OT The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 29, 2019.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

this is a pandora's box that will blow up college athletics, and I think the laws of unintended consequences will tear apart anything that hasn't been blown up,

if NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements, they will need agents and the NCAA can't prohibit it. With agents involved, shit will be hitting the fan at mach 4. Athletes with any kind of star potential will be steered to universities that have market share potential. Why would a star go to Corvallis or Pullman or Eugene when he can go to LA or the Bay Area or Dallas or South Florida? Count the major car dealerships in Eugene and then multiply by 120 for LA

boosters will be able to funnel money to athletes in a million different ways, and the swamp of corruption and rivers of bag money will be broad and deep. Hundreds of LLC's will be created just to act as conduits between booster money and athletes pockets....there's no way to stop it

not only that, what about the impact on high schools? How are they going to stop high school players from signing with agents while still in high school? The national letter of intent days for football are in December and February. If a high school athlete is prohibited from having representation while still in high school then they won't be signing with any NCAA program until they graduate. And college programs will be stuck in limbo.

Hoopguru and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  2. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Unless, it's Pete Rose who really needs the $$.?

riverman likes this.
  3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You couldn't show the play(s) with the girls flashing their boobs in the World Series? Now that was a great play!

riverman likes this.
  4. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Do you guys work for the NCAA? I don't think anything will really change other than "mo money, mo problems".

stampedehero and BonesJones like this.
  5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    There's almost no competitive balance in major college sports now. So I don't think we should be concerned about it getting worse, though it probably will.

I am more and more of the opinion that college sports should just get tossed out of the way anyways. Let the G-Leagues and developmental leagues do their thing and give kids an option of if their good enough just go do that. No more fake classes to get them to pass, no more pretending it's amateur football or basketball, or whatever sport. I think it's time to just ditch the whole system, and I kind of think this is a good step in that direction. This is both a step that the NCAA was going to have to make eventually and a step that I hope helps bring it towards the end.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    stampedehero and BonesJones like this.
  6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I think youre heavily underrating the profitability of regional marketting.

hoopsjock likes this.
  7. BonesJones

I'm just excited for NCAA video games to come back!

8. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I will say NCAA Football and Basketball was fun back in the day.

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Once again, we're talking about a very, very, very small amount of college athletes that get drafted and go on to make millions. No one is forcing schools to sign players that are only going to be there short term. I happen to think there is a lot of value in both getting an education and playing sports for most of the athletes at these schools.

BonesJones likes this.
  10. BonesJones

Imagine if players can actually be named and facescanned? And you could make a college myplayer and import him into 2K... itd be amazing.

hoopsjock likes this.
  11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Have you seen the facilities at Oregon, LSU, etc compared to Corvallis...for example? 4 star guys with a choice are choosing those schools over less funded schools already.

What's really the difference?

hoopsjock and riverman like this.
  12. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

How long until Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman launch their "athlete likeness representative" careers?

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Exactly!

There will still be the same amount of scholarships so those schools won't be able to sign any more players than they already do. Plus, if you're a good player do you want to split the pie with 20 other 4 star kids (or more) or go somewhere will you will be the top draw and the focus of all the attention? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure it's not going to be a situation where everyone who plays for Alabama is going to make like hundreds of thousands of dollars.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The G league needs upgraded...better arenas, facilities, transportation and paychecks...going to a G league franchise should have as much razzle dazzle as a major university does...even more. If talent starts going there without the one and done college system, they might start to draw crowds to G league games...