The Mystery of the NBA Team That Billions Can’t Buy

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Portland2014, Jun 4, 2023.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    That's probably a good reason right there. He IS a big fan of Portland though. Not being a huge fan of the team may keep him from over-valuing our players as well.

AldoTrapani and Phatguysrule like this.
  2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I'm not saying everything is perfect, but they're trying to set a course for a major turnaround.
    That's fine and dandy. Unless they're wearing Nike's of course.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You've referenced this a few times in this thread, but I'm not sure where that information is coming from. Is that referenced in the article or somewhere else?

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Don't cringe too hard when you see this link.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-digging-up-bones-in-the-trail

• That said, I had an interesting conversation two weeks ago with a source at Vulcan, Inc. There’s apparently another reason for Jody to slow-play the liquidation of her brother’s estate — she is collecting a management fee to be trustee. Unlike Kolde, Jody Allen won’t make a dime when the NBA team is sold. But In the state of Washington, trustees are allowed to take a reasonable annual fee. The figures vary, but I checked with a couple of estate attorneys who told me it wouldn’t be unusual to see a trustee annually collect 3-5 percent of the value of the estate to manage the trust. Let’s assume the Blazers are worth $3 billion. Jody could reasonably collect $90 million to 150 million per year on the team’s value alone. Could this help explain why she’s not in a hurry?

• Jody Allen may posture as though she’s heavily involved and interested in the Trail Blazers, but we all know better. Multiple ex-team executives tell me she didn’t show much interest in the NBA franchise while Paul was alive. She even sometimes chided her brother for spending so lavishly on the team. I’m told she’s far more interested in the NFL’s Seahawks, but let’s extinguish the possibility that she’s holding Portland’s NBA franchise in a chokehold because she loves it dearly. She doesn’t.

• Jody Allen’s track record isn’t a great one and I’m thinking the NBA commissioner can’t be comfortable with her as the “acting owner” of the franchise. In 2012, body guards claimed in sworn depositions that Jody sexually harassed them, purchasing tight, Euro-cut swim trunks and allegedly requesting they perform a “fashion show” for her. The guards claimed under oath that she directed them to smuggle animal bones out of Africa and Antarctica. At least 15 ex-members of the personal security detail filed civil suits against the Allen family, with more than a dozen settling out of court. The Allen family attorneys called the accusations “meritless.” USDA records, however, reveal that inspectors destroyed 72 pounds of giraffe bones belonging to Vulcan, Inc.

5. Natebishop3

What flexibility? Provide examples. If anything it hurt our flexibility because we don't have any contracts to include in trades.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

So, speculation from a muckraker? Got it.

HailBlazers, RR7 and e_blazer like this.
  7. Natebishop3

They're trying to improve the team to a point. They won't go past the luxury tax. They keep making moves that don't make sense from a winning standpoint, but they make perfect sense if you're trying to save money.

8. Natebishop3

I don't think her fee is speculation. The motives would definitely be speculation, but collecting 3-5% per year is a hell of a motive to not sell.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I heard a podcast where the guy said Jody gets 190 million a year from the team but won't get a penny from the sale..(I think hoopsjock was the guest) .she's already worth 24 plus billion...might be 27 by now..she sold all Paul's Beverly hills properties including the mansion and music studio and last 100 acres of undeveloped land in Hollywood...she sold the yacht and submarine as well. Jody isn't hurting for money whether she sells the team or not. I read that Paul Allen's beef with Phil was political...Phil pumps tons of money into the republican party in Oregon and I don't think Paul liked that at all.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I know that. I have an estate trust.

riverman likes this.
  11. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Classic Clownzano. Used to listen to his Bald face Truth show. It was OK. But like Jaynes, it's totally from a opinion of the way he feels. I get it , that's what he gets paid to do. But his opinions aren't anymore truthful, than ours. Like the political atmosphere in our country, the truth is rarely told. It's instead, bended to go along with our individual thinking. That is what i get from this column.

12. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Well read the rest of my post I wasn't pushing for any of that. I said those actions which normally could pressure owners doesn't matter at all in this situation as it doesn't actually force anything from Jody.

13. Natebishop3

Like I said, the comments about her motivation are speculation, but I don't think you can dispute the fee she's collecting and that is a hell of a reason to keep the team as long as possible.

14. PtldPlatypus

The fee is absolutely speculation. Re-read that paragraph.
    • "There's apparently another reason..."
    • "Trustees are allowed..."
    • "The figures vary..."
    • "It wouldn't be unusual..."
    • "Let's assume..."
    • "Jody could reasonably..."
    If he had any actual, credible, verifiable information, he'd present it as such. He doesn't, so he didn't.

RR7 likes this.
  15. Natebishop3

I guess he could be lying "I had an interesting conversation two weeks ago with a source at Vulcan, Inc. There’s apparently another reason for Jody to slow-play the liquidation of her brother’s estate — she is collecting a management fee to be trustee."

16. PtldPlatypus

The speculation is on the amount of her fee, not its existence. And of course, unnamed source, no further information from the source. It's a little nugget, blown up into a mountain of assumption.

17. Natebishop3

Oh yeah, totally, we will probably never know. But it's the presence of a fee that is intriguing. Unless it's a flat rate, any percentage is going to be a fairly substantial amount of money.

18. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

If 75% of the owners vote to have Jody removed the NBA will remove her. But I don't see that happening unless she's an absolute idiot.

19. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Theres never going to be public proof of this any more than your personal paycheck will be broadcast. Its a private company and private trust.

With so many leaks of these amounts, Jody's behavior, and the teams actions its the most logical reasonable conclusion.

20. Natebishop3

Well, they mentioned in one of those articles that the team has to be sold if it is moved to a trust. Not sure how that works, or how much time the estate has to make the sale.