The Greg Oden Watch "OFFICIAL" Thread...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I think he ends up in Miami and has a chance to make a big impact. Grant Hill had what 5 years it took him to finally get healthy again and then was injury free.

Injuries are just a major part of basketball, its a high impact activity. I don't know why some fans act like its this extremely rare occurrence that a player misses games with injuries, especially big men. Bynum, Bogut, Amare, Brook Lopez, Yao have missed tons of time just the nature of the game. Pryzbilla had a worse injury the same time Oden last played and never recovered, sure he "played" games but he was never the same player. Odens procedures at least have a chance of regaining health and athleticism. If anything its rare for talented centers to get through seasons without injuries.

Look at Tiger Woods, that guy is injured all the time playing a non impact sport where all you have to do is walk and swing. If he had to play basketball he might've had to retire at the age of 23.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Not really; we could have just waived Armon Johnson or something we waived Oden after the trade was completed that gave us the Nets draft pick. I totally understand why both sides wanted to move on knowing Oden was still years away from contributing if he could get healthy.

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

LOL. I have good reason to have been away and it's a little personal. I'd tell you via PM. But I should have just as many posts as BGG er BGD.

4. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I'm an oden fan. Unless he's playing the Blazers I want to see him succeed. Well, unless he somehow ends up a Laker, then he's dead to me.

5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I hope hot lava flows out of both of Greg Oden's knees and he never plays again. Straight up... At least Brandon and Lamarcus Re-Upped with us...
    IMHO Greg owes us big... Not only did he become an alcoholic instead of staying strong (which is akin to quitting on us IMO), he makes
    ignorant statements about Black men with money not liking my town. He's an idiot for saying that and he doesn't speak for all of us black folk.
    Saying ignorance like that hurts our FA possibilities too therefore perpetuating more ignorance. Besides he looked like he was having loads of fun drinking
    and straddling white girls in the Downtown Clubs didn't he? Instead of posting dick picks online and texting them to 6'10" strippers,
    he should have been keeping his weight down and maybe his fucking knees wouldn't explode when he jumps...
    Fuck Greg. Yes I said it....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

It was just as much the Front Office's decision (or more so) for Greg to not come back as it was his. POR doesn't even have interest in him this time around and we do/could have a spot for him.

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    While under contract he played when healthy, he never demanded to be traded. He owes us nothing.

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

And instead of rehabbing he spent his time drinking and clubbing. He wasted his time here in Portland and he disrespected my city. He STOLE 25+MM and ran.
    Should've honked twice PA...

9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

wrong as usual?

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

When he plays again and hurts his knee again it will be the first only time I say "Good" to someone getting injured.

I feel kinda bad saying that and hey, I guess I'm a bad person for it. Fuck it I'll own it...

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Oden is not going to make any impact on any of these teams. HCP- He never did 10/10 for us. He won't do it for anyone else. Oden doesn't have much experience playing basketball, college or pro. You can't compare Grant Hill who had a solid college career and an All Star level NBA career before getting all those injuries. Oden averaged 15/9 one year in college. A horrible summer league and then 82 games of what, 9/7? If he couldn't play in summer league this year, it's because he simply can't play. And I've never been sure he even likes playing basketball. He's just trying to make more money and I don't blame him for that. Gets yours while you can, Greg, and then it's off to dentistry school!

crandc likes this.
  12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

How is that going to happen. Keep him from drinking beer and eating like shit? His knees are shot. He's a bust. A bigger bust than Sam Bowie. At least Sam tried to stay in shape and rehabilitate himself. Oden was goofing off at Oba and Blue Hour for much of his time in 'rehab'.

I wish I could say I hope he does well, but he completely failed as a Blazer, and that's on him.

dviss1 likes this.
  13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Nobody signed him last season, if you didn't notice.

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

You must have missed his comments prior to the Blazers waiving his fat lazy ass.

15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Healthy Oden is a beast, there is no disputing that. I expect that he is going to make Blazers fans sick to their stomachs. What should have been....

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Repp'd!

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I can't BELIEVE we're about to be humiliated watching him BEAST all over the league.

If only we had listened to that paragon of morality, Canzano.

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I find this thread incredibly illuminating.

19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Oden was a beast in college. He had his way with Noah and Horford in the title game, who've both become exceptional NBA big men. Oden would've won the title if he had the teammates those Gators had. People forget how quick and athletic Oden was, he measured as fast as PG's in the agility drills which centers just never do. It obviously didn't work out with the Blazers but it was never a question of Oden's talent, only his health. Oden was an elite basketball player in college and one of the best prospects to enter the NBA.

Obviously the safe bet is to say Oden won't amount to much in the NBA, but if I were another team I'd love to get the chance of signing him. You just never see opportunities to acquire big men with that kind of talent. Players with hardly any basketball skill such as DeAndre Jordan and Javalee McGee get 8 figures in the NBA. Those guys are never going to be a main piece helping a team get the title. Oden probably won't either, but he has the talent to put it all together for one brief season like Walton did.

20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

If Oden can stay healthy he will probably be an all star next year because fans will vote him in.