The myth of Lillard Time

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Mar 21, 2016.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This idea of isolating Dame up top to finish games is getting increasingly annoying. His stats indicate that his high USG in late game situations is not warranted. His shot late last night was another of many attempts that Terry gives Dame where Lillard has come up incredibly empty.

Here are the numbers.

In situations when we are up or down 3, with less than a minute left in the 4th or OT, here are Dame's numbers in his career (both regular season and playoffs).

Year 1: 6/17 -- 35% -- Our best was Aldridge at 10/21, Wes was 6/10
    Year 2: 12/28 -- 43% -- he was BY FAR our best this year. Aldridge was 5/20
    Year 3: 6/21 -- 29% -- Next closest guy with attempts was Aldridge. He had 8 and hit 4 all season.
    Year 4: 6/17-- 35%-- 0/7 on threes, and counting. CJ is 4/10 overall.

So that's 30/83 in 4 seasons, or 36% FG with a healthy # of those attempts coming from 3. Enough sample size to indicate that Dame's clutch gene is more of a myth than reality. As a comparison, here are the best players in this situation this season: http://bkref.com/tiny/X8wYd

For a guy who seemingly believes in %'s and efficiency stats so much, Terry does very little to actually run a play in crunch time. Hell, even a little off-ball movement to move the defense around would do wonders. Instead, we get an iso again and again and 4 guys standing around. This would be OK if Dame actually came through nearly enough times to warrant this privilege.

Here are BRoy's numbers in that same situation:
    Year 1: 10/22
    Year 2: 7/23 -- Outlaw was 8/9 that season!
    Year 3: 13/23
    Year 4: 8/18
    Year 5: 6/12

( I hope this thread comes up a few weeks/months from now and blows up in my face after Dame hits consecutive buzzer beaters).

(Sidebar 2: I really wish I could find points per possession stats in these situations. This doesn't take into account FTs and points generated overall, just FG%)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    jlprk, Draco, UKRAINEFAN and 4 others like this.
  2. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I miss BRoy... :(

illmatic99 likes this.
  3. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

yeah why you gotta throw in Roy's stats.....(a single tear rolls down my cheek)

4. illmatic99

Just a comparison. Was looking through our team's recent history. Roy's #s really stand out.

5. cardova08

cardova08 Active Member

Wow, 0/7 from 3? I think if Dirk would have stayed in the game, they would have tried to switch to get Dirk on Dame and we would have most likely seen a better shot. I don't have a problem with letting your best player take a shot at the end of the game, almost every team in the NBA does the exact same thing. My problem is that the shot Dame took is such a low percentage shot in the first place, combined with the numbers posted above and it was a pretty disappointing way to end the game.
    I think Dame is still in the process of learning how to become a leader. Remember all of those years when Lebron wasn't considered a clutch player? Then eventually he improved his game enough where he is a great 4th quarter player. I don't think that the clutch gene is something that you either have or you don't so I'm not worried that he won't improve late in games.

Darkwebs and illmatic99 like this.
  6. illmatic99

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/not-his-watch-damian-lillard-says-he-wont-allow-blazers-miss-playoffs

Think with your brain, Terry. Not your heart.

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think part of the problem is that we just don't have very many threats on the floor and the other team KNOWS he's going to be the guy to put up shots at the end. He can't get his own shot in the same way that Roy could. BRoy could just post up or rise above his defender. Dame has to create separation to get his shot off, which isn't always easy.

TBpup, BBert, Darkwebs and 2 others like this.
  8. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

I agree with this thread. Good job

9. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

This is like when people pulled up the stats "oh yeah, Kobe isn't clutch".

Most prime time franchise players probably aren't because they are volume shooters if the game is close. Won't be too worried about this, overall its usually a net positive.

10. ChadWick

ChadWick Portland's All-Star

Student
    I'm so sick of it.

I love Lillard, but man anytime I sit and think about it. I just miss the fuck out of B Roy. One of favorite players to watch ever.

*tears stream down face* lol

11. Natebishop3

12. Natebishop3

Seriously though.... this fanbase sometimes....

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Why don't people understand this? It is basic strategy to make sure you shoot at the buzzer in that situation. Win or OT. So Lillard runs down clock and shoots at the buzzer. This is better than running a play and scoring and/or missing with time left on the clock, giving the other team a chance to win in regulation. Stotts is making the right call here. Has nothing to do with 'Dame Time" (hitting 5 threes in a row vs OKC) and everything to do with good clock management. Learn the game, then post.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    CJ hit the game tying shot vs Washington. Dame isn't the only option. CJ also won the game for us in Memphis this season. CJ Time is a thing.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Also Roy never won a playoff series. Yes he was hurt at times but he was healthy in 2009, he had HCA (the only time since 2000) and a healthy LMA and Oden.

dviss1 and Tunchi like this.
  16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Great job!

Taking into account FTs would be hard because intentional fouls should be excluded. There also should be a big difference with clutch plays inside of 24 seconds and the game tied. At that point the concern is about having the final shot and less about the quality of the shot. It's hard to quantify all those different situations.

17. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Obviously the team should try to get the last shot off in a tie game. But Dame can create his own shot from all over the court; a fading 3 pointer well behind the line isn't the best option at the end. He could've easily started driving and done a jab step just behind the free throw line and got a better midrange look. Usually you don't want to shoot long 2's because stand a step back and you get an extra point. At the end of a tie game that extra point is worthless.

In the heat of the moment Dame didn't make the best decision. Sometimes that happens. I expect him to learn from it. Its something he rightly can be criticized for. It doesn't make him a bad player or us bad fans it's just one play that didn't work out well.

Darkwebs and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  18. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

That's It!
    Trade Damian Lillard!
    I just can't take it any more!
    :evilfire:

dviss1 likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

He's the hero Portland deserves, but not the one we need right now.

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Do you think Damian plays the game as Stotts would have it? Or his he calling the shots because of his privileged position?