The Lillard Blazers peaked 2 seasons ago

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 6, 2021.

1. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

I wasn’t disagreeing that we’d likely get worse. My point was that as far as Dame is concerned we’re gonna get worse anyway. Most players peak in the 26-30 range. Dame’s last season BPM was not as good as his prior two, though that could easily be due to variance or injury. Anyway it would be rare to peak much beyond 30 and it would be normal if Dame peaked two seasons ago.

So we can keep Dame and be better for a 2-3 seasons and then get not much for him or we can trade him and be worse for 2-3 seasons but after that we’d be better because we got some young value for him.

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Bump.

Although I'm ready to give up CJ much sooner than originally stated, given current obvious ball-stopping. Just getting value for him continues to be the problem. At this point anyone who offers a pick jumps to the front of the line.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  3. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I never thought we’d be back after 1992 finals. That team had run its course.

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    But it was a pretty precipitous decline...

5. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was just so bummed and felt we had given 3 shots at it and failed. I didn’t have much hope after 2000 either. I had legit hope in 2019. I thought we’d beat the Warriors. I could see the parade in my head.

6. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    UPDATE: he didn't and they weren't.

7. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Curious if you're still thinking this.

8. tiredhunter

tiredhunter Well-Known Member

Well, this team certainly isn't doing better than the WCF, And if the roster can't be fixed, I'm hoping for a lottery pick this year.

Mostly still rather have Dame than some nebulous future draft picks. Don't regret not cashing in on this draft class, and think the teams that stocked up on picks (while still early) haven't done enough for me to envy them. The abdomen injury haunting him makes it a tougher sell that he is a breath away from transcendence, but it doesn't take it off the board. It is clear the team is currently broken, so everything is on the table. It is also clear that at least one of Dame, CJ, Norm or Ant needs to go before the trade deadline to make Ants extension not stupid. I would still start with any roster shakeup with CJ(and at this point, would take bad contracts, and not be looking for value), because I think a Dame/Norm/Little/Nance/Nurk starting lineup would give a damn, and be balanced enough not to get down every 1st quarter.

9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Good question!

(And no, this is not me.)