The INDISPUTABLE Truth about Michael Vick

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by DolfanDale, Jul 2, 2005.

1. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

true and Vick had to face the Panthers twice a year and they had a good defense. He also had to play Tampa who had a good defense especially when they won the SB. [​IMG]

2. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>true and Vick had to face the Panthers twice a year.</div>

So, I guess that settles it. In the grand scope of quarterbacking, Vick and Fiedler rank almost identically.

3. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Maybe as passers they aren't that different but as for making big plays Vick wins hands down.

Also Fielder wasn't one game away from the SB ever either and he isn't as young as Vick. Are you telling me you think there is no way that Mike Vick won't improve his passing?

4. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Considering that he is entering his fifth season as a pro, I wouldn't bet on Vick improving, though I guess it's possible. Vick does have great arm strength, but that is soooooooo overrated (see Jim Druckenmiller) that it's not funny. I can remember when Kordell Stewart was the hot, young QB and where is he now? While QBs like McNabb and McNair might have not set the house on fire right away, they have shown a greater inclination to improving as passers quicker than Vick has so far. I do think that if he doesn't show improvement soon then he should switch to HB. The forward pass is too important to not develop some consistancy there. His unorthodox running will only win so many games (and gets credited for far too many wins) and I guarantee that with each passing year defensive coordinators will devise game plans that will shut him down.

I will concede however that Michael Vick is every bit as good as Jay Fiedler.

5. kcgsc

kcgsc Chiefs Enthusiast Extraordinaire

But just barely.

6. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

It's funny how people are rooting for Joey Harrington,Kyle Boller, and hell even Kurt Warner on having great years but when it comes to Mike Vick no one thinks he can have a "breakout year"

7. kcgsc

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny how people are rooting for Joey Harrington,Kyle Boller, and hell even Kurt Warner on having great years but when it comes to Mike Vick no one thinks he can have a "breakout year"</div>

Harrington is a better passer than Vick (albeit not as athletic)

I don't think Boller will have a great year (No greater than any other year)

Kurt Warner already earned his respect (But is a shadow of his former self)

8. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny how people are rooting for Joey Harrington,Kyle Boller, and hell even Kurt Warner on having great years but when it comes to Mike Vick no one thinks he can have a "breakout year"</div>

Harrington, Boller, & Warner are QB's not a RB who lines up immeadiately behind the Center.

The hype that Vick gets is annoying. Hearing how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread year after is getting real old.

9. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

thats true he has a lot of hype, all those nike commericals and endorsements

10. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

From sportsline:

The Falcons have decided to keep Peerless Price and give him a chance to redeem himself for two lackluster seasons since they traded a first-round pick to get him two years ago. But there are some inside the Falcons building who think Price has been open more than his numbers indicate. That means Michael Vick hasn't used him enough. The feeling is that Vick doesn't look to the receivers enough and instead uses tight end Alge Crumpler as his security blanket too much. That was something Price said to me late last season, although he didn't quite come out and blame Vick. Instead, he told me to watch the tapes. Word is those tapes show Price open. So why not give him another shot?

11. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

yea, Price has a lot of talent, he just needs a pocket passer if he want 8 recs a game

12. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The hype that Vick gets is annoying. Hearing how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread year after is getting real old.</div>

Everyone talks about what a great ATHLETE Michael Vick is. I agree. But Lance Armstrong is an amazing ATHLETE, too! That doesn't make him a great NFL Quarterback, though.

All of the comparisons in this thread between Vick and Kordell Stewart are right on, if you ask me. The Brees and Tomlinson trade for Vick is going to go down in history right next to the Herschel Walker trade.

Ouch.

13. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny how people are rooting for Joey Harrington,Kyle Boller, and hell even Kurt Warner on having great years but when it comes to Mike Vick no one thinks he can have a "breakout year"</div>

Harrington, Boller, & Warner are QB's not a RB who lines up immeadiately behind the Center.

The hype that Vick gets is annoying. Hearing how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread year after is getting real old.</div>

I can't believe something like hype would piss someone off about a player. Face it he is a seller. He is exciting to play. I am not from Atlanta so I don't know how it is down there but as long as Vick is winning and the Falcons are in the playoffs with his amazing runs he is going to be hyped up and marketable. That is something people need to learn to deal with. You can't have it your way all the time.

14. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Considering that he is entering his fifth season as a pro, I wouldn't bet on Vick improving, though I guess it's possible. Vick does have great arm strength, but that is soooooooo overrated (see Jim Druckenmiller) that it's not funny. I can remember when Kordell Stewart was the hot, young QB and where is he now? While QBs like McNabb and McNair might have not set the house on fire right away, they have shown a greater inclination to improving as passers quicker than Vick has so far. I do think that if he doesn't show improvement soon then he should switch to HB. The forward pass is too important to not develop some consistancy there. His unorthodox running will only win so many games (and gets credited for far too many wins) and I guarantee that with each passing year defensive coordinators will devise game plans that will shut him down.

I will concede however that Michael Vick is every bit as good as Jay Fiedler.</div>

YES dolfandale finally admitted it's possible he can get better. [​IMG] Kordell Stewart was never ever hyped up as much as Vick was. He was no where near as marketable. The comparisons are there but the TRUTH is they are two different people. It could happen that Vick turns out to be trash but it also couldn't. You can't predict the future of the NFL. Seems like some people are worried that there passers(meaning white QB's) are going to be replaced with the new athlete of QB(running type QB's). Again you can't say that Vick will end up like Stewart since they aren't the same person.

15. kcgsc

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>passers(meaning white QB's)</div>

That's some serious stereotyping there. Warren Moon wasn't white, but he could sling a football like nobody's business.

16. kcgsc

Not to mention Steve Young and Mark Brunell (who were white), who showed penchants for scrambling out of trouble and running with the ball.

17. crazybacon

crazybacon nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kcgsc)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>passers(meaning white QB's)</div>

That's some serious stereotyping there. Warren Moon wasn't white, but he could sling a football like nobody's business.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kcgsc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Not to mention Steve Young and Mark Brunell (who were white), who showed penchants for scrambling out of trouble and running with the ball.</div></div>

don't forget their predecessors, Tarkenton & Staubach...but they stayed in the pocket til it collapsed and then ran, usually to buy time to find an open receiver...and Randall Cunningham became a better QB when he started throwing the ball more...as for my teams QB being replaced by the "new athlete of QB", he was backup to Brooks, a quasi "new athlete of QB", and all Delhomme has done since being a starter at Carolina is lead them to a Super Bowl...New Orleans has one playoff appearance and win with Brooks...if my team needs an elusive QB with an arm like Staubach, Young, or even Cunningham, then go for it, but in the meantime, i will take Delhomme over any "new athlete of QB" in the league, any of them

18. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I agree I think it is a shame that more and more teams are looking at QB's that can scramble. As for sterotyping I didn't mean anything by it. Look at the college in recruiting QB's now. Outside of Leinart there is no pure passer coming out next year.

19. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.

20. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.</div>

Hard to agree with that when a "true" scrambler has never won a championship. Only one who was close was Young, but he was at point where he hardly ran at all then, and only relied on his arm.