The Future of Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Ice, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SupraJames:</div><div class="quote_post"> My prediction of the Lakers' starting 5 next year: D-Fish, Kobe, George, (a new PF here, don't know who) and a new center here too besides Shaq. Also, Phil Jackson will take a break from coaching after he wins this year's ring.</div>

If Shaq were to be traded it won't be for anyone less than one all-star and a very good starter. If Shaq were to be traded I don't think you would see Fisher or George ( one of the two ) as starters either, because I'm sure they'd want a PG or SF thrown into a Shaq trade.

2. rjnavarrete

rjnavarrete BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting twofive:</div><div class="quote_post">Man, I bet you that if TMAC gpes to the Spurs they will win the next 4 championships. But, if Kobe goes to the Clippers like the rumor is he will make that team alot better. You got to remember the Clippers would have Elton Brand, Kobe, Chris Wilcox, Corey Maggette, Quentin Richardson, Marko Jaric, Keyon Dooling, and of course Chris Kaman</div>Your av is too big... Remove it before the mods see it!

3. Jordan-esque

Jordan-esque JBB JustBBall Member

Personally, I am so fed up with all this T-Mac talk goin around the news. He complains that the reason why he wants to leave Orlando is because he doesn't want to wait for a guy like Okafor (whom the Magics will probably get) or a Dwight Howard to develop. T-Mac's saying he wants to win NOW.

That's fine and dandy with me, co'z it just proves that T-Mac is NOT a leader. T-Mac doesn't know HOW to WIN. He doesn't want to wait. He doesn't want to go through the process like Michael, Kobe and Garnett did. He always wants it <u>NOW</u> or Never. That is why he left his cousin Vince Carter in a hurry, just to be the number one option NOW. That is also the same reason why he wants to leave Orlando because he wants to win a championship NOW.

Forget that he was an MVP candidate last season for the Magics. Forget that he almost took the Magics out into the second round of the playoffs for the first time last year, where they had a 3-1 series lead over Detroit. But thanks to a leader like T-Mac who, YET AGAIN, opened his BIG MOUTH too soon saying he can't wait to go head to head with AI and the Sixers in the next round. Hence, the Pistons got ticked and won 3 straight, eliminating the Magics and their cokcy so-called leader T-Mac. But forget all those accomplishments. Throw those all away. Being an MVP candidate and playoff contender means nothing. It all means nothing just after one lousy season.

When the 2003-2004 season rolled, what did T-Mac do? He kept blaming his teammates for loosing 19 straight, and that he wished to retire from basketball rather than go through with it. Then he QUITS on his teammates, he QUITS his season early. Didn't even finish the regular season so that he won't have to embarrass himself anymore. Looser.

Let's look at Kobe. A guy like Kobe wanted to be the main guy, the number one option as well, yet he wanted to also win championships. Yet Kobe knew well enough that he couldn't win a championship without Shaq, as he has been stating all along even at a SLAM article 3 seasons ago. But Kobe was smart and patient, he said that his time to shine will come very soon, and guess what? It did. Not only is Kobe now the main catalyst of the Laker's offense, but he also has 3 rings to go along with it. Importantly he's shown leadership towards his teammates, especially the last couple of seasons. Kobe has earned the respect of veteran HOF's like Malone and Payton. You don't get to see a lot of 18 year-pro Hall of Famer veterans following a 25 year old's instructions.

Let's look at Jordan. It took MJ only 4 years AFTER the Bulls drafted a rookie named Scottie Pippen to win a championship. MJ was 27 when he won his first, yet he was always patient. He knew he could take the Bulls somewhere. He wasn't in a hurry to jump ship just to win a championship NOW. MJ had PRIDE, he didn't want to QUIT. He wanted to CARRY the Bulls; He wanted to <u>BE</u> the Bulls, he didn't want just any other team. Why? Because Jordan had LEADERSHIP. Jordan made his Bulls into what they are: a DYNASTY.

I can use a lot more examples. Look at Paul Pierce, you don't see him complaining that he wants more people built around him or that he'd asked to get traded. You'd think he would, when his last couple season has been frustrating, especially since he made it so far into the ECF two seasons ago. McGrady on the other hand has only taken the Magics into first round of the play-offs and now he's already disatisfied.

Better yet, look at Kevin Garnett. My gawd this guy has never made into the second round for 7 years straight. But that didn't stop him. He didn't asked to be traded, on the contrary he signed another long term deal with a little paycut, and stuck to his team, and look at him now - Western Conference Finals, and the season's MVP. He is the definition of perseverance.

You won't see T-Mac do these kinds of things. McGrady took himself and his Magics somewhere far last season (in his standards), even MVP candidation. Yet, it only took one lousy season for him to decide he wants to go to another team.

Guys like KG and Pierce deserve a lot of credit for sticking to their team for years and years and years, time and time again, and not simply quitting when something goes bad.

McGrady's only 24, yet he thinks (and TALKS) like he's going on 39 playing with the Magics for 18 long years and still no progress. McGrady thinks the world revolves around him. If McGrady wants to be the number one option, all he has to do is just quit his team and go to another. After he gets sick of being the number 1 option, and decides he wants to start winning rings, guess what he does? He quits his team and goes to another! That is what McGrady is = a QUITTER. What's next? He decides he wants to be on the NBA Defensive team? So he'll quit his current team yet again, and go to a team like Detroit to make him look good? Hell, he might brake Jim Jackson's record for "most teams played" if he keeps doing it at ths rate.

McGrady has no leadership, plus he's a quitter. He wants everything to be convenient for him, and no one else but him.

Bottom line: McGrady doesn't WORK for what he's getting, he just goes to where it's WORKING. T-Mac shouldn't even be asking to get traded, it's his Team that should be the ones asking to trade him. T-Mac won't have a bright future if he keeps this up.

4. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

Jordan-esque , how about a little grammer lesson , it is the Magic not the MagicS.

I agree with a lot of what you say T-Mac is not a leader, he makes Jerry Stackhouse look like a leader. HAHAHAHAHA. He gave up on his teammates and should get slapped for doing that. I mean he just stopped playing and went on the IL. he talks a lot and does a little while crying a lot. How about we call him T-DoLittle or T-McBaby . HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

But on the other hand I disagree that he doesnt work on his game, because obviously he had to work hard enough for us to talk about him. What amzes me is that he is the most talented player in NBA history and is letting it go to waste. What he lacks is that will and inner strength of Mike Jordan, Kobe Bryant and the other great ones. Tracy is a better shooter than Kobe, a better ball handler than Kobe , a better passer than Kobe, a better shotblocker than Kobe, and most of all bigger and stronger than Kobe. But bottom line is Kobe is ten times better than T-Mac because of his inner strength .

5. Jordan-esque

I'm not saying he doesn't work on his game, because HE DOES!!! He's one of the best <u>offensive</u> players out there, but that's it.

I'm saying he doesn't work to make his ball club a winner, which guys like MJ and KG did. He quits too easily. Instead, he's now looking for a trade to a ball club that has things already working. He just doesn't know HOW to win.

6. mikeisme713

mikeisme713 JBB JustBBall Member

Where did you get this source? I just read in the Orlando Sentinel that he wants Houston for his first choice. He doesnt even have SA or LA in mind.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Lakers4ever:</div><div class="quote_post">Tracy McGrady stated he's "90% sure what he's going to do," adding that there are two teams ? the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs ? that he would like to play for if he decides to leave Orlando.

Spurs have a chance of signing T-Mac, but I can't see a way of the Lakers signing him unless Kobe was to leave. Most Laker fans don't want to see Kobe leave and I highly doubt Kobe will leave, which only means the Spurs will be stronger than the Lakers next season, if they were to aquire T-Mac. The Lakers must do something to stop San Antone from signing T-Mac or they won't be seeing a championship anytime after they win the 2003-04 NBA season championship. My theory is if Kobe was to go onto another team other than the Spurs, the Lakers will have enough money to aquire T-Mac and stand a chance of winning next season, if they don't aquire T-Mac and San Antone get him than the Lakers are going to have it real tough next season.</div>

7. Jordan-esque

I'm not saying he doesn't work on his game, because HE DOES!!! That's without a doubt! I don't question that. He's one of the best offensive players out there, but that's it.

I'm saying he doesn't work to make his ball club a winner, which guys like MJ and KG did. He quits too easily. Instead, he's now looking for a trade to a ball club that has things already working. He just doesn't know how to lead a team to win.

8. lloyd banks

lloyd banks JBB JustBBall Member

Thats weak trades dude

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

That's what I was thinking too, look at KG, AI, Pierce (only one year right now), Carter who are all on teams that have had ups and downs and have struggles, but they didn't decide to give up on their teams or ask for trades but have stuck with it for many years.

10. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">If Shaq were to be traded it won't be for anyone less than one all-star and a very good starter. If Shaq were to be traded I don't think you would see Fisher or George ( one of the two ) as starters either, because I'm sure they'd want a PG or SF thrown into a Shaq trade.</div>

You're right, but out of the two, they would probably try to trade for a star SF because Fisher has stepped it up this year on his play. However, a more likely scenario is that if Shaq gets traded, the Lakers would get at least 2 really good players to cover the C and the PF spot. The SF spot will not be as weak as the PF spot once Malone leaves so I think they'll go for a PF before an SF.

11. Van Exel

Van Exel JBB JustBBall Member

I would rather see T-Mac play for the Rockets instead of the Spurs and Lakers. How about T-Mac for Francis and Mobley. Fair trade for both sides. The Magic would get role players so...

C - ???
    PF - Okafor
    SF - Hill
    SG - Mobley
    PG - Francis

<font size="1"><font color="Red">*Threads merged by Ice*</font></font>

12. DirtySouth

DirtySouth JBB JustBBall Member

Unhappy Ending to T-Mac saga? Blame Weisbrod

Published May 31, 2004

Kid GMs say the darndest things.

Like John Weisbrod, for instance. The new Magic general manager lucked into the No. 1 pick last week. It gave the franchise hope. Not that it needed it.

"My feeling that hope is back came before this lottery," Weisbrod said.

Presumably, he was referring to his March appointment as the top personnel guy, or maybe he goes by czar. This much is true: Tracy McGrady didn't stand alone in line waiting for extra self-esteem.

You think McGrady's stubbornness and sense of worth is killing this franchise? How about Weisbrod's?

It's all easy to see now. The McGrady era is careering toward disaster. The superstar has started naming potential trade partners, and he dampened the No. 1 pick euphoria by stating his belief that there is no impact player in this draft. Without a miracle, McGrady will leave the Magic this summer.

Then it's decision time. Who gets the blame?

McGrady has his faults. But this will not be his fault. He's not the bad guy. The Magic, led by Weisbrod this time, will lose another superstar because of ineptitude.

Hope?

Nope.

Not with a dope.

OK, so I just went overboard in order to use some rhyme. Honestly, Weisbrod is a very smart man. But his initial dopey decision-making will gut this franchise.

A month into this assignment, Weisbrod put McGrady in an impossible situation. He revealed his intention to get his superstar, who can opt out of his current deal after next season, to sign a contract extension this summer. If McGrady balked, Weisbrod said he would pursue a trade. In theory, McGrady is just supposed to look at a remodeled roster on paper and decide the franchise's future.

Short of some inexplicably lopsided moves in the Magic's favor, I don't see how Orlando can create a roster sexy enough for McGrady.

The Magic only have a little more than $6 million in salary-cap exception money to spend. Outside of McGrady and this No. 1 pick, power forwards Juwan Howard and Drew Gooden are the team's only tradable assets.

Weisbrod began this process believing that, as a rookie GM, he could take his 21-win cap-strapped team and make it a playoff squad in one year. It's embarrassing to even suggest such a thing.

It leads me to believe that Weisbrod wants to trade McGrady. He despised his superstar's handling of losing. He considers McGrady a ballin' prima donna, which is true to an extent. Then again, all great NBA players have some prima donna in them.

As a rookie GM coming from an all-for-one hockey environment, Weisbrod can't accept this. His ideology won't allow it. Weisbrod understands he never could build a team in his image as long as McGrady is here. It will always be T-Mac's team, not J-Weis' team.

Weisbrod wants to win his way. It's why Weisbrod fired Doc Rivers, a good but headstrong coach. It's why, sources say, the green Weisbrod refuses to use the consultation of the demoted John Gabriel. It's why, quietly, Magic employees work with trepidation now.

McGrady is the only guy not in line. He's a star in a stars' league. He does not trust Weisbrod, and Weisbrod does not trust him.

Preparing for a potential trade, Weisbrod already has begun a public-relations battle. Because he knows McGrady is so young and honest, Weisbrod is staying quiet and letting McGrady talk. That way McGrady comes off as the guy wanting to bail. Fans lose respect. It softens the backlash. It's an old trick the Magic always use when bracing for controversy. And this is sure to be a firestorm.

Some hope, czar. Some hope.

13. Jordan-esque

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mikeisme713:</div><div class="quote_post">Where did you get this source? I just read in the Orlando Sentinel that he wants Houston for his first choice. He doesnt even have SA or LA in mind.</div>
    He doesn't want LA or SA, because he said he "didn't want to mess with a team that's working, that he needed some challenge."

Well if he needed some challenge, why don't just stay with Orlando? He'll get the challenge he's craving for. What T-mac REALLY means is that he wants an EASY challenge, that's why he prefers going to HOU.

Tracy needs to be a man and quit b*tchin about getting traded and stick to his team. He's such a whiner. Guys like KG, AI, VC, Pierce, Jordan all stuck with their teams through thick and thin, instead of complain about them.

14. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

T-Mac is crying like a little baby, how about we call him T-McBaby . Hahahaha. He makes Glen Robinson look like Joe Montana. I wonder though, have we seen the best of T-maudib. Is he on the decline of his career. I hope guys like Lebron and Carmelo learn from this incident, you have to stay grounded and not let success get to your head. Ever since hi first year in Orlando Tracy has been acting like a drag-queen.

He should just shut up and stay with his team, hopefully Emeka Okafur can teach him how to lead.

To be fair though Rich Devos needs to live up to his name and stop being so damn stingy, the guy never spends money on anyone and John Weisbord needs to make smart decisions.

15. gangsta

gangsta JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DontOPToutTMAC:</div><div class="quote_post">No, that was taken out of context... The media made is sound like he wanted to go back to Toronto, but he later clarified that he didn't...</div>

of course he doesnt want to go back to toronto the reason why he left was because of having carter on the same team. why would he want to go back now.

16. lloyd banks

lloyd banks JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DirtySouth:</div><div class="quote_post">McGrady has let those close to him know he is interested in playing for the Suns. The Suns know this and are ready to pounce should that opportunity present itself.

Full Story</div>T-MAC IS GOOD THATS ALLI HAVE TO SAY,BUT i hOPE HIM AND AI GO TO THE SAME TEAM!

17. TnNeG

TnNeG NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I dont think that would happen but that would be cool.
    That would be a great team.

18. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FrankWilliams:</div><div class="quote_post">I dont think that would happen but that would be cool.
    That would be a great team.</div>

Indeed.

PG - Ben Gordon or Jameer Nelson or Devin Harris or Livingston
    SG - T-Mac , JJ
    SF - Matrix , Barbosa
    PF - Amare , 2nd round
    C - Voshkul , trade or sign or 2nd round...

19. ZeroToOne50182

ZeroToOne50182 JBB JustBBall Member

Let's Trade Tracy...... Why Not? Do we want to win, or do we want T-Mac?

I myself would still be a T-Mac fan.. Unless he did something really drastic and started bashing orlando, or went out and left us with nothing...

But.. You know what we could actually get for T-Mac? We could work a three way deal out with Houston and Maybe someone like Golden State.. We could ship T-Mac off to Houston, and we could get some quality players in return... Something that could contend... Whether it be Erick Dampier or Nick Van Exel.. We could get a great player or two, something to fill in.. We could include Juwan Howard in the deal if we needed to... Not only would it give us more stuff to put out, we could make way for Drew Gooden..

Do we really want to keep McGrady? If hes not going to be a good sport about this, and not play out the contract he signed.. Why would we want him? We could get what we need if we traded him..

20. bentalldayeveryday

bentalldayeveryday JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">1. He already plays for a horrible team (at least record-wise).
    </div>

Nah, really???
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    2. That makes no sense. If you mean a team that's bad and has no star as thier 1st option, then the comment might hold some weight.</div>

Actually that does make sense. Glad you clarified what I meant.