The INDISPUTABLE Truth about Michael Vick

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by DolfanDale, Jul 2, 2005.

1. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.</div>

Hard to agree with that when a "true" scrambler has never won a championship. Only one who was close was Young, but he was at point where he hardly ran at all then, and only relied on his arm.</div>

WOW Hell has just frozen over. I agree with BF1. Pocket Passers usually win SB's. I am sure one day a scrambling QB wins the SB but right now guys like Brady,Favre, Manning are our SB type QB's.

2. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.</div>

Hard to agree with that when a "true" scrambler has never won a championship. Only one who was close was Young, but he was at point where he hardly ran at all then, and only relied on his arm.</div>

WOW Hell has just frozen over. I agree with BF1. Pocket Passers usually win SB's. I am sure one day a scrambling QB wins the SB but right now guys like Brady,Favre, Manning are our SB type QB's.</div>

Of course the pocket passers usually win the SB's thats because up until recently that has been what the QB position was all about. It is changing though, and I see the future being more of a scrambling type QB, or the hybrid. I'm not talking about Vick either (although he could one day be a great example of the hybrid) I'm talking about a McNabb or Culpepper type QB with the ability to scramble and make plays when necessary but still relying mostly on their passing ability to get things done.

3. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

WOW Hell has just frozen over. I agree with BF1. Pocket Passers usually win SB's.</div>

Of course the pocket passers usually win the SB's</div>

Not usually, always. As in a pocket passer has won every super bowl.

4. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>

WOW Hell has just frozen over. I agree with BF1. Pocket Passers usually win SB's.</div>

Not usually, always. As in a pocket passer has won every super bowl.</div>

That can change though. Look at McNabb he isn't a pure pocket passer, he's more of a hybrid and if it wasn't for his choking problem he would have had the SB last season.

5. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I doubt McNabb's choking problems had to do with them loosing the SB. Patroits were the better team. I do see the future having a scrambler win the SB but back in the old school days there were plenty of QB's who scrambled all the time.

6. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>

That can change though. Look at McNabb he isn't a pure pocket passer, he's more of a hybrid and if it wasn't for his choking problem he would have had the SB last season.</div>

It can change. It hasnt though, so the statement usually is innaccurate. if you subsitute always then it is. It is important to note that mcnabb didnt scramble once in super bowl and hardly ever runs anymore and has become pocket passer, so even if he had won . . .

7. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

McNabb and Culpepper are considered dual threat QB's. Meaning they aren't exactly pocket passers. They can run or throw. So I will say your statement above is inaccurate there but I do agree with you until a couple dual threat QB's win a SB, A pure pocket passer is the championship type of QB.

8. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

That can change though. Look at McNabb he isn't a pure pocket passer, he's more of a hybrid and if it wasn't for his choking problem he would have had the SB last season.</div>

It can change. It hasnt though, so the statement usually is innaccurate. if you subsitute always then it is. It is important to note that mcnabb didnt scramble once in super bowl and hardly ever runs anymore and has become pocket passer, so even if he had won . . .</div>

True. If you compare McNabb's rushing stats to other pocket passers such as Manning, Brady or Favre there is quite a difference though. McNabb is still a hybrid, he has the ability to make plays with his legs as well as his arm. The pure pocket passers really don't have the option of the run.

9. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>

It can change. It hasnt though, so the statement usually is innaccurate. if you subsitute always then it is. It is important to note that mcnabb didnt scramble once in super bowl and hardly ever runs anymore and has become pocket passer, so even if he had won . . .</div>

True. If you compare McNabb's rushing stats to other pocket passers such as Manning, Brady or Favre there is quite a difference though. McNabb is still a hybrid, he has the ability to make plays with his legs as well as his arm. The pure pocket passers really don't have the option of the run.</div>

Read Porky's post above yours. Dual threat QB. That is what McNabb is.

10. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

True. If you compare McNabb's rushing stats to other pocket passers such as Manning, Brady or Favre there is quite a difference though. McNabb is still a hybrid, he has the ability to make plays with his legs as well as his arm. The pure pocket passers really don't have the option of the run.</div>

Read Porky's post above yours. Dual threat QB. That is what McNabb is.</div>

Yeah, I know. That's what I said too, he's a hybrid QB or dual threat if thats what you want to call it.

11. Bearsfan1

Not true, he only carried 41 times last year, the average # of carries by Qbs per team last year was 39. He is not a dual threat anymore, just a regular pocket passer, who occasional scrambles when his recievers dont get open

12. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

He still ran for over 200 yards and 3 TD's and is still a THREAT as a scrambler. Which means he is a dual threat QB.

13. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Considering that he is entering his fifth season as a pro, I wouldn't bet on Vick improving, though I guess it's possible. Vick does have great arm strength, but that is soooooooo overrated (see Jim Druckenmiller) that it's not funny. I can remember when Kordell Stewart was the hot, young QB and where is he now? While QBs like McNabb and McNair might have not set the house on fire right away, they have shown a greater inclination to improving as passers quicker than Vick has so far. I do think that if he doesn't show improvement soon then he should switch to HB. The forward pass is too important to not develop some consistancy there. His unorthodox running will only win so many games (and gets credited for far too many wins) and I guarantee that with each passing year defensive coordinators will devise game plans that will shut him down.

I will concede however that Michael Vick is every bit as good as Jay Fiedler.</div>

YES dolfandale finally admitted it's possible he can get better. [​IMG] Kordell Stewart was never ever hyped up as much as Vick was. He was no where near as marketable. The comparisons are there but the TRUTH is they are two different people. It could happen that Vick turns out to be trash but it also couldn't. You can't predict the future of the NFL. Seems like some people are worried that there passers(meaning white QB's) are going to be replaced with the new athlete of QB(running type QB's). Again you can't say that Vick will end up like Stewart since they aren't the same person.</div>

First, I said it's possible that Vick MIGHT improve but I wouldn't bet on it. Second, don't dare play the race card and attribute it to me. I believe I said early on that Vick wasn't a real QBs like McNabb, McNair or Culpepper. I've also said that there's nothing wrong with a QB that a threat to run, however I think it would be foolish to throw away the forward pass in favor of a high risk/low reward ball hogging that produces a few highlights and peddles a few jerseys. The TRUTH is that Vick is JUST LIKE Steward except he has better running skills. The TRUTH is that Vick and Stewart are products of the NFL hype machine that have been showered with unearned accolades and will be forgotten as soon as the hype fades and the NFL finds another uber-athlete to prostitute. Until these so-called athletes start averaging 250 - 300 rushing yards a game, I'm not worried about incompentant passers replacing quarterbacks who can throw the football. For the record, I consider QBs like Donte Culpepper and Steve Young to be better all-around athletes than Vick or Stewart because they can run AND pass.

14. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Seems like some people are worried that there passers(meaning white QB's) are going to be replaced with the new athlete of QB(running type QB's). Again you can't say that Vick will end up like Stewart since they aren't the same person.</div>

Wow...any chance you had for respect for you or your posts is now gone in my book...

15. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.</div>

Ya...thats why brady has won 3 of 4.....I can't understand how you can even believe that statement...

Oh and as for McNabbs choking...please Who's to say he was going to do anything with that final drive...even when they called a play they couldn't get it going...so the no huddle was going to do what? We were the better team pure and simple...

16. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

you overwhelmed the eagles. The entire eagles team quit after the 3rd quarter. McNabb was the only one that looked like he knew they could win. I dont think that super bowl was that good. The Panther-Patriot one was so much fun to watch, because he started slow and then became like a shoot out.

17. Pats37

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>you overwhelmed the eagles. The entire eagles team quit after the 3rd quarter. McNabb was the only one that looked like he knew they could win. I dont think that super bowl was that good. The Panther-Patriot one was so much fun to watch, because he started slow and then became like a shoot out.</div>

I went to both and totally agree that SB XXXVIII was much better in terms of pure entertainment and just overall play...though I wish we didn't lose both of our safties in that game...definitely a big reason you were able to just pump it down the middle of the field on that last drive to tie it...but at the same time I was in the endzone were the game winner was kicked...and thats a moment I'll never forget..so I can't complain.

18. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Considering that he is entering his fifth season as a pro, I wouldn't bet on Vick improving, though I guess it's possible. Vick does have great arm strength, but that is soooooooo overrated (see Jim Druckenmiller) that it's not funny. I can remember when Kordell Stewart was the hot, young QB and where is he now? While QBs like McNabb and McNair might have not set the house on fire right away, they have shown a greater inclination to improving as passers quicker than Vick has so far. I do think that if he doesn't show improvement soon then he should switch to HB. The forward pass is too important to not develop some consistancy there. His unorthodox running will only win so many games (and gets credited for far too many wins) and I guarantee that with each passing year defensive coordinators will devise game plans that will shut him down.

I will concede however that Michael Vick is every bit as good as Jay Fiedler.</div>

YES dolfandale finally admitted it's possible he can get better. [​IMG] Kordell Stewart was never ever hyped up as much as Vick was. He was no where near as marketable. The comparisons are there but the TRUTH is they are two different people. It could happen that Vick turns out to be trash but it also couldn't. You can't predict the future of the NFL. Seems like some people are worried that there passers(meaning white QB's) are going to be replaced with the new athlete of QB(running type QB's). Again you can't say that Vick will end up like Stewart since they aren't the same person.</div>

First, I said it's possible that Vick MIGHT improve but I wouldn't bet on it. Second, don't dare play the race card and attribute it to me. I believe I said early on that Vick wasn't a real QBs like McNabb, McNair or Culpepper. I've also said that there's nothing wrong with a QB that a threat to run, however I think it would be foolish to throw away the forward pass in favor of a high risk/low reward ball hogging that produces a few highlights and peddles a few jerseys. The TRUTH is that Vick is JUST LIKE Steward except he has better running skills. The TRUTH is that Vick and Stewart are products of the NFL hype machine that have been showered with unearned accolades and will be forgotten as soon as the hype fades and the NFL finds another uber-athlete to prostitute. Until these so-called athletes start averaging 250 - 300 rushing yards a game, I'm not worried about incompentant passers replacing quarterbacks who can throw the football. For the record, I consider QBs like Donte Culpepper and Steve Young to be better all-around athletes than Vick or Stewart because they can run AND pass.</div>

When did I play the race card with you??????????????????
    Stop putting words in my mouth......

19. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats37)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think its a shame that more teams are looking for the QB with the scrambling ability. It leaves you with more options, and by the looks of things scrambling is turning into the future of the QB position.</div>

Ya...thats why brady has won 3 of 4.....I can't understand how you can even believe that statement...

Oh and as for McNabbs choking...please Who's to say he was going to do anything with that final drive...even when they called a play they couldn't get it going...so the no huddle was going to do what? We were the better team pure and simple...</div>

The fact is the Patroits were the better team and the better team won. Like it should be.

20. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>When did I play the race card with you??????????????????
    Stop putting words in my mouth......</div>

You played the race card when you said,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Seems like some people are worried that there passers(meaning white QB's) are going to be replaced with the new athlete of QB(running type QB's).</div>

Those are words you put in your own mouth. The TRUTH is that this hybrid argument is a steaming pile. There have always been a few QBs around the league that can make plays with their feet. That doesn't make them a hybrid. Culpepper ran for just over 400 yards but he threw for over 4,700 yards. Does 4,700 passing yards versus 400 rushing yards sound balanced to you? Donovan McNabb had 3,875 passing yards versus 220 rushing yards. Is that balance? This hybrid argument needs much improvement to even be remotely plausable. I give the hybrid argument an F.