Zombie The Next Siakam? Don't Sleep On Zach Collins.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Lillards 3 is completely broken right now

2. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    At least once every game, Zach gets an offensive rebound, pump fakes, goes up, gets blocked, and the ball goes off his hands out of bounds.

Every. Freaking. Game.

3. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Then we had two times in a minute in the third quarter today when he was knocking rebounds out of teammates' hands.

4. Labinot41

Richardson gonna end our season

5. Labinot41

Ups, wrong thread

6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

A Zach / CJ trade offer might be appealing to someone. Not sure what ZC does well. He’s really young and I’m sure will improve but if they want Lillard to have the best opportunity to win big they don’t have time to wait on Zach.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I never said they were the same type of player, at all.

8. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

And really most of the video was Zags practice video. Seems like you missed the statement. "Now the OVERALL PREMISE that he could take a 3rd year jump i agree with." "Even Hope For".
    Or did you stop reading as soon as i said "I just don't agree with it" "Totally different player".

CupWizier likes this.
  9. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

You guys just won't be happy with Zach but you are same guys was drooling over in the playoffs last year.

10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

by the way, Siakam has played 204 games, Zach 172. So, only 32 more games, less than half a season

and Siakam is averaging 23-7-4 while getting the defensive resistance a #1 option gets. But if you take away the 58 games of this season and jump back to Siakam's 3rd season, then he's at 146 games vs Zach's 172. But for Siakam, that's at the end of last year's playoffs when Siakam played 24 games. To get back to relative equivalence to Zach you'd need to look at Siakam at 120 games or so vs Zach at 172. At that point, Siakam was averaging 17-7-3 with a PER of 18.7 and a TS% of .628. Zach's at 7-6-2 with a PER of 9.9 and a TS% of .556

obviously, you can still trot out the excuse of the injury to explain Zach's lack of development, and maybe that's valid. But the 'he's-still-young' excuse is beginning to fail. I think the injury excuse is looking a little shaky too

11. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    If you're going to mention age I think you have to mention that Zach is just right now the age Pascal was as a rookie. Zach was 19 his rookie year and Pascal was 22.

Orion Bailey and kjironman1 like this.
  12. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You can definitely tell who actually watched the video and listened versus those who just read the title of the video and commented.

Besides this video was made before the season. It's not really possible to know where Zach would be at currently had he not gotten hurt.

GoBlazersGo and Orion Bailey like this.
  13. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I wonder if the injury might actually make him more tentative.

14. wizenheimer

Sure. But right now Zach is 2 years older than Jaren Jackson and Wendell Carter Jr., 1 year older than Michael Porter Jr., Rui Hachimura (5 mos.), PJ Washington, Jarret Allen & Mitchell Robinson, and the same age as John Collins. Zach is only 5 months younger than Bam Abedayo & Myles Turner, and 6 months younger than Domantas Sabonis

Zach will be 23 in 3 months. He's old enough, and experienced enough, that you can start to draw conclusions about the level of player he's going to be. Certainly, he has room to exceed those new expectations, but when you look around the league at his peers and position, at best he's middle of the pack...and that's being generous

15. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

It hasn't seemed to at this point?

16. James lamphear

Tell how many of those guys are the 5 option on the offense. What does that show up in the stats is set good screen and play defense he challenge probably about 95 percent of the shots the person he guards. He made numerous of players miss at the rim and due of not his fault we know clean up the boards. Zach not going put up big numbers on offense but his rebounds number are up his assist are up but his major role on is on defense.

Darkwebs, hoopsjock and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

his role isnt to score though. He is our last option of the starters. He is never going to get the looks to be able to get to those guys. he is supposed to be our defensive anchor.

He needs to learn not to foul as much and if so he will be fine.
    If not it could be a shorter career than antiscipated.

18. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

The other thing Zach needs to learn is how to hold onto rebounds. To many times he brings it down low and the guards steal it from him. Happens a couple times a game. Plus he needs to work on catching, doesn't have the best hands.

19. wizenheimer

ok...you guys are actually making my argument for me. You're both essentially saying that Zach is just a role player, like Harkless was. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not buying the stuff about Collins being forced into a role either; there is no hidden offensive talent waiting to be unleashed. If John Collins, or Sabonis, or Michael Porter, or Jaren Jackson were on the Blazers, they wouldn't be a minor 5th or 6th option on offense, any more than Trent is. They'd be getting there shots and would be climbing out of being a role player.

like I said, I'm not closing the book on Collins yet. But he sure isn't mostly blank pages at this point. He's played in 172 NBA games and unlike a lot of young players, Collins has played consistent minutes and had consistent opportunity

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  20. James lamphear

Really they be getting there shots playing with Dame CJ Nurk and Melo they might get 7-9 shots if there lucky. Just because they're getting big shots on there team don't mean there going get those shots with this crew.