The healthy player scratches

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Good compromise. So, how do we get this proposal to the commish? Can you pass it up to Uncle Phil? He's got the juice to make it happen.

Not a bad idea. Not sure how much it would need to be in order to be worthwhile, though.

BosnianChampion likes this.
  2. BosnianChampion

BosnianChampion Well-Known Member

I work for Uncle Phil
    When you make a lot of money, you worry a lot about your value. What if you get injured and never get another big contract because the team has dirty players on it? I'd skip playing a dirty team or a game that your team would win anyway without you if I was worried about my career. Players treat their bodies like they are valuable because they are. I think that's okay. Make the season more friendly to players so they want to play all games and play well all games. Punishing workers for respecting their own value is wrong. Without good players, the NBA is just the D-League.

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Very true...but without fans paying for tickets, there is no league as well. There has to be some way to improve on this. It's a fairly new thing. Players rarely used to sit out unless they were REALLY injured.

4. BosnianChampion

BosnianChampion Well-Known Member

I work for Uncle Phil
    It's hard to tell who makes the choice too. Popovich takes responsibility for the decision when he does it, but should the league fine him or fine the players if fans hate that? Players don't say "I'm not playing" because the process is the coach tells scorekeepers who is playing tonight. It's never the players fault officially, even if LeBron tells the world.