wife is suffering from the same thing and the meds the VA tries to pump into her have scary warning labels. You wouldnt mind PMing me some research bro?

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    So let's do away with all laws because bad people are gonna break them anyway. Stupid argument. We have laws about driving. You need a license, you need to wear a seat belt, you can't drive drunk. Why not have laws about guns?

17. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

There are no legitimate reasons for me or my family to not get the flu shot. I do not know anyone to have had adverse reactions.

18. jonnyboy

That's perfectly fair. Your anectdotal evidence is just as legit as someone who has had adverse effects or knows someone who has. Stick with what works for you. Some people vaccinate, some people supplement, some people run around with masks and hand sanitizer. Nobody needs to be ostracized for choosing or not choosing any of these methods.

19. rasheedfan2005

There are a ton of laws with guns.

20. rasheedfan2005

My problem with hand sanitizer is it kills all bacteria and some bacteria is actually beneficial to you. Ive often wondered if we are low on some kind of bacteria that supresses cancer.