OT The Government Has No Plan for Reuniting the Immigrant Families It Is Tearing Apart

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 18, 2018.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

A few days ago, Emily Kephart, a program coördinator at an immigrant-rights group called Kids in Need of Defense, set out to try to find a six-year-old Guatemalan girl who had been separated from her father after arriving in the United States, in May. The pair had been split up as a consequence of the Trump Administration’s zero-tolerance policy at the border, which calls for the criminal prosecution of all migrants, including asylum seekers, who cross the border without turning themselves in to officials at so-called ports of entry. Now the father was in an immigration-detention facility in Arizona awaiting deportation. He had no idea where his child was. Kephart was put on the case after the father called his family back in a small town outside of Huehuetenango City, in Guatemala’s western highlands, and then his family, in turn, contacted a local nonprofit that works with Kids in Need of Defense.

Every undocumented immigrant who enters government custody is assigned what’s called an alien number. But the girl’s family didn’t know hers. Armed only with the girl’s name and birth date, Kephart dialed a 1-800 hotline set up by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (O.R.R.), the federal body in charge of handling unaccompanied immigrant children. This hotline, Kephart told me, is difficult to access for parents who are in a detention facility (hold times can last half an hour; it’s impossible to leave a call-back number) or who have been deported (international calls are expensive, and 1-800 numbers don’t often work from abroad).

“We hit a dead end,” Kephart said. “The person I spoke with just made a note in the file of the girl they thought it might be. But we didn’t get confirmation that we were talking about the same child. They were looking at the record of someone whose first name was spelled differently, and whose date of birth was a month off.”

In the past two months, the government has taken some two thousand immigrant children away from their parents. Under the zero-tolerance policy, border crossers are arrested and charged with a crime before being placed in immigration detention. If they came with their children, the children are turned over to O.R.R. and treated as though they travelled to the U.S. alone. No protocols have been put in place for keeping track of parents and children concurrently, for keeping parents and children in contact with each other while they are separated, or for eventually reuniting them. Immigration lawyers, public defenders, and advocates along the border have been trying to fill the void.

Kephart had one other lead. The family in Guatemala had the phone number of a children’s shelter run by O.R.R. where they thought that the girl might be. The number had come from a neighbor who had also been separated from a child in the U.S. When Kephart called that shelter, she was told that the girl wasn’t there but that someone with a similar name and date of birth might be at a facility nearby. Eventually, Kephart tracked down a case manager at the second facility. “I told her, ‘Look, I have this situation. I think you have a girl there,’ ” Kephart told me. ‘“The case manager said, ‘Oh, my God, yes!’ The case manager had a kid whose parents she couldn’t find. She was trying to help, but she’d had nothing to go on.”

Although the zero-tolerance policy was officially announced last month, it has been in effect, in more limited form, since at least last summer. Several months ago, as cases of family separation started surfacing across the country, immigrant-rights groups began calling for the Department of Homeland Security (D.H.S.), which is in charge of immigration enforcement and border security, to create procedures for tracking families after they are split up. At the time, D.H.S. said that it would address the problem, but there is no evidence that it actually did so. Erik Hanshew, a federal public defender in El Paso, told me that the problems begin at the moment of arrest. “Our client gets arrested with his or her child out in the field. Sometimes they go together at the initial processing, sometimes they get separated right then and there for separate processing,” he said. “When we ask the Border Patrol agents at detention hearings a few days after physical arrest about the information they’ve obtained in their investigation, they tell us that the only thing they know is that the person arrested was with a kid. They don’t seem to know gender, age, or name.”

Jennifer Podkul, who is the policy director of Kids in Need of Defense, told me that advocates are trying to piece together information about the whereabouts of children based on the federal charging documents used in the parent’s immigration case. “You can try to figure out where and when the child was apprehended based on that,” she said. “But where the child is being held often has nothing to do with where she and her parent were arrested. The kids get moved around to different facilities.”

The federal departments involved in dealing with separated families have institutional agendas that diverge. Immigration and Customs Enforcement—the agency at the D.H.S. that handles immigrant parents—is designed to deport people as rapidly as it can, while O.R.R.—the office within the Department of Health and Human Services (H.H.S.) that assumes custody of the kids—is designed to release children to sponsor or foster families in the U.S. Lately, O.R.R. has been moving more slowly than usual, which has resulted in parents getting deported before their children’s cases are resolved. There’s next to no coördination between D.H.S. and H.H.S. “ice detainees are not allowed to receive calls, so any calls need to be individually arranged,” Michelle Brané, of the Women’s Refugee Commission, told me. “A phone call is not a fix for separation. It is a call, often with a very young child. A call is a Band-Aid.” A number of lawyers that I’ve spoken with described personally pressuring individual deportation officers to delay a parent’s deportation until she can be reunified with her child or, failing that, until children and parents can be deported at roughly the same time.

Late last week, Kephart heard that the Guatemalan family had at last learned where the young girl was. A month after they’d been separated, though, it still wasn’t clear that the father had been informed in detention of his daughter’s location. “I hope that she’s spoken to her father,” Kephart told me. “But I haven't gotten confirmation yet.” Even if father and daughter have spoken, getting reunited is far from assured. There is no formal process in place to insure that a family that’s been separated at the border gets deported back to their home country together. For now, just knowing the whereabouts of a child is a start. “I have a master’s degree, and I’m fluent in English,” Kephart said. “And it takes me days to figure one of these cases out.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...lies-it-is-tearing-apart?mbid=social_facebook

riverman, Flipper and Lanny like this.
  2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

IF THEY ARE UNDOCUMENTED, U CAN'T REALLY FIGURE OUT WHO THEY BELONG TO.

MARIS61 likes this.
  3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Fake news.

Here's the truth from the top.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    The truth is that the President and the President alone is responsible for confining children without their guardian. This is new and a way Trump want's to blackmail Democrats into voting for a WALL. Idiot.

Flipper and dviss1 like this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Fucking shameful...

Laura Bush lets the fat hutt have it here:

"Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso," she continues. "These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history."

"Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war," she writes. "We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place."

"My mother-in-law never viewed her embrace of that fragile child as courageous. She simply saw it as the right thing to do in a world that can be arbitrary, unkind and even cruel," writes Bush. "She, who after the death of her 3-year-old daughter knew what it was to lose a child, believed that every child is deserving of human kindness, compassion and love. In 2018, can we not as a nation find a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis? I, for one, believe we can."

Chris Craig, Lanny and Flipper like this.
  6. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

They tore slave children from parents, tore Native American children from families, sadly, this is who we are as a country.

I listened to part of the news conference, I'm sorry, I just could not listen to that lying little Aryan fascist talking about "alien children" like they're frigging Martians.

Lanny and Flipper like this.
  7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    This statement is total bullshit.
    Children are always separated from their parents in every state when they are being incarcerated for committing a crime, what ever the crime.

MARIS61 likes this.
  8. SlyPokerDog

Not true. Not true at all. I'll let you figure out why.

Flipper and donkiez like this.
  9. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Seeking asylum isn't a crime.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well I know of no situation where the children go to jail with the parent.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Illegal entry is a crime. The proper way to seek asylum is to go to a US embassy and request asylum. Very much like when I went to the Canadian embassy in San Francisco to request permission to be a resident of Canada. I obtained the permission and presented such at the Port of entry into Canada. US procedure is nearly the same.

12. SlyPokerDog

That's not what you said.

Many of these children are being incarcerated and have not committed a crime. Again, I'll let you figure out why this is.

Here's a hint, if you were to take away your 3yr old grandson's favorite toy and in a fit of rage he were to stab you to death could he be charged with murder?

Chris Craig and Flipper like this.
  13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I know not what you inferred. I suspect you inferred something other than I intended to communicate.
    Thus the statement in another way.
    Do you understand what I am saying?

14. SlyPokerDog

Yes but in some states women are allowed to keep their children with them up to 18 mos of age.

Flipper likes this.
  15. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    The children are not being incarcerated, the adult that brought them is the one in the wrong and are being incarcerated.
    The children are not being incarcerated, they are being cared for since they no longer have and adult care giver present.

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This should be common and basic knowledge. Anyone who think there should be a complete separation of child and parent without the same deportation date (or ways to connect back in their country OR at the deportation site)... that's so fucked up.

Be against illegal immigration, I get that. I can not in good conscience ever support anyone who thinks they should separate the entire family without a way to connect face-to-face again during deportation. Have some fucking compassion. They are human beings at the end of the day.

And no, any response of "But" or "Well, you see..." (or any derivative of that) won't fly with me. You connect them, bar none. There is NO other answer, explanation, or justification.

17. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Yes, I remember this now. And I remember some years back a hell of a wail from some on TV about how unjust it was to put these children into prison with mom for crimes they did not commit.
    US law does not duplicate this unjust act.

18. SlyPokerDog

That's only true if the children are being returned to the parents immediately after their "incarceration."

Flipper likes this.
  19. Strenuus

So they lose their children when they get deported, or have no way of contacting their parents when deportation happens? Did you miss that part too, or is it scary to think that that actually happens so you play blind to it?

Quote the whole thing, don't leave a word out so you can spin it.

Flipper likes this.
  20. Strenuus

You're right.

They made it worse.

Flipper likes this.