The Greg Oden Watch "OFFICIAL" Thread...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jul 23, 2013.

1. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Oh yes the Truth.

2. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    He didn't go Shawn Kemp. Any drinking he did, certainly didn't contribute to his microfracture surgeries or his fractured patella. Rehab is depressing, especially when you have to do it again and again and again. That's like saying you'll never like Bill Walton because he had a vegetarian diet and smoked weed constantly and didn't rehab properly.

As long as he doesn't join the L*kers or absolutely crush us, I'll wish him well and just be sad about how things turned out here.

3. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

The difference there, maxiep, is that Walton brought the team it's only championship while Oden caused nothing but heartache.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    It's how he handled himself that pisses me off. And being a drunk could very well be a factor, since he cared more about drinking than rehabbing the injuries. Being over weight and making statements in clubs that he doesn't give a fuck about basketball.

I think he will beast just because he has natural talent. But I can never forgive him for how he treated our franchise and took advantage.

5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I've heard that rumor. It gets bigger every time I hear it. I tend to not put much stock in rumors about people's private lives, spread by people with only peripheral contact, if any, with the subject of the rumors. I doubt he drank more than I did at the same age, and my knees didn't blow out because of it.

Pretty much all players party pretty damn hard. Again, I have doubts that Greg was that bad. Besides, it didn't seem to hurt these guys too much:

bth_steve-nash-dirk-nowitzki-drunk-drun.jpg bth_DirkDrunk.jpg

6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I've always blamed the training staff rather than Oden, because they allowed him to focus so much on his upper body during rehab. When he came back from his first microfracture so totally jacked, nobody was complaining that Oden wasn't working hard enough. The consensus was that he was top-heavy, and had too much weight for his knees to carry. If the first rehab had focused on lower-body strength and overall body proportion, we might have seen a completely different result.

BBert likes this.
  7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I remember our breakup with Walton. It was a hell of a lot more bitter than our separation from GO. It's been healed with time, but in his time with the Clippers and Celtics and in the beginning years of his retirement, he HATED this organization.

8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Good point. He wasn't overdrinking as long as the trainers kept him busy. He was motivated to work. Once the trainers were pulled off him, as they should have been, he got very bored.

I blame Oden for nothing. There is no evidence that Walton smoked grass during the season while he was playing. Kemp, whom I watched a couple of months ago answer a crowd's every trivial question for an hour and then sign autographs for another hour, is a very nice man.

9. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Overweight? He didn't get fat. He bulked up.

How did he treat our franchise badly? He was a Midwestern kid stuck in the PNW, a very different place. It was just bad luck.

10. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Bingo. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PtldPlatypus again.

11. magnifier661

I don't know which oden you watched, but after he blew out both his knees; he got really fat.

12. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    What would you define as "really fat"? He may have gained 10-20 excess lbs, but that's not unusual. As was pointed out before, what he did was really hit the weight room and got huge in his upper body. In that case, he was overtraining, not being casual about it.

I'm wondering if you are also angry at Zach Randolph for gaining even more weight than Oden after he had his knee surgery. They had to put him on that dumbass bike because he was too fat to do any normal rehab. What about Joel Przybilla slipping in the shower and reinjuring his knee?

I think you're angry at GO because he represented the final piece after a long rebuild. We were poised for greatness and it crumbled with Roy's and Oden's knees. I'm disappointed, too. It stings like hell three years later, but I don't blame Oden for it.

13. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I concur. I don't think there has ever been a more contentious parting of the ways in the NBA. Walton went so far as to sue the organization and it's doctors. The more things change, etc.

14. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Exactly.

15. magnifier661

Zach came back and contributed. He wasn't bound to his athleticism like oden was.

Whatever the case, I 100% blame Oden for his lackluster motivation.

16. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Ah, yes. The bike. They put Zach on a bicycle, that was completely mis-sized for his body, and had him bike up the steepest hills they could find. After knee surgery. Christ, the stupidity of our medical/training staff. It's a wonder they didn't ruin Zach for life.

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Walton hung out with radical hippies. He called the FBI "the enemy." Blazer doctors kept making his legs worse. Anyone could see who controlled the doctors. He sued. He changed teams in order to change doctors.

18. Coast541

Coast541 It's better at the beach!

I get he was in a tough position, but blame Oden for nothing? The guy never owned up to anything in my opinion. Always blamed everybody but himself. Stereotyped the Airforce as drunks. Blamed all his drinking on his cousin. Said he couldn't hack it in Portland because nobody held his hand. Fired his therapist because he thought the Blazers were getting info from him. Said he sent dong pics because he didn't want to be an asshole for not responding. Let his blind dog have access to an 8th story balcony. Can't understand why people want to take his picture.

You can't blame Greg for his injuries, and yeah he made some mistakes, but I can't say I don't blame him for nothing... he still did a real piss poor job of handling everything.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  19. magnifier661

This is a perfect post!

20. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Well if guys like Adonal Foyle and Kwame Brown can get around $10million a year after they prove to be busts I think Oden will have a number of suitors in the $3 milliion range.