The healthy player scratches

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They kind of already do, which is part of the reason that the first third of the NBA season is basically considered irrelevant. Would you think a different daily schedule would mitigate that issue? Maybe have their back-to-backs on Tuesdays/Wednesdays so they owned those days of the week even during football season, and play the other games on Fridays and Sundays (that day's a loss no matter what)? Or perhaps Monday/Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday?

2. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

The NBA should just try to schedule their national broadcasts, and team schedules, to only televise teams not in a back-to-back situation. Sometimes it would be unavoidable and teams can always rest their players but I think it would largely solve the problem.

3. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    It's not a problem, let teams scratch healthy players. It's the natural solution to the 82 games problem.... but decrease the number of preseason games to 3 , and start the season when the 4th preseason game would normally be played.

BosnianChampion likes this.
  4. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I personally believe home teams should be allowed to rest players, but road teams shouldn't. That way all fan's get to see players like LBJ play on their court.
    Don't allow vets to play in a single game pre-season. Starting the regular season the night after that pre-season game.
    Eliminate 4 days off.
    Also if it's a national televised game, players may not rest.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

If the Blazers were sitting with 3-4 nagging injuries and were struggling i am betting yes we would be talking about an inferior product. The Heat are just now getting healthy and the Blazers have played through a few also. It's not just B2B games it's the overall length of season and coupling that with B2B games.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    What about the ABC Saturday Night showcases? Big games in which none of the stars play. It's really bad for the NBA when that happens.

7. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...this would lead Pop to start all of his bench players and then immediately call a time out to sub in the real starters -- I suppose it would have to be minutes based to determine the "starters" :dunno:

8. BosnianChampion

BosnianChampion Well-Known Member

I work for Uncle Phil
    What if you gave players a big bonus for playing 10 minutes in every arena? It would be percent of their salary so stars make more. Like 1% more?

9. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Wait, isn't this basically what already happens? I don't remember watching an all star game in recent memory in which players were actually playing real basketball.

[​IMG]

No, that's the players playing right now that will be dead, not the league itself unfortunately.

10. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Dan Patrick just said on his radio show that Michael Jordan played all 82 regular season games in 8 seasons during his career. Lebron has never done it.
    A suggestion/solution they brought up on the show was that if a player sits out a road game, then he must also sit out a home game. That way there is the threat of losing season ticket holders, the team losing revenue.

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Cav season ticket holders aren't going to give up their seats just because Lebron sat out a couple of regular season home games. That's silly.

12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    If teams are going to sit a player especially for a nationally televised game, then that player should be legitimately injured and needs more than one game off. If they sit for a national TV game, they have to sit out the next game as well.

13. SlyPokerDog

If the Blazers wrap up the 8th spot in the playoffs and there are a few games left in the regular season I'm fine if Lillard and/or Nurkic rest a game or two. 100% perfectly fine with it. Just like Golden State and Cav fans are 100% fine if their players sit a couple of games during the regular season. If the Blazers were in 1st or 2nd place in the WC and Lillard wants to sit out a game would anyone here have a problem with it? Really? We've seen how Lillard plays when he's banged up vs when he's rested.

And sorry, I'm just not feeling sorry for the poor TV networks because they don't have a star or two play in a few regular season games.

The players resting are the ones playing for deep runs in the playoffs. That's their focus. "I'm banged up and want to be my best for the playoffs so I'm going to sit out a game or two." That's the attitude I would want to see from my star player.

I want my team focused on doing everything they can to win in the playoffs, not about regular season TV ratings.

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

^^ of course you want your team to be healthy and rested but in a massive TV game like the Spurs/Warriors where both teams sit down multiple stars, that not only hurts the network but is a disservice to the fans to paid to watch such a big game at inflated prices. The Blazers charge way more for a big game and if they did so and then as an organization chose to sit healthy players, at the very least, the home town fans should get a major refund.

15. SlyPokerDog

The NBA doesn't get "massive" ratings during the regular season. Games average 2 million viewers. This Spurs v Warriors game you're talking about got 2.19 million viewers. Maybe if all the stars played the ratings would have been 2.5 million.

FYI, 31 million people watched game 7 last year. So again, with the exception of Christmas there are no massive TV games during the regular season.

And fans buy tickets to see 2 teams play.

16. BosnianChampion

I work for Uncle Phil
    It shouldn't be illegal to rest players. But make the season more friendly so players want to play. Make a bonus that's tied to playing away against all teams, make back to backs go away, make the all star game after the season is over. Make defense less physical if players get hurt too much. But making players play because they are punished if not feels wrong.

17. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I would have to respectfully disagree with that part. Take LeBron off the Cavs team and their ticket sales go down. They are much less of a draw on the road as well so teams like the Blazers that charge a 'premium' for games when the Cavs come to town would see those prices fall dramatically because there would very few Cavs fans but tons coming to see LeBron.

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It shouldn't be illegal to rest players, agreed, but players who choose not to play when they're perfectly capable of doing so should forfeit that game's check as a refund back to the paying customers who were denied the ability to watch them play. Let the players put their "rest" above their responsibility to perform the task for which they are compensated handsomely--that's fine. But let them sacrifice some of that compensation for that choice. If an understudy takes the place of a star on a broadway show, refunds are offered to the audience. If I'm unable to work and don't have PTO available, my pay is docked. I don't think these concepts are unreasonable to apply to healthy scratches.

Trackjack and TBpup like this.
  19. BosnianChampion

I work for Uncle Phil
    Makes sense. Maybe then give players 3 games off 'PTO' to match employee 2 weeks off? After that they get no pay?

I still like giving a bonus for playing all arenas because it could be built into the contract like how making All-NBA and ASG let Dame get the super max contract. If you are a popular player, and make a lot of money, an extra 3 percent bonus for playing to all the fans should be a lot of money! For Dame that would be an extra $75,000... hmm maybe that's not so much for him! :D

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  20. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

These guys sign a very big contract to play. It is the same players tell people that they love the game. If your healthy take your ass out there and play. Players now are baby by there teams and it usually the high demand players that with huge contracts. That like me tilling my boss I am not coming to work because I am tired. I would properly be fire. That's why I like Dame he doesn't make excuses for not being out there every night he has to be serious be hurting if he not there.

TBpup and BosnianChampion like this.