The "I'm bored, let's come up with some Foyle/Fish/Dun/Murph trade scenarios" thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jul 6, 2005.

1. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed. If Foyle is producing like he was at the end of last season, his salary is pretty average. Not to mention he is one of the best shot blockers in the NBA. I'd much rather pay him 8 mils than Fisher, whom we could replace 1 or 2 million, 6 mils.</div>
    Agreed. Foyle is very underrated by the Warriors fans and NBA fans alike. Most people forget about how good a shotblocker he is and his desire to help out a team. He could be a good trade bait for the Magic in a three way for Mihm

2. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

We drafted Ike in large part to add to the frontcourt D and rebounding. If we deal Murphy,or Foyle and do not come up with the RBD+Defense elements,we don't gain,Ike just has to compensate for us losing our shotblocker and our rebounder. We gain squat.

Down the road a bit,we may face some decisions on the $$$$$ end. My take is this,you wanna play with those perennial contenders awhile-you pay the price,you invoke Bird rights to keep the keepers,if you have success,the guys who get you there will want to see some RE$PECT.. If you have a few decades of never even getting close-you bite the bullet and step through the window of opportunity.

If we join the WINNERS group-then we look good to the top tier FA's-if we suck,cap space won't get us anything but another D Fish or C Cheaney

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">We drafted Ike in large part to add to the frontcourt D and rebounding. If we deal Murphy,or Foyle and do not come up with the RBD+Defense elements,we don't gain,Ike just has to compensate for us losing our shotblocker and our rebounder. We gain squat.</div>

Murphy is expendable IMO. Foyle's rebounding numbers would take a significant boost if he didn't have to guard Murphy's man as well as his assignment, Ike could probably get nearly as many boards as Murphy, plus J-Rich and Baron are great rebounders for their positions. Zarko has the same range on his shot as Murphy, as well as the same defense, but Zarko is much faster, can put the ball on the floor, and can dish off of drives. Ike can also stretch the D out to the college 3 but has a post game and much better defense. Both Ike and Zarko do more than stand in the corner and wait for a pass just to lob up a three without even thinking of passing. We dont lose almost any of Murphy's production except perhaps scoring but if our defense improves we wont need that little bit of lost scoring.

This being said, here is my trade proposal:

Atlanta Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's HS (NJ)
    17.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 3.1 apg in 38.6 minutes

Josh Childress
    6-8 SF from Stanford
    10.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 29.7 minutes
    Incoming

Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    15.4 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.4 apg in 33.9 minutes

Derek Fisher
    6-1 PG from Arkansas-Little Rock
    11.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.1 apg in 30.0 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -0.5 ppg, +0.8 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

Golden State Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    15.4 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.4 apg in 33.9 minutes

Derek Fisher
    Incoming

Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's HS (NJ)
    17.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 3.1 apg in 38.6 minutes

Josh Childress
    6-8 SF from Stanford
    10.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 29.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +0.5 ppg, -0.8 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Golden State being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Golden State had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

ATL Lineup:
    Fisher/ Delk/ S. Stoudamire
    J. Johnson/ Diaw-Riffod/ Stoudamire
    J. Smoove/ Diaw-Riffod/ M. Williams
    Murphy/ FA?/ M. Williams
    FA?/ Collier/ Murphy

GSW ineup:
    Baron/Monta/ Dun
    J-Rich/ Pietrus/ Childress
    Harrington/ Dun/ Pietrus
    Diogu/ Cabarkapa/ Harrington
    Foyle/ Biedrins/ Taft

Atlanta does this to unclog their SG/SF logjam and fill much needed holes, they get a very good-sized and productive PF who is locked up for much cheaper than what his price would be if he were an FA, as well as a serviceable PG who knows how to win and provides veteran leadership to the Hawks young players. Both great leaders and have lots of work ethic.

Golden State picks up an established combo F (and expiring contract) as well as a young SG/SF. They also get even deeper, way more athletic, better defensively, and gain leverage for the off-season; we dont have to overpay Dunleavy (assuming thats who Mullin chooses) because we still have Harrington, Childress, and Pietrus. We could also let both walk and have Monty's boy Childress or Pietrus take over the SF spot, this would also greatly help the cap situation.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If I'm Atlanta, I don't think I'd want to part with Childress. The whole reason for drafting these guys is the hope that they'll become special one day in those possible four years under contract. If Atlanta does get Joe Johnson, it would be kind of a waste since he's the type of player that benefits most at either the 2 or the 3. I've got Childress that plays more like a 2 guard, but can handle some 3 when he eventually fills out (or if he eventually fills out). I've got Smith who can be a very good player with Carmelo Anthony like qualities and finally Marvin Williams who can be the type of player people thought Tim Thomas was going to be. Any of these young guys can be great bargaining chips in the right situation to grab good players because of all that cap they have. I don't think they'd want to waste cap on guys like Murphy and Fisher who don't really make their team better. What they need is a good set of big men and finally a pure point guard that can score and drive in the nba.

I do agree Murphy kind of kills Foyle's ability in defending the interior because he just doesn't move his feet or care about getting those hands up. It's not really about blocking every shot but making the scorer think you can and then playing defense with your feet. Murphy does neither well and that's really annoying to be a starter getting paid as much as he is. I'm sure he can improve in inside scoring, but we need better defense inside first. Pistons did all right without a low post scorer. Rasheed Wallace was the closest thing they've had to any inside scoring during their championship run. Him and Mehmet Okur, but we know why Larry Brown didn't play his butt.

5. Run BJM

Valid points custodian. Atlanta has the following players at SG/SF: J. Smoove, Childress, M. Williams, Harrington, Diaw-Riffod, Royal Ivey, and Donta Smith (last two probably dont expect PT). So at least one person has to go, Josh Smith and M. Williams are likely the most beloved of the Hawks, no other teams want Ivey or Smith. That leaves Diaw-Riffod, Harrington, and Childress. Their only PF is Al Harrington who is more of an SF, their only PG is Tony Delk, their only C is Collier. Obviously Murphy isn't an elite big man but he's 6'11 and averages a double-double, not to mention hes locked up for 7 years on a less-than-market value contract. Fisher may turn off the Hawks but he does have upside: he is a good perimiter shooter which the Hawks lack, he plays solid defense on PGs who arent super fast, he could provide great leadership and direction for all the young players, and his contract isn't as bad if he is a starter. I agree that Atlanta may want more for taking on Fish's contract, maybe if we have apick in mid-late first round we could throw that in.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Valid points custodian. Atlanta has the following players at SG/SF: J. Smoove, Childress, M. Williams, Harrington, Diaw-Riffod, Royal Ivey, and Donta Smith (last two probably dont expect PT). So at least one person has to go, Josh Smith and M. Williams are likely the most beloved of the Hawks, no other teams want Ivey or Smith. That leaves Diaw-Riffod, Harrington, and Childress. Their only PF is Al Harrington who is more of an SF, their only PG is Tony Delk, their only C is Collier. Obviously Murphy isn't an elite big man but he's 6'11 and averages a double-double, not to mention hes locked up for 7 years on a less-than-market value contract. Fisher may turn off the Hawks but he does have upside: he is a good perimiter shooter which the Hawks lack, he plays solid defense on PGs who arent super fast, he could provide great leadership and direction for all the young players, and his contract isn't as bad if he is a starter. I agree that Atlanta may want more for taking on Fish's contract, maybe if we have apick in mid-late first round we could throw that in.</div>
    Yeah, the Hawks need to make some moves, but not for the sake of making any move. But we never know. The Hawks moves have been sort of confusing. The best thing they have now is cap space and some young talent in their swingmen. Iif they don't have any ideal trade opportunities I think they are screwed for several years. I'm not even sure if they got anything for that Jason Terry deal or for when they received Antoine Walker. Even more confusing was the 31rst overall pick. There needs to be some pure point guards on that squad and a decent center or power forward. If we trade Murphy, we better hope to land ourselves a good temporary veteran that can put up enough defense to make Foyle's numbers go up. Foyle does get caught out of position a lot because he has to run around like crazy trying to play defense for two people.

7. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

This deal is not bad-at least I do like the guys we get-and we dump the Fish contract. We'd need to be quick to find a usable PG backup,Monta may have done okay in one summer game but if Baron missed a few weeks [​IMG] Harrington+Childress would make it more likely we'd trade Dunleavy.

Atlanta's "master plan" is pretty hard to figure. If they were smart-they'd see that a front with Murph,Collier,Marvin Williams and J Smith would be awful on D [​IMG] But the record indicates the Hawks [​IMG] are clueless

The Hawks D would look like this-- [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Run BJM

LMAO Rerem. I agree, their defense would take a hit but they still have the money to pick up an FA such as Dale Davis, Ervin Johnson, Chris Anderson, Motumbo, or any other good shotblocking C.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">
    The Hawks D would look like this-- [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>
    REREM, that looks like our D. [​IMG]

10. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

REREM for king of smilies lol. Good points there

11. TDoug

TDoug JBB JustBBall Member

Let's get Philly back on top. How about AI and a 1st rounder in 2006 for Steve Nash and Shawn Marion? This should go over well with the Phoenix fans.

12. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TDoug:</div><div class="quote_post">Let's get Philly back on top. How about AI and a 1st rounder in 2006 for Steve Nash and Shawn Marion? This should go over well with the Phoenix fans.</div>

What the. This is GSW forum

13. Custodianrules2

Maybe he thought we were still the Philadelphia Warriors. [​IMG]

14. Run BJM

Okay, I've come up with another crazy trade idea.

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Brian Grant
    6-9 C from Xavier
    3.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 16.5 minutes

Chris Mihm
    7-0 C from Texas
    9.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.9 minutes

Jumaine Jones
    6-8 SF from Georgia
    7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.1 minutes
    Incoming

Derek Fisher

Mike Dunleavy
    6-9 SF from Duke
    13.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.6 apg in 32.5 minutes

Calbert Cheaney
    6-7 SF from Indiana
    4.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 17.3 minutes

Kelvin Cato
    6-11 C from Iowa State
    7.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.6 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +15.5 ppg, +1.9 rpg, and +6.5 apg.

Outgoing

Adonal Foyle
    6-10 C from Colgate
    4.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 21.8 minutes

Derek Fisher

Mike Dunleavy
    6-9 SF from Duke
    13.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.6 apg in 32.5 minutes

Calbert Cheaney
    6-7 SF from Indiana
    4.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 17.3 minutes
    Incoming

Brian Grant
    6-9 C from Xavier
    3.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 16.5 minutes

Chris Mihm
    7-0 C from Texas
    9.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.9 minutes

Jumaine Jones
    6-8 SF from Georgia
    7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.1 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -13.0 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and -6.5 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Kelvin Cato
    6-11 C from Iowa State
    Incoming

Adonal Foyle
    6-10 C from Colgate
    Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to L.A. Lakers, Golden State, and Orlando being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers, Golden State, and Orlando had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

LA gets rid of Brian Grant's huge contract along with Mihm and Jumaine Jones, they get Dun Dun, Fisher, Cheany and Cato. Fisher is a proven PG in the triangle offense plus a fan favorite, Dunleavy could be a great fit for Phil Jackson's point forward because of his great court vision he would also be an excellent 6th man if necessary, Cheany is just a filler, and Cato is a replacement for Mihm. Thats not all though, 3 of the 4 contracts they take on are expiring contracts but they are still more productive than what they give up, this is excellent for their quest to free up cap space for 2007.
    LA's new lineup:
    Fisher/ Dunleavy/ Vujacic
    Kobe/ Von Wafer/ Vujacic/ Cheany
    Odom/ Dunleavy/ D. George
    Kwame/ Odom/ Medvedenko
    Cato/ Bynum

GS gets rid of its two worst contracts as well as Dunleavy and Cheany and gets back an enourmous expiring contract, an upgrade at center, and a good back-up SF. Grant is pretty much just cap relief but he can play C/PF against strong big men in the playoffs, Mihm is a good shot blocker who also provides some more offense in the post he also comes cheaper than Foyle and hes a legit 7 footer, J. Jones is a very good back-up SF who is a good perimeter defender and a good spot-up shooter. The most intriuging part of the trade is getting tons of cap relief to use on our future players while losing little production.
    GS Lineup:
    Baron/ FA/ Monta
    J-Rich/ Pietrus/ Monta
    Pietrus/ Jones/ Zarko
    Murphy/ Diogu/ Zarko/ Taft
    Mihm/ Biedrins/ Grant/ Taft

Orlando's part of the deal is simple, Cato, whom they are trying to get rid of, for Foyle whom they were trying to get last off-season. Getting a better defensive center for the future is even more important now that they probably lost Vasquez for a few seasons. I wont post their lineup because of the miniscule change.

15. Custodianrules2

Not sure if Mihm helps us that much over Foyle, but at least we get rid of some bad contracts. Mihm I think is pretty decent. I'm not sure about his defense, his amount of strength or his rebounding for center, but he's athletic, he can score and he can block shots. It's better than having a 6'11 stiff like the majority of most nba players that are at that size. He could play some power forward in some matchups, I believe.

I do like getting Jumaine Jones, though. Tough defender and he can bomb shots baseline over and over. People won't like him when he's streaky though, but at his contract I'll take it. At least the guy plays defense.

16. Run BJM

Here is another trade that i like:

Memphis Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Lorenzen Wright
    6-11 C from Memphis
    9.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 28.6 minutes
    Incoming

Kelvin Cato
    6-11 C from Iowa State
    Change in team outlook: -2.6 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Kelvin Cato
    6-11 C from Iowa State
    Incoming

Adonal Foyle
    6-10 C from Colgate
    Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Outgoing

Adonal Foyle
    6-10 C from Colgate
    Incoming

Lorenzen Wright
    6-11 C from Memphis
    9.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 28.6 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +5.1 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Memphis, Orlando, and Golden State being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Memphis, Orlando, and Golden State had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I dont know if we would have to send picks to either team but maybe a 2nd to Orlando would seal the deal.

Wright wants out of Memphis because they wont give him an extension, he is probably the best player in the trade but because he demanded a trade his value drops a little. Memphis gets back Cato who is an expiring contract (his contract is about a million bigger than Wright's) he provides better defense but less scoring. They dont lose much scoring production though because they already have Pau in the post.

Orlando has been shopping their expiring centers, they had interest in Foyle last year. Foyle is a big upgrade at shot blocking/altering, if Twardzick is fired when this trade happens then we may need to add in a 2nd round pick.

Golden State gets rid of Foyle and gets Wright. This gives us a veteran post player with a good offensive game. Unfortunately his defense is only average and he wouldn't be able to cover Murphy's man like Foyle does. Wright still gets about a block a game and isn't a much worse on-ball defender than Foyle though. Wright is also an expiring contract but he wants to be re-signed, which we will do if he agrees to the MLE. [​IMG]

17. Custodianrules2

Wright is also a ballhog too!

Well... I dunno if it improves the center spot much because Wright isn't known to do the dirty work, but we get an expiring contract. Is that a good thing? Wright is also a big natural power forward, so if we get Biedrins to play center, it gives us a pretty tall lineup. We can also do Troy Murphy at power forward or center, but he really seems like neither because of the nature of his game.

Too bad we can't rid of ourselves of Fisher. The guy's got talent, but how long do you hold onto him before he's virtually impossible to remove from the roster and get something for him?

Anyway, keep it going Run BJM.

18. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyway, keep it going Run BJM.</div>

Dont mind if i do.

Cleveland Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Eric Snow
    6-3 PG from Michigan State
    4.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 22.8 minutes

Drew Gooden
    6-10 PF from Kansas
    14.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.8 minutes
    Incoming

Brian Skinner
    6-9 PF from Baylor
    2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes

Derek Fisher
    Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -5.5 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Brian Skinner
    6-9 PF from Baylor
    2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes
    Incoming

Drew Gooden
    6-10 PF from Kansas
    14.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.8 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +12.4 ppg, +6.6 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

Outgoing

Derek Fisher
    Incoming

Eric Snow
    6-3 PG from Michigan State
    4.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 22.8 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -7.8 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Successful Scenario

Cleveland gets exactly what it needs in this trade and gets rid of two players who are pretty much useless to them. They swap Snow for Fisher (they have very similar contracts), Fisher plays solid defense and is a good three point shooter. Although Fish isn't a pure PG, Hughes and Lebron can both play point. Then they swap Gooden for Skinner, Skinner can play C or PF and he is a banger with good rebounding skills and good defense. Cleveland fills its biggest holes (3 pt shooting, inside banger/defender) in this trade.

Sacramento trades Skinner for Gooden, Gooden is a much better scorer than Skinner but not as physical inside. He also rebounds very well and should fit in very well with Sacramento's running offense. Gooden is known to be a headcase but sacramento has dealt with Webber and it will probably please Gooden to be close to his home (Oakland). Not to mention they are trading their back-up for a legit starter who is younger, more skilled, and is an expiring contract.

GS trades Fisher for Snow, not a great improvement but Snow plays much beter defense and lobs up less threes. Snow also wont take up Pietrus's minutes at the two which also allows Zarko to play more 3 and Diogu more 4, making the bench players happier with their role on the team. Snow would accept his role as Baron's back-up (sorry guys but GP, Watson, Jay Williams, etc would refuse to play 8-10 MPG behind Baron) and if Baron gets injured he is a good distributer and defender, unlike Fisher. Other minor bonuses are that he could mentor Ellis on how to play defense, he is a big PG, and his contract ends one year earlier than Fisher's which makes 08/09 a huge salary dump to pick up an FA or resign one of our young guys to a fat contract.

19. Custodianrules2

Hey Run, I like that one if I'm the Kings. Especially because Sacramento supposedly tried to go for Antoine Walker or Shareef, right? Gooden is one of those all around guys that be a cheaper version of both of them, until the Kings can have either rebuild through the draft or trade for an upgrade at that spot. Gooden's biggest weakness is he's a tweener and he's inconsistent, but he's still a good talent as far as this year's FA market goes. Then Cleveland also gets a shooter and a guy who can perform in the playoffs, granted they make it this time.

The Warriors get Snow who is a good player in the open court, is known for his defense and plays with passion. His contract ends two years sooner and is a mil or two less than Fisher's. Nice! While I like the point guards being able to shoot from further out, he has a nice midrange J, is bigger than most guards, and he's got playoff experience, I believe, with the Sixers or Milwaukee or both.

Cleveland, I dunno... That's a lot to give up for taking on Fisher. So that's the only part of the trade I'm not sure about.

20. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Cleveland, I dunno... That's a lot to give up for taking on Fisher. So that's the only part of the trade I'm not sure about.</div>

I thought they made out pretty well. I think Fishers contract is only 1 year longer than Snows and right now, Cleveland lacks 3 pt shooting and inside toughness.