The "I'm bored, let's come up with some Foyle/Fish/Dun/Murph trade scenarios" thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought they made out pretty well. I think Fishers contract is only 1 year longer than Snows and right now, Cleveland lacks 3 pt shooting and inside toughness.</div>
    Well, here's where I'm coming from BJM, it's that it would be cool to get something good for Gooden other than Fisher because Gooden is still a double double guy and has some chance to be some team's starter. Cleveland is getting Donyell Marshall and Dan Gilbert really thinks highly of Anderson Varaujo. So it would seem as if Gooden is definitely on his way out, but there's all that value in him that could be at least worth a lottery protected 1rst round draft pick. So basically in the Gooden trade, the Cavs had lost two second round draft picks that might or might not have been something, they lost Tony Battie and gained Varajao, Gooden and Steven Hunter. So of that trade, they've only gained Varajao. I think the Cavs need to get more for losing Gooden other than Fisher + Skinner, if they're also losing Snow. I dunno, it's just a thought. I'm not sure what the Cavs think they can get for Gooden.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, here's where I'm coming from BJM, it's that it would be cool to get something good for Gooden other than Fisher because Gooden is still a double double guy and has some chance to be some team's starter. Cleveland is getting Donyell Marshall and Dan Gilbert really thinks highly of Anderson Varaujo. So it would seem as if Gooden is definitely on his way out, but there's all that value in him that could be at least worth a lottery protected 1rst round draft pick. So basically in the Gooden trade, the Cavs had lost two second round draft picks that might or might not have been something, they lost Tony Battie and gained Varajao, Gooden and Steven Hunter. So of that trade, they've only gained Varajao. I think the Cavs need to get more for losing Gooden other than Fisher + Skinner, if they're also losing Snow. I dunno, it's just a thought. I'm not sure what the Cavs think they can get for Gooden.</div>

I see where you are coming from but i dont think many teams want Gooden because he is soft and has been booted from 2 teams (probably 3 soon). He is also in consistent and most teams have a PF that they would prefer to Gooden. Sacramento is one of the few teams i can think of that would want him, they have Skinner who would fit great with the Cavs and Gooden would do well in the Kings system. Now that i look back at the trade it does look like Sac would have to send at least a 2nd to Cleveland but Skinner seems like a great fit for the cavs who are in search of a Reggie Evans type player.

3. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">I see where you are coming from but i dont think many teams want Gooden because he is soft and has been booted from 2 teams (probably 3 soon). He is also in consistent and most teams have a PF that they would prefer to Gooden. Sacramento is one of the few teams i can think of that would want him, they have Skinner who would fit great with the Cavs and Gooden would do well in the Kings system. Now that i look back at the trade it does look like Sac would have to send at least a 2nd to Cleveland but Skinner seems like a great fit for the cavs who are in search of a Reggie Evans type player.</div>
    True that. Also, I think earlier some fans who studied up on Gooden, said that he has an attitude and an entourage that nobody likes. Inconsistent is right on, though. Softness is right on. It's probably why no team ideally likes to have SF/PF tweeners as starters. They keep getting traded.

I think the best forwards in the game can also play guard, so there is hope for Dunleavy even though he looked awesome at power forward for like 4 games or so. He could be considered a SF/PF because he's like 6'10 now, can rebound, and he just punished the slower power forwards that can only play post defense and not perimeter defense [​IMG] But the dude plays 4 positions, 2 very well considering his role on the team and not just only 1 to 2 out of 2 possible positions like most SF/PF tweeners are held to. I never thought I'd be that excited about Dunleavy in hindsight until I remembered he had shown so far his ability to play point guard and get a 20 point/ 20 rebound game, then show his stuff at power forward for a short while. If Dun can't grow anymore at starting SF, maybe the guy should be a utility bench guy for the future if we could find the ideal glue player replacement that is athletic, can shoot, dribble, pass and defend... Mullin is making that hard though... hopefully the ideal contracts make that possible. Anyway, I ramble and digress yet again...

Good trade. It makes more sense to me now. Keep it coming, Run BJM!

4. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the best forwards in the game can also play guard, so there is hope for Dunleavy even though he looked awesome at power forward for like 4 games or so. He could be considered a SF/PF because he's like 6'10 now, can rebound, and he just punished the slower power forwards that can only play post defense and not perimeter defense [​IMG] But the dude plays 4 positions, 2 very well considering his role on the team and not just only 1 to 2 out of 2 possible positions like most SF/PF tweeners are held to. I never thought I'd be that excited about Dunleavy in hindsight until I remembered he had shown so far his ability to play point guard and get a 20 point/ 20 rebound game, then show his stuff at power forward for a short while. If Dun can't grow anymore at starting SF, maybe the guy should be a utility bench guy for the future if we could find the ideal glue player replacement that is athletic, can shoot, dribble, pass and defend... Mullin is making that hard though... hopefully the ideal contracts make that possible. Anyway, I ramble and digress yet again...</div>

Agreed, I haven't been this excited about Mike since we drafted him. The guy is a legit 3 but can also play some good 4. If what I'm hearing about him getting stronger, especially in the lower body, is true then he could be a great option at the 4 in small lineups. If he keeps his shooting percentage high and keeps getting good assists and rebound numbers then he is defeinitely worth Murphy money. I hope Mullin can package Murph with either Foyle or Fish and get a good veteran player. The 4 spot on this team is geting packed and there is nothing that Murph has that any of our other options dont have. If Ike isnt ready to start we have Zarko, Dunleavy, and Biedrins ready.

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed, I haven't been this excited about Mike since we drafted him. The guy is a legit 3 but can also play some good 4. If what I'm hearing about him getting stronger, especially in the lower body, is true then he could be a great option at the 4 in small lineups. If he keeps his shooting percentage high and keeps getting good assists and rebound numbers then he is defeinitely worth Murphy money. I hope Mullin can package Murph with either Foyle or Fish and get a good veteran player. The 4 spot on this team is geting packed and there is nothing that Murph has that any of our other options dont have. If Ike isnt ready to start we have Zarko, Dunleavy, and Biedrins ready.</div> I thought Mike was pretty strong looking going into year 3, he just needed to play tougher. A guy like that tends to get a lot of knee jerk reactions from fans with the flops and just the lack of toughness to take all that contact going to the hole or defending on the ball.

I think with the added strength, it could help him go on longer in minutes. Maybe his shot not falling in some games and in second halves had to do with lack of conditioning. It is hard to shoot when you don't have your legs and you have to work a lot harder to keep up with faster players. Let's hope the type of strength conditioning he is doing could give him some quick burst of speed and a better body for positioning when playing the angles on perimeter D. I don't know if that's possible to improve the explosiveness he can get from the little amount of twitch muscles he probably has, but I heard you could because of the kinds of excercises, football players do to get quicker with all that weight on them. The added muscle hopefully could give Dunleavy a big 240 lb frame instead of the old 230 or 225 lb one and add power where it counts which is the legs. A guy too top heavy or that doesn't have a solid foundation is going to get knocked around, especially for a guy 6'10, with a higher center of gravity that doesn't have the kind of meat Lebron James or Ron Artest has. I hope he doesn't get too slow, but I'm guessing the goal is to get stronger and faster, rather than just get bigger and add more mass.

It's all my own speculation, but I hope Dunleavy does well in getting better physically.

6. Run BJM

Am I crazy yet? Bear with me here because I have no idea what Chicago needs. Picks can be added as necessary.

Chicago Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Luol Deng
    6-8 SF from Duke
    11.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 27.3 minutes

Antonio Davis
    6-9 PF from Texas-El Paso
    7.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 25.6 minutes
    Incoming

Clarence Weatherspoon
    6-7 SF from Southern Mississippi
    3.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.1 minutes

Calbert Cheaney
    6-7 SF from Indiana
    4.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 17.3 minutes

Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    15.4 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.4 apg in 33.9 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, +4.9 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Charlie Ward
    6-2 PG from Florida State
    5.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.1 apg in 25.7 minutes

Clarence Weatherspoon
    6-7 SF from Southern Mississippi
    3.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.1 minutes
    Incoming

Derek Fisher
    6-1 PG from Arkansas-Little Rock
    11.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.1 apg in 30.0 minutes

Zarko Cabarkapa
    6-11 SF from Serbia-Montenegro
    6.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12.5 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +9.5 ppg, -0.1 rpg, and +1.3 apg.

Golden State Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

Calbert Cheaney
    6-7 SF from Indiana
    4.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 17.3 minutes

Derek Fisher
    6-1 PG from Arkansas-Little Rock
    11.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.1 apg in 30.0 minutes

Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    15.4 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.4 apg in 33.9 minutes

Zarko Cabarkapa
    6-11 SF from Serbia-Montenegro
    6.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 12.5 minutes
    Incoming

Luol Deng
    6-8 SF from Duke
    11.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 27.3 minutes

Antonio Davis
    6-9 PF from Texas-El Paso
    7.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 25.6 minutes

Charlie Ward
    6-2 PG from Florida State
    5.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.1 apg in 25.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -13.8 ppg, -4.8 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

Successful Scenario

Chicago trades a promising young SF and a well-past-his-prime PF and expiring contract. They get back an outside shooting PF who is also a rebounding machine, this opens up their post game and loses no rebounding. They also recieve Weathersopoon and Cheany, two veterans who are also expiring deals to make up for the huge one that they give up. While Chicago does lose their SF they already have Nocioni who is a defensive beast, is strong, and very athletic and they get two vets who can play SF. Chicago also now has a great post game with Curry, outside shooting and rebounding with Murphy, and defense and rebounding with Chandler. They have one of the best frontlines in the NBA now and can match up with the likes of Miami, Detroit, and Indiana.
    New Lineup:
    Hinrich/Pargo
    Grodon/Piatkowski/Basden
    Nocioni/robinson/Weatherspoon/Cheany
    Murphy/Chandler/Harrington
    Curry/Chandler/Murphy

Houston trades Weatherspoon and Ward who produce very little. They get back Fisher and Zarko who produce alot more, this also gives them more options in their lineups, they can put Zarko at the 3 and T-Mac at the 2 or Fisher at the 1 with Sura at the 2. The Rockets do absorb a bad contract so I'm guessing the Warriors would have to throw in their Philly pick (or any of the 7 stockpiled picks).
    New Lineup:
    Fisher/James/Head
    Sura/Wesley/TMac
    TMac/Zarko/Bowen
    Swift/Howard/Bowen
    Yao/Dikembe/Swift

GS trades Murphy, Cheany, Fisher, and Zarko and recieves Deng, Antonio Davis, and Ward. We get rid of two big contracts, a end-of-the-bench veteran, and a versatile young player but get back better defense at the 4 while not losing much rebounding, a promising young 3 who plays good defense and can score, and a decent back-up 1 who wont eat away at Pietrus minutes at the 2. Warriors get a giant expiring deal which would allow us to sign our young guys in the future.
    New Lineup:
    Baron/Ward/Dunleavy/Ellis
    Richardson/Pietrus/Ellis
    Dunleavy/Deng/Pietrus
    A. Davis/Diogu/Biedrins/Taft
    Foyle/Biedrins/A. Davis/Taft

7. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] Antonio Davis is now a VERY pricey 6-9 C who is getting old-scores+ boards less than murphy. Deng is a green,somewhat overrated prospect who per minute does not match Zarko's production. Ward may be cheaper than Fish-is just as overpaid. I won't give 2 good 6-11's,take on Davis + Ward just to lose the Fish.

8. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] Antonio Davis is now a VERY pricey 6-9 C who is getting old-scores+ boards less than murphy. Deng is a green,somewhat overrated prospect who per minute does not match Zarko's production. Ward may be cheaper than Fish-is just as overpaid. I won't give 2 good 6-11's,take on Davis + Ward just to lose the Fish.</div>
    This will be A. Davis' last year which means huge salary dump. That would allow us to resign whoever we chose. A. Davis is also a big upgrade defensively and with Baron giving him some good assists right under the rim his PPG could likely be 10-14 PPG.

I disagree with Deng being less productive than Zarko, Deng is probably as good of a scorer (though not from the 3 pt line) and he plays much better defense and probably at least as good of a rebounder. Zarko is also an odd man out this coming season, he will be the third string SF and likely the 3rd string PF as well. The loss of Murphy and his defense i doubt will have much effect of the teams total rebounding, Foyle would likely improve his rebounding if he didn't have to fly to the opposite side of the key every time Murphy's man beat him. We also have an above average rebounding PG as well as a great rebounding SG. Our defense would be improved without Murphy and Zarko, they are replaced by Davis and Deng/Diogu.

Ward isn't an ideal option to back up Baron but hes cheap and will accept the role as Baron's back-up which frees up more time for Pietrus. How much better of a point guard can we get who will accept playing 10 minutes a game behind Baron? We also retain our MLE and TEs if we need another PG barring an injury to Davis or if Ward plays horribly.

9. Custodianrules2

Wasn't Eddie Robinson waived last year by the Bulls? I just thought it was interesting that he was included in the Bulls rotation for your trade proposal, Run BJM.

I'm going to have to poo-poo this trade as well. Unless we don't think Pietrus is going to re-sign or some team's going to make him an offer we can't match, I'd rather keep the backup SF option open as much as possible. Luol Deng is pretty much the same as Dunleavy with the slowness factor, but without the deep 3 and ballhandling skills. I wouldn't mind getting Antonio Davis and bringing him back for Oakland, but I'd hate to lose Murphy for basically an expiring contract when he's our best defensive rebounder and decent scorer. Plus, I don't see the Bulls making Tyson Chandler or Troy Murphy a bench player.

One reason Houston might not want to do this trade is Fisher costs too much and someone like Damon Jones or Dan Dickau could do the shooting and passing thing for cheaper. Unless Houston really thinks Fish is always going to be better in the playoffs than any other guard for about or under 7 mil, I don't think they'd want Fish for that much. Ward's kind of washed up so that would leave us without a backup, unless we look toward using the renewable MLE again.

Keep it coming, Run BJM [​IMG]

10. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Wasn't Eddie Robinson waived last year by the Bulls? I just thought it was interesting that he was included in the Bulls rotation for your trade proposal, Run BJM.</div>

I dont know as i said in the trade post I'm not familiar with the Bulls roster. I just assumed he was because I hadn't heard anything about him in a while. My guess is that you are right.

11. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    From hoopshype

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    "Speaking of the rumors, the general manager whom I quoted as saying Utah?s Carlos Boozer and Matt Harpring are on the trading block e-mailed to say he stands by his comments. He also chastised me for doubting him in my latest Amico Report. The GM wrote, ?(Utah vice-president of basketball operations) Kevin O?Connor can call me a liar all he wants -- I can guarantee you (Jazz owner) Larry Miller has been talking about the possibility of moving Boozer. Others have told me that he is more than willing to move Harpring, too." The GM angrily added, ?It?s not my fault if Miller doesn?t keep his basketball staff up to date. That?s O?Connor?s problem, not mine." ProBasketballNews.com</div>

This is somewhat intriguing. I'm not sure what slaries would need to be moved, to fit both of these guys in, but they'd both be starters on this team

12. Custodianrules2

I'm down with Harper, above average on offense, pretty good on defense. Boozer over Murphy? hmm... Dunno if there's much difference in terms of D, but Boozer is a beast inside.

13. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I also like Harpring. The way Boozer screwed Cleveland was ugly,and now utah's into dumping him? Somethings fishy.

I don't see Murphy as some overpaid problem to discard for some walkaway contract. Ward may be cheaper now,but there's more talented PG's in the Devo league.
    Personally I don't see Deng as an upgrade over Dunleavy or Pietrus. We pay a lot for Davis while he's here,basically its like bringing back dale davis (but not as tall) back for a season. Do we play him? Ward? Lets hope not. I guess there could be another team dragged into this deal-so we could turn Deng+Davis into someone more useful,but i'd prefer to keep Murphy + Z even if we also keep Fish.

How's this...Fish and 06 #1,#2 '08 to Hawks for Salim Stoudamire and Hawks # 2 in 06,#2 in 08. If we are good,a mid-late rd 1 in the weak 06 is not major. Salim was a HS point,played at Ariz-which sent many PG's to the pros. He's closer than Monta and a pure shooter...and cheap. Atlanta is under cap-needs an experianced PG for their raw young team. [​IMG]