The Leafs thread

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by shookem, Jun 24, 2007.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

So JFJ traded away a few more picks in a package deal with the Sharks on draft day. At the time of the 13th pick both Alexei Cherpano and Angelo Esposito were available, two guys that I had going in the top ten. Granted, a lot of teams passed on these players so there may be something behind that but I would have been happy walking away from draft day with either one of those prospects.</p>

Instead we got Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell. I don't have a thing against either of these guys, expect I guess that Bell rediscovers his game and can get back to the 45 point mark. I think the Leafs should look to run a two goalie system at least until Vesa makes Raycroft look tre soft. I dunno, Razor played too many games last year and while I don't want to make excuses for the guy, he was thrown into the fire, hopefully he bounces back this season. Bell had 83 PIM last year and would be fourth on the Leafs list (McCabe, Belak, Gill) or fifth is Tuck had of played one more shift.</p>
    The trade certainly makes the team better than the where the day before but can the Leafs afford not to be drafting top prospects? (although the did grab a few nice players). I guess finishing three points out a sixth place with one of the most man-games lost to injury has the bigwigs thinking they're pretty close... Expect they missed the playoffs the year before that too.

2. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

HOPEFULLY the Leafs can make it back into the playoffs this coming season, watching playoff hockey just gives me goosebumps once the puck drops. Anyways I think one of our biggest problems last season was goaltending and defense, especially when we were holding onto leads we let alot of games slip in the 3rd period even when we were up 2-3 goals but hopefully that can change with Toskala in net. I predict we finally sqeek into the playoffs as a 8th or 7th seed if everyone stays healthy.In terms of our prospects, drafting Cherpano or Esposito definitly would have been nice but the Leafs always have to put a competitive team on the ice and I cant really see the Leafs ever rebuilding just becuase thats the type of franchise we are. Anyways with the trade we can stay competitive and pull a cinderalla story like the Oilers and Flames did years ago. So yeah back to the prospects, we have alot of very talented prospects who will probably play for the Leafs next season like Tlutsy who we drafted last season definitly looks like a promising winger and the signing of Kulemin a brusing power forward from Russia definitly puts a smile on my face. If you want to read up on our prospects click on the link below...so yeah if we held onto the 13th pick this season we would be adding alot of depth into our already packed pool of prospects so in my opinion it was an expendable pick which just made us better for the upcoming season. </p>

</p>

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...id=335742</p>

3. The Fugitive

The Fugitive Member

The Peca saga is finally over! I am glad that he is no longer a part of the Leafs picture. Peca was a great player but his injuries made it a risk, sure the PK would be better with him on the team, but I would rather see the team work on it during the begining of the season then have it lost if/when Peca goes down and have to scramble.</p>

A good non move by Fergy. </p>

4. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

I dunno, how much did he sign for? I know it was a one year deal so there isn't a ton of risk attached to it. Either way it won't stop the team from doing much this year.

5. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

Even though he only signed a 1 year contact with the Jackets this still opens up a roster spot on the Leafs for a prospect to step in a learn the NHL game so departing with Peca wasnt really that big of a loss in my mind, I would rather have some youngster step in a showcase his talent rather then have Peca play and be a liability on the offensive end.

6. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MosDefinitely)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even though he only signed a 1 year contact with the Jackets this still opens up a roster spot on the Leafs for a prospect to step in a learn the NHL game so departing with Peca wasnt really that big of a loss in my mind, I would rather have some youngster step in a showcase his talent rather then have Peca play and be a liability on the offensive end.</div></p>

Ok, fist off, who is this Leafs prospect that isn't already on team that is suddendly ready to step in?</p>

Second, while I agree with the idea of playing young players when your taem hasn't made the playoffs in two years this contrasts with what JFJ has set up for the team. Look at the moves over the offseaspn. Do you see any reason to think this team isn't trying to make the playoffs this year? And thus a superb penalty killer and faceoff guy like Peca could've been kinda useful.</p>

</p>

Make no mistake, this move has nothing to do with a youth movement (assuming there's someone to call up) and everything to do with the cap.</p>

</p>

7. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

Oh im not saying that JFJ didnt sign Peca because he wants to develop our prospects, it was really just an idea. Also with the addition of Bell and Blake in the offseason were going to have to open up roster spots anyways so if you sign Peca are you gonna send someone like Pohl down to our farm team just to make room? Im just trying to make light of the loss of Peca to some who think he is important to our team, in my opinion we just wasted a year with him and I thought he was outplayed by the majority of our players. Anyways best of luck to him with the Jackets.

8. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

I don't think anyone can say he was that important to the team. He didn't play much last year.